Where were the Marine Embassy Guards??

This is a discussion on Where were the Marine Embassy Guards?? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ That was one of my points....

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Where were the Marine Embassy Guards??

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    That was one of my points.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Just learned the identity of one of the other KIAs. All I can say is Rest in Peace, brother...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

We received warnings of possible attacks or protests before this September 11. I can't be specific (security reasons), but if the DoD received the warnings from the State Department, then I think thier embassies would have as well. Probably either underfunded and/or using third party nationals for security...
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

VIP Member
    The using of third party nationals has already been addressed. Outer perimeter security was host nation, both Libyan security forces and guards in the employ of the State Dept. From what I have been able to determine, they fought back, but were overwhelmed. Interior security was all US, and was more than would typically be at such a small facility. There were some very well trained and experienced people inside that consulate, and they apparently put up a good fight. As news gets released, you will see some of the folks who were in there, and you will know that they didn't just roll over...

And yes, everything is "underfunded," if you're the one receiving the funds. The mission to Lybia was getting a significant amount of money compared to other facilities of the same size, and had significantly "higher" security protocols in place. The simple fact is that you just can't stop/prevent everything. Sometimes you do your very best, and you just get outgunned. It sucks, but it happens.
    aznav and mano3 like this.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

The Marine guards in Egypt were not permitted to carry live ammo. Perhaps those in Liybia were subject to similar rules of engagement.

Marines At US Embassy In Egypt Were Not Given Live Ammo, USMC Blogs Claim
    Spirit51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Caertaker View Post
    The Marine guards in Egypt were not permitted to carry live ammo. Perhaps those in Liybia were subject to similar rules of engagement.

Marines At US Embassy In Egypt Were Not Given Live Ammo, USMC Blogs Claim
    What good are they then?
    Spirit51 likes this.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

VIP Member
    It is POSSIBLE that the Ambassador didn't permit the Marines to have access to live ammunition, but I find it unlikely. In every Embassy I have ever been to - and that's a fair number - there is at least one Marine (assuming there is an MSG Detachment there at all) who is armed and has live ammunition available at all times. All the MSGs have "react gear" and their own supply of ammunition available to them. It is SOP in the case of an emergency like this one for the Marines to all be called to duty, and to have their "react gear," weapons, and ammunition issued out. Again, it is POSSIBLE that the Amb squashed this, but it is still unlikely, and there would have been one MSG (at least) already armed. Of course, one person with a sidearm isn't going to do much against a mob of thousands, and we must remember that there were no deaths/injuries in Cairo...

I heard that the Marines did not have ammo issued to them, but it's late I and can't remember where I heard or read this.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Are you saying you want to infringe on the Libyans right to bear arms ? Some folks here think that we should be able to walk around with a nnuke.
    Some people DO go around with a nuke.....They're callled the United States Air Force..and the United States Navy.. I think they're qualified. May God bless em all
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Rumor has it that the Marines were all given a bag of rocks to throw in case of trouble rather than ammunition....
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    Rumor has it that the Marines were all given a bag of rocks to throw in case of trouble rather than ammunition....
    I was pretty good with rocks when I was a kid. Killed a few wabbits with rocks. Never underestimate an adversary that stands his ground.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaGunny View Post
    Does anyone know when this video first appeared on the Internet? I'm curious about the timing of the "protests".
    The one I watched was posted in July 2012.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member
    It seems there is some serious confusion/lack of attention to detail rearing its head again... There were NO Marines at the Consulate in Benghazi, where the firefight took place and four Americans were killed. There WERE Marines in Cairo, but there was no gunfire and no Americans were injured. So....whether or not the Marines in Cairo were armed is - in point of fact - irrelevant, as no one shot any Americans. And, again, I find it highly unlikely based on my long experience serving in Embassies that there was no ammunition in any of the MSGs hands...that would be completely against everything that I have seen in every post I have served in.
    aznav, msgt/ret and pgrass101 like this.

Air traffic from Whitman AFB has really picked up. Especially the B2. It has been our all night tonight. Wonder what's up with that? I know several of our military friends are being prepared for Africa....have been for a few months now. And Obama complained about Bush? He may have thought Bush was a hawk....but I think Obama is a chicken hawk....heavy on the chicken.

I don't know if it has been said here, but two of the four killed where former Navy Seals. I think they were the security. There is more than meets the eye on this entire incident.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    It seems there is some serious confusion/lack of attention to detail rearing its head again... There were NO Marines at the Consulate in Benghazi, where the firefight took place and four Americans were killed. There WERE Marines in Cairo, but there was no gunfire and no Americans were injured. So....whether or not the Marines in Cairo were armed is - in point of fact - irrelevant, as no one shot any Americans. And, again, I find it highly unlikely based on my long experience serving in Embassies that there was no ammunition in any of the MSGs hands...that would be completely against everything that I have seen in every post I have served in.
    I saw on the news that the Marines in Cairo are not allowed ammo for their weapons. I really hope THAT changes.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links