The Iraq war's Catch-22?

This is a discussion on The Iraq war's Catch-22? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Fobbit Fobbit : NPR And a few more books by our latests generation of American Soliders Stories From A New Generation Of American Soldiers : ...

Thread: The Iraq war's Catch-22?

Senior Moderator

The Iraq war's Catch-22?

Fobbit Fobbit : NPR

And a few more books by our latests generation of American Soliders

Stories From A New Generation Of American Soldiers : NPR
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

2. Remove Ads

How is that a Catch-22? Sure, the Fobbits are all about playing it safe and avoiding conflict, but in Catch-22 they tried to get out of duty by faking mental illness, like Jamie Farr on M*A*S*H. The Catch-22 was that in being sound enough of mind to fabricate such a situation, you prove your sanity and therefore get denied a release. I don't see a Catch-22 with the Fobbits.

Senior Moderator
    I meant it more as a satirical look at the war in Iraq, to my knowledge it is the first book the take a comedic look at the absurdities in the Iraqi war. Not a direct comparison, which I can't make becasue I haven't read it yet.

I'd call putting on a dress to claim insanity and go home "absurd" but these Fobbits are just doing their jobs.

Senior Moderator
    According to the author (self described Fobbit) it is meant to be satirical, but satire and sarcasm are often in the eye of beholder

The name calling and disdain is rooted in military culture and it is a part of life outside the military as well. There is a pecking order if you will, even in academia where being PC should root out the name calling and disdain -- after all, we all have roles to play. In my world if you're a Ph.D. you look down on the Ed.D., Psy.D, etc. folks. If you're an M.D. you look down on the D.O.

I served and recall during my first tour at Fort Bragg the 82nd would call the non-airborne legs - dirty nasty legs (fights between the 82nd and the legs of Corps use to occur all the time during physical training on Ardennes Street). Paratroopers of the 82nd call the 101st the puking buzzard (they're Air Assault but are called Airborne due to tradition). Even within the 82nd there was name calling. You didn't want to be from First Brigade, 504th PIR (the "no war 04") back in the 80s. 325 hated the 505th, who hated the 504th who hated 3/73, who hated DISCOM, who hated Headquarters and so forth.

Rangers from Regiment consider "regular" infantry less capable and so on down the line from white to black. Rangers are Special Operations Forces (SOF) but would be relegated to performing outer cordon for other SOF during direct action missions. I could go on, and on, and on.

Links