Federal Jury Duty - Page 2

Federal Jury Duty

This is a discussion on Federal Jury Duty within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I got out of federal jury duty last year by saying "I like to study theology" when I was asked about my hobbies. They followed ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Federal Jury Duty

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I got out of federal jury duty last year by saying "I like to study theology" when I was asked about my hobbies. They followed up by asking if I had strong religious convictions and if I could put those aside for the trial. I say "yes I do, and no I can't; it is who I am", and that was enough to let me go.

It reminded me of my fear of never wanting to be in a situation where I'm judged by my "peers" who were not clever enough to get out of jury duty.
    troutkiller likes this.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post

On a side note, the judge made the following statement (I wrote it down): "I will tell you all the law you need to know."
    Sure he will.

I'll bet he doesn't mention:
    ..."Is it true or false that when you sit on a jury, you may vote on the verdict according to your own conscience? "True," you say, but then why do most judges tell you that you may consider "only the facts" and that you are not to let your conscience, opinion of the law, or the motives of the defendant affect your decision?
    In a trial by jury, the judge's job is to referee the trial and provide neutral legal advice to the jury, beginning with a full and truthful explanation of a juror's rights and responsibilities. But judges rarely "fully inform" jurors of their rights, especially their power to judge the law itself and to vote on the verdict according to conscience. Instead, they end up assisting the prosecution by dismissing any prospective juror who will admit to knowing about this right..."
    Source: Jury Nullification

Note - I'm not saying that in this case, nullification should be exercised. Not familiar with that case at all. Only saying that there is no way the judge is going to "...tell you all the law you need to know." They may not use it, but while considering everything they are going to experience during the trial, they should know it.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vtxdpm View Post
    ..."Is it true or false that when you sit on a jury, you may vote on the verdict according to your own conscience? "True," you say, but then why do most judges tell you that you may consider "only the facts" and that you are not to let your conscience, opinion of the law, or the motives of the defendant affect your decision?
    As an example of why this type of instruction is important, I sometimes discus current events cases with coworkers. These coworkers have said, on more than one occasion, that they don't care what the letter of the law says and that they would (jury) vote according to their opinion of right and wrong; according to them doing something stupid that leads to a lethal confrontation, even if it were not illegal, automatically makes you guilty regardless of what the law says.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    I have to report for federal jury duty...

Both attorneys asked those seated in the jury box (I was not one of them) if anyone owned guns (handguns, rifles, or shotguns); who had a CWFL; who carried a pistol for self-defense; who was a member of the NRA; who had strong opinions about federal gun laws (for or against); did anyone have a problem with the law that states that convicted felons can't possess weapons?...
    "
    Did they dismiss any jurors after they answered those questions?

Good to know about the NRA bot. Being a teacher the defense always seems to think I will be sympathetic (I assume) and have made it harder to get out of it. Guess its time to get that Glock shirt and an NRA hat for jury duty!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Gforty View Post
    Did they dismiss any jurors after they answered those questions?
    Out of the original 18 in the jury box, they dismissed 6 in the first set of questioning. I picked 5 of the 6 correctly.

The anti-gun woman was gone; the guy who belonged to the NRA and owned 15 guns was excused; the retired FD guy with a LEO cousin; the woman whose son is in the Navy and headed to BUDS was excused; and one woman who didn't understand the difference between "any doubt" and "reasonable doubt."

In the next group of six, it was pretty clear which 2 were gone but I don't remember why. They only kept 2 of the 6 as alternates.

The rest of us were excused until next week.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaDawg View Post
    I got out of federal jury duty last year by saying "I like to study theology" when I was asked about my hobbies. They followed up by asking if I had strong religious convictions and if I could put those aside for the trial. I say "yes I do, and no I can't; it is who I am", and that was enough to let me go.

It reminded me of my fear of never wanting to be in a situation where I'm judged by my "peers" who were not clever enough to get out of jury duty.
    GD,

They asked if anyone had any religious, moral, or ethical convictions which would make it difficult or impossible to render a verdict on someone, and if it would prevent them from sending someone to prison. (I had thought about "Judge not lest ye be judged" as an answer.)

I don't want out of jury duty usually. At least in the past. Now, I have seen that justice is a fiction in our system. And I really just have way too much on my plate right now. So, I disagree with the not being clever enough to get out of jury duty. I consider it part of one's service. I just dislike how dirty it makes me feel.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    As an example of why this type of instruction is important, I sometimes discus current events cases with coworkers. These coworkers have said, on more than one occasion, that they don't care what the letter of the law says and that they would (jury) vote according to their opinion of right and wrong; according to them doing something stupid that leads to a lethal confrontation, even if it were not illegal, automatically makes you guilty regardless of what the law says.
    Yep, works both ways. I'd still rather have that than a jury that blindly considers only what they were told was "all the law they needed to know". And if a few are too far out of line, that's why there are 12 of them.

I would never try to get out of jury duty. I believe that in order for the system to work it requires people to subordinate their own desires and serve the greater good. American needs our voices to be heard. That's how I play it. Y'all are obviously free to do as you see fit.

I have been called 4 times to jury duty. I mention correctional officer or paramedic and get told your service isn't required, have a nice day.
    I really have no problem being on a jury, I think it is part of our duty as free Americans. I know if I ever end up facing a jury, I hope it isn't 12 people too stupid to get out of it. :)
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    Anyone that wants off jury duty, just go out and buy one fo those NOT GUILTY tee-shirts and wear it to court on your jury day, bet they dismiss you
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

Served first time ever last year in November on a Jury in a Federal Civil Case. Wasn't about guns or major crime, dang it, just a boring,"lady suing medical device manufacturer" for alleged damage from one of the devices.

Two days of watching her train wreck of a legal team get crushed by the defendants team. In the end, we could not rule for the plaintiff.

****sigh**** I wish the trial had been about firearms, but alas it was not.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links