Officer tases handcuffed woman for spitting on him - Page 7

Officer tases handcuffed woman for spitting on him

This is a discussion on Officer tases handcuffed woman for spitting on him within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by mlr1m You are comfortable knowing the police can decide on their own what it is that they feel you deserve? Michael I ...

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
Like Tree135Likes

Thread: Officer tases handcuffed woman for spitting on him

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    You are comfortable knowing the police can decide on their own what it is that they feel you deserve?

Michael
    I don't have confrontational dealings with them, so it isn't about what I deserve.
    ericb327 likes this.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

Originally Posted by mlr1m
    You are comfortable knowing the police can decide on their own what it is that they feel you deserve?

Michael
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I don't have confrontational dealings with them, so it isn't about what I deserve.
    Neither have I. Unless you count that time I refused to allow my vehicle to be searched. Luckily for me that officer did not give me what some believe I deserved.

Michael

VIP Member
    Neither have I. Unless you count that time I refused to allow my vehicle to be searched. Luckily for me that officer did not give me what some believe I deserved.

Michael
    Did you spit on him when you told him no?
    Old School likes this.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Did you spit on him when you told him no?
    No, and if anyone whould have spit on me in my younger years I would have at least tried to beat the crap out of them. But them I as a private citizen do not have to operate under the same rules as a person representing the Government does. A parent can slap a child for talking back. A police officer cannot. See the difference?

Michael
    suntzu likes this.

You can't slap your child in public, or somebody will report you to those same police. Not to mention, a parent has a responsibility and a duty to discipline their child. If more parents took that responsibility seriously we may have less people who feel its okay to spit on a police officer. Youre right that a police officer cannot slap someone for talking back. This particular officer did not do anything to the woman for talking back. She assaulted him. He subdued her. Please don't get me wrong, I am not for any police officer having unchecked authority over private citizens. Or for cops abusing their power. I just understand and condone this particular officer's actions.
    64zebra likes this.

VIP Member
    No, and if anyone whould have spit on me in my younger years I would have at least tried to beat the crap out of them. But them I as a private citizen do not have to operate under the same rules as a person representing the Government does. A parent can slap a child for talking back. A police officer cannot. See the difference?

Michael
    Who got slapped?
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by d2jlking View Post
    You can't slap your child in public, or somebody will report you to those same police. Not to mention, a parent has a responsibility and a duty to discipline their child. If more parents took that responsibility seriously we may have less people who feel its okay to spit on a police officer. Youre right that a police officer cannot slap someone for talking back. This particular officer did not do anything to the woman for talking back. She assaulted him. He subdued her. Please don't get me wrong, I am not for any police officer having unchecked authority over private citizens. Or for cops abusing their power. I just understand and condone this particular officer's actions.
    She already was subdued after she spat at him. Look at the video. She is leaning back against the counter with her hands behind he back. She did not look like she was going to do anything else.

The LEO decided to dispense punishment.....IMO
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    She already was subdued after she spat at him. Look at the video. She is leaning back against the counter with her hands behind he back. She did not look like she was going to do anything else.

The LEO decided to dispense punishment.....IMO
    Yeah, we get the point. You can stop repeating the same thing over and over again.

The offender herself admits she was resisting arrest and having a confrontation with the officer.

So do you really think that you can spit on someone and nothing drastic happens. Spitting is considered assault in this day and era.

Diseases transmitted by saliva: Hepatitis B virus - by Dr Pandula Siribaddana - Helium

"Saliva is considered to be one of the most common mediums that diseases choose as their mode of spread and some of the most contagious diseases are given this status due to their ability to spread through saliva."

There's a reason numerous states make spitting at a cop a crime, aside from being disrespectful. It poses a risk to their health.

I didn't read everyone's responses, but as someone else mentioned, depending on the state it is a felony. I think a taser is a reasonable response to someone committing a felony.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Yeah, we get the point. You can stop repeating the same thing over and over again.

The offender herself admits she was resisting arrest and having a confrontation with the officer.
    Just read the new article....still think I am right but I will be good
    Today is not a day to be quibbling over stupid things..........
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    After reading some posts and a bit of retrospect I have something to add. I have seen countless posts where members preach about use of force by civilians. Some responses here are quite interesting about what would happen if someone spit in your face! What if you're carrying? Do you respond with escalating force while armed? You've just made use of your firearm quite hard to defend in court. Now is the time to stand by your convictions and call the police and be a good witness. Your decision to go armed has limited your ability to respond with escalated force as some would argue although spitting could be assault, its not life threatening.

Any thoughts?
    I'm all for being a good witness but in my most likely case, I probably wouldn't have a set of cuffs on someone if they spit in my face. I, especially while packing will not do anything to provoke such behavior so the chances are pretty good that I wouldn't have been able to get out of the situation that resulted in someone spitting on me. And when that time comes, it's not a time for me to sit back and be a good witness. The fight is on because I am already in it, not trying to avoid it.

I can take a push or some other minor aggressive action from someone even and still try to calm the situation down by talking and reasoning but a personal fact about me is, someone's saliva in my face, armed or not, they have succeeded in forcing me to defend myself, making sure that it can't happen again. And although as of now, I don't carry pepper spray, I must say that in a civilian setting this is a perfect example of a great time to carry some. And while I don't believe that it's time for deadly force, I do believe that being spit on in the face crosses my line of remaining calm as it very much has the potential of resulting in great bodily harm from disease and is disgusting.

On another note and in my personal opinion, those who take the job in LE know that there's scuffles bumps and bruises but I don't think that it's in anyone's job description to sit there and take bodily fluids in the face lightly. That's why they call it an assault. Biology - The more you know...
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

VIP Member
    Well he could have always body slammed her, put leg shackles on her and a ball gag in her mouth to keep her from spitting. I wonder if someone would think that was over the top?

She played a stupid game, and guess what? She got the stupid prize.
    64zebra likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member
    I'm on the side of the LEO on this one. He seemed controlled and justified in his actions. A drunk has little respect for anyone, she assaulted the officer, he responded in a proper way.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    If its any consolation, hes most likely a terrible shot, divorced and an alcoholic. Most powermongering LEOs are.
    ......Where's the DISLIKE button?????

Why is it we can show our approval of things in this world, but not our disapproval? I -HATE- that everyone expects people to be politically correct. Some things in this world are not nice, why shouldn't they be just as accepted as words covered in flowers and rainbows?
    Last edited by sigmanluke; September 11th, 2012 at 07:51 PM. Reason: more
    suntzu, ericb327, wmhawth and 1 others like this.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Links