Where were the Marine Embassy Guards??

This is a discussion on Where were the Marine Embassy Guards?? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It is, by international treaty, the responsibility of the host country to protect all diplomatic facilities. In many countries, FOR many countries, this is the ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Where were the Marine Embassy Guards??

VIP Member
    It is, by international treaty, the responsibility of the host country to protect all diplomatic facilities. In many countries, FOR many countries, this is the case, with only minimal internal security provided by the "home" country. For us, we generally have three "rings" of security at our diplomatic facilities. The outer most "ring" is provided by host country police/security forces. The "walls" of the facility are generally guarded by contract (or, in fewer cases, direct hired) guards that are paid for by the State Dept. They have primary responsibility for everything outside of the main chancery or embassy building. Inside the "main" building - at least in most cases - are the MSG detachments. All of these personnel are managed and overseen by the RSO, who has ultimate responsibility (under the Ambassador) for the security and safety of the personnel, facilities, and information at all embassies and consulates.

In places where there are specific dangers beyond the scope of the "normal" threats faced by diplomatic facilities/personnel, there are additional measures taken.

Having served at our Embassy in Kabul and in Baghdad (among others), I can definitively say that no...security has not been "turned over to local hired guns."
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I profess ignorance.

What's the difference between a consulate and an embassy?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Do you suppose that totally amateurish anti_Muslim movie is the beginning of a false flag operation, just a designed excuse to stir up trouble among the locals, and beyond?

Islam Movie-Maker 'Sam Bacile' May Not Exist - Consultant on anti-Muhammad movie thinks it's a pseudonym

The man who produced the anti-Islamic film—or trailer, at least—that set off the deadly violence in Libya and Egypt is identified as "Sam Bacile" in news accounts, but now it appears that no such person exists.
    Muhammad-Film Consultant: 'Sam Bacile' Is Not Israeli, and Not a Real Name - Jeffrey Goldberg - The Atlantic

As part of my search for more information about Sam Bacile, the alleged producer of the now-infamous anti-Muhammad film trailer "The Innocence of Muslims," I just called a man named Steve Klein -- a self-described militant Christian activist in Riverside, California (whose actual business, he said, is in selling "hard-to-place home insurance"), who has been described in multiple media accounts as a consultant to the film.

Klein told me that Bacile, the producer of the film, is not Israeli, and most likely not Jewish, as has been reported, and that the name is, in fact, a pseudonym.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Senior Moderator
    Some folks here think that we should be able to walk around with a nnuke.
    If we did, there would be no longer such a thing as Libyans.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member
    Hard to believe there was no intel warning them of what was brewing. The report I heard via radio said the guards outside the wall did nothing to stop the attackers. It is my understanding that the land inside the walls is sovereign US territory. It should be staffed and armed to defend itself from any anticipated attack. If they need to kill off a few hundred attackers then so be it. Just hope someone has the cajones to prevent this from happening again anywhere. May be time to gas up the B 52s.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    I profess ignorance.

What's the difference between a consulate and an embassy?
    Very generally, the Embassy is the diplomatic mission that serves to represent one head of state directly to another. It also is used to denote the building(s) where this delegation works, but it is technically the people/diplomats themselves. An Embassy is headed by an ambassador.

A Consulate, headed by a Consul, is a representative/mission from one state IN another state, but that generally is concerned with assisting with the welfare of persons from the "sending" state.

There can be only one Embassy in any given foreign country, but there can be several Consulates. In practice, Consulates fall "under" Embassies, and carry out many of the same functions as far as diplomatic contact and representing US interests overseas.

And oldnfat - it is a commonly held misconception that Embassy/Consulate territory is "US soil," but it is not. It belongs, territorially, to the host country. By long standing convention, host countries consider diplomatic facilities inviolate, and cannot enter without permission of the "sending" country, thus making diplomatic missions similar to "US soil" in some respects - but that extraterritoriality does not truly exist.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Nearly everyone in that part of the world. And I knew OPFOR would chime in with the real security info. HE KNOWS!
    Yeah, that was the skinny I was looking for.Thanks!
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oldnfat View Post
    Hard to believe there was no intel warning them of what was brewing. The report I heard via radio said the guards outside the wall did nothing to stop the attackers. It is my understanding that the land inside the walls is sovereign US territory. It should be staffed and armed to defend itself from any anticipated attack. If they need to kill off a few hundred attackers then so be it. Just hope someone has the cajones to prevent this from happening again anywhere. May be time to gas up the B 52s.
    UK Daily news reports that there were warnings. Most spefically attempts on both UK and US embassies in the prior months.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnfat View Post
    Who are you going to bomb? Do you have intel? Do you have a target list? What would be the ramifications? What guarantees that this will not further provoke attacks? What is the end result you are looking for except revenge? Was the new government complicit in this? If so, how are we going to approach the situation.....

Yeah, great critical thinking there.......must have spent all night trying to figure it out.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Who are you going to bomb? Do you have intel? Do you have a target list? What would be the ramifications? What guarantees that this will not further provoke attacks? What is the end result you are looking for except revenge? Was the new government complicit in this? If so, how are we going to approach the situation.....

Yeah, great critical thinking there.......must have spent all night trying to figure it out.
    Such a killjoy, Suntzu.
    aznav likes this.

VIP Member
    There are almost always "warnings" of some sort or another. It was not unknown to the State Department, or DSS, that this was a dangerous place. Without going into too much detail, additional personnel, equipment, and measures were being employed in Lybia, and specifically in Benghazi.

As a side note, from what I have been able to gather from news reports and talking to people who are in positions to know, the local security forces did, in fact, fight back. US security personnel (though not MSGs, since there was no Detachment there) also fought back - two were killed and two were wounded in a prolonged gunfight.

I'm sure more will come out as the survivors are debriefed...

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    What irks me is this "word" from the WH that they know, from "intelligence," that a particular group was behind this attack. Gee, where was this intel last week when stronger preventative actions could have been taken?
    aznav likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    What irks me is this "word" from the WH that they know, from "intelligence," that a particular group was behind this attack. Gee, where was this intel last week when stronger preventative actions could have been taken?
    Well, generally speaking, crimes can only be "solved," and the perpetrators "known," after the crime has been committed. As I've said, Benghazi and its personnel were protected at a higher level than most diplomatic facilities/personnel. No one has infinite resources. State was doing the best it could under the constraints that limit all of us - time, money, personnel. It's easy to say in hindsight that we should have known that a stupid youtube film would incite a mob that the real BGs would use as cover to launch a coordinated attack using RPGs, IEDs, and automatic weapons which would then set the building on fire - all while the Ambassador was in town for a quick visit - and to have posted a battalion of Marines around the perimeter that night. Of course, making that prediction is MUCH more difficult before the event takes place...

Does anyone know when this video first appeared on the Internet? I'm curious about the timing of the "protests".
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post

Ill spend all night trying to figure out what exactly this Libya government you speak of is.

Sent from my palm device
    suntzu and FLArmadillo like this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links