KA-BAR TDI Review: Unsafe for Duty

This is a discussion on KA-BAR TDI Review: Unsafe for Duty within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I love the actual knife, but feel the sheath and carry placement lack retention. KA-BAR TDI Knife Review: Unsafe for Duty | ThinBlueFlorida.com Randall...

Thread: KA-BAR TDI Review: Unsafe for Duty

KA-BAR TDI Review: Unsafe for Duty

I love the actual knife, but feel the sheath and carry placement lack retention.

KA-BAR TDI Knife Review: Unsafe for Duty | ThinBlueFlorida.com

Randall

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    The Austin PD officer cited in the article very nearly bled out. I rejected the TDI for reasons other than security, but, indeed, wearing a friction-fit weapon so openly, on the front of the belt, is not the brightest idea.

Whenever I cite the Austin incident, the TDI fanboys either shout me down, or ignore me. Ah, well. one can lead a horse to water...

I agree, Rexter. We've come a long way in duty holster technology in the last 25 years since I was a rookie. I wish those advances were applied to some of the police fixed blades I've seen.

Randall

VIP Member
    We were recently told that we could no longer carry any knives on our belt or have any pocket clips of knives visible.

I carried the small TDI on my inner belt as pictured behind the mags, but moved it due to concerns similar to what was stated in the article. I moved it to sit behind my taser/radio and it was not visible except when looking down from my point of view when wearing it. I could still reach it with either hand to deploy.

We were not told why the change in policy, only told no knives of any kind visible.
    I now only carry my SOG trident clipped in my left cargo pants pocket.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Senior Moderator
    If you go and train at TDI you will find that even the instructors there who train with this knife either have ditched the sheath or modified it in some way as to be more concealable while in uniform. The sheath is not the favorite part of the knife.

Rexster, im curious to learn you other reasons for not liking the TDI knife?

VIP Member
    I absolutely love this knife, but like others here, do not like the sheath. I've tried to modify the sheath, but that's not my strong suit....
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

64zebra, we have a similar policy regarding vsibility of knives. The strictness of enforcement has waxed and waned over the years. Presently, pocket-clipped knives seem to cause no comment from supervisors.

limatunes, the TDI is just not my cup of tea. I had already trained with Steve Tarani, and folks who had learned from him, in the use of the karambit. That is enough exotically-shaped cutlery for me. I have trained with several instructors' methods of using straight blades, with the edge in and edge out. The TDI just did not fit my ways of using knives. (Please understand I am no expert or master of anything!)

When I actually tried a friend's TDI, I found myself tending to draw it like a pistol, with my middle finger high against the "trigger guard," with my index finger extended, as if indexing a pistol. The problem there is, with the TDI, there is no trigger
    guard there, just blade, so if my index finger were to join my other fingers in gripping the knife, I would then, likely, be cutting myself. I am glad I noticed this at the outset! Rather than train myself to grip a TDI just so, I simply passed on the TDI.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    When I actually tried a friend's TDI, I found myself tending to draw it like a pistol, with my middle finger high against the "trigger guard," with my index finger extended, as if indexing a pistol. The problem there is, with the TDI, there is no trigger
    guard there, just blade, so if my index finger were to join my other fingers in gripping the knife, I would then, likely, be cutting myself. I am glad I noticed this at the outset! Rather than train myself to grip a TDI just so, I simply passed on the TDI.
    I would be interested to see a picture of this. You put your middle finger on the trigger guard?

I don't want to derail the thread though.
    ou
    On the note of drawing it like a gun.. Yeah, that's how it was designed to be. And if it's not your cup of tea, it's not. No biggie.. just curious.

limatunes, I learned to draw with a 1911, and to make sure I depressed the grip safety enough, I needed to achieve a high grip on the weapon, with my middle finger as high on the front strap as possible, and the web of my hand as high up on the tang as possible. This is actually the best way to grip any handgun, to mitigate muzzle flip. This nothing exotic, it looks totally normal, it is just that I might be more conscious than the average person with getting a high grip on the pistol.

With the TDI, if I grip the handle with all of my fingers during the draw, everything is fine, but if I grab it like I would a handgun, with my index finger indexed along the length of the weapon, I am suddenly faced with the need to urgently find a place for the index finger before engaging with the blade. Rather than try to overcome 20-something years of conditioned drawstroke reflex, it seemed better to simply forego the TDI. One exotic weapon, (karambit), plus straight blades, seemed enough.

I may well be the only person in the world who has experienced this problem with the TDI. I am a special child; probably dain bramage; I am a lefty who carries "primary" on my right hip, so I can engage in a gunfight in a restaurant without the need to bother setting my fork on the table
    first. (wink!)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    The Austin PD officer cited in the article very nearly bled out. I rejected the TDI for reasons other than security, but, indeed, wearing a friction-fit weapon so openly, on the front of the belt, is not the brightest idea.

Whenever I cite the Austin incident, the TDI fanboys either shout me down, or ignore me. Ah, well. one can lead a horse to water...
    Shouted down? The story is self-explanatory, so there is really nothing to shout about.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

VIP Member
    it would be sweet if there was a sheath with the ALS from Safariland holsters
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

VIP Member
    Well I would not call myself a TDI fanboy but carried one for years in several different places in the world and never had an issue.

Yep design a different sheath but to call it unfit for duty is rather a broad and unfair statement. If an officer's duty or backup weapon was grabbed and used on him would that weapon now be unfit for duty?

To each their own.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Links