Got belt fed? My latest project

This is a discussion on Got belt fed? My latest project within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Thankfully like Iraq this country is a gun nut's dream which helps keep me sane. I can't bring them all back but every once in ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 5 Post By tacman605
  • 2 Post By oneshot

Thread: Got belt fed? My latest project

VIP Member

Got belt fed? My latest project

Thankfully like Iraq this country is a gun nut's dream which helps keep me sane. I can't bring them all back but every once in awhile you find cases that you can repair, refit and reuse and this is one of those cases.

This is a Soviet RPD belt fed machine gun. It fires a 7.62 x 39 round same as the AK but it is fed from a 25, 50 or 100 round non disintegrating belt. When the belt is empty you simply reload it by hand or machine with fresh ammo and start again.

I had found a couple of these and neither one was in good shape or worked well so taking two to make one worked out well in this case and I even used all the parts. They were soaked in diesel fuel for two days then cleaned up and parts repaired or replaced. These weapons were first fielded in the 50's and were never really popular partly due to they have a lot of parts compared to other belt feds but once you get them running they hold up well.

RPD (1).JPGRPD (2).JPGRPD (3).JPGRPD (4).JPG

I will test fire it later on and then use it somewhere. Now to look for another project.
    bigmacque, msgt/ret, dV8r and 2 others like this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Good job. I honestly like seeing odd weapons like these, especially when someone is taking the time to care for it and try to bring it back to solid operation.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

VIP Member
    Thanks. Like I said it helps pass the time and keep me sane. The older bolt guns and such I can bring home, Enfields, Martinis, Mausers you just have to file the form with the JAG officer.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

VIP Member

Thumbs up

Very cool Tacman. 'Glad you're able to find redeeming qualities in your work environment.

Senior Moderator
    Excellent. Enjoy it while you can.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

OD*
    Very cool indeed!

If you really get to liking the platform, DS Arms makes a nice semi-auto version.

"The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

VIP Member
    I had looked at those. Military Arms did a review on his and had issues never did go back and look to see if he got them worked out.

Saw a refurbished semi auto at a gun shop last week! If they got them up here in WI, you'll definitely be able to get one down south. Youll be just fine when you get back dont worry lol

Instead of pics, take a video of you shooting it. Let see some of the action.... Call me if you need help with it..
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Senior Moderator
    Cool tacman, I would love to just tinker with guns....I bet youwish you had more time to tinker too.

Let us know how it shoots
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    "One piece at a time, and it didn't cost me a dime"

Johnny Cash
    OD* and Harryball like this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Links