Good police encounter last night. - Page 2

Good police encounter last night.

This is a discussion on Good police encounter last night. within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by BkCo1 What is with the license check? Papers please. My exact same thoughts...yay he was nice to you. So you get all ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Good police encounter last night.

Quote Originally Posted by BkCo1 View Post
    What is with the license check? Papers please.
    My exact same thoughts...yay he was nice to you. So you get all giddy cuz a cop treated you how he should? License check, jesus christ

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I don't like having to stop for having done nothing wrong. What I meant by good encounter was that last time I had an 'official' interaction with police, they disarmed me, unloaded my weapon and searched my car simply because I was in an empty parking lot eating my lunch.

This time, it was a 'routine' license check, the officer was polite (unlike the last time I hit a license check) and the officer didn't call his buddy over, have me get out of my car, and disarm me before checking my ID. THAT was the 'good encounter' part.

If I had my way, I would never see an officer standing outside my car unless I had been in an accident, or he was directing traffic around an accident. Not that I don't appreciate them and what they do- I just don't want to have to be stopped and my credentials checked for no reason.

So, instead of complaining about a simple license check, can we not just appreciate that the officer respected myself, my wife, and the fact that I have a right to carry a concealed weapon without making life difficult?
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    In short....he did his job. Next time I am at a Walmart and I get correct change I will notify the manager what a bang up job they are doing

I get your point but I do not give kudos to someone that does nothing more or less than they suppose to. This is turning into a "everybody gets an award" country.
    mlr1m likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    They look for that, and a U-turn will get you pulled over and most likely administered a DUI test. So, whether you agree with the procedure or not, it becomes a matter of producing your DL and going on your way--or producing your DL, walking the straight line, touching your nose, and whatever else they can dream up for a DUI test.
    DUI ROAD test-- ABC Backwards, Dancing, Cowboy - YouTube comes to mind...
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BkCo1 View Post
    What is with the license check? Papers please.

^YEP^^^^^^^^^

They tried that here in the eighties and we told them to stick it.

To the OP.
    Glad it all went well.
    There are a lot more good folks in blue than bad.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    In short....he did his job. Next time I am at a Walmart and I get correct change I will notify the manager what a bang up job they are doing

I get your point but I do not give kudos to someone that does nothing more or less than they suppose to. This is turning into a "everybody gets an award" country.
    What? You mean I shouldn't accept those "medals" they give my kids just for playing soccer?

I agree. When someone goes above and beyond their responsibilities they should be recognized.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar

It is with that attitude, that the Hangman comes

Quote Originally Posted by Nebraska12 View Post
    These "checkpoints" never bothered me. Call me one of the sheep if you will, but I'd rather they get the drunks off the streets before they kill someone or an innocent family. Even if it "impedes" my progress for a few minutes. Or, maybe it doesn't doesn't bother me because I've done nothing wrong....I've got nothing to hide.*shrug*

Glad you the encounter went well, as I hope one day they all would.
    . Into our town the Hangman came.
    Smelling of gold and blood and flame
    and he paced our bricks with a diffident air
    and built his frame on the courthouse square
    The scaffold stood by the courthouse side,
    Only as wide as the door was wide;
    A frame as tall, or little more,
    Than the capping sill of the courthouse door
    And we wondered, whenever we had the time.
    Who the criminal, what the crime
    That the Hangman judged with the yellow twist
    of knotted hemp in his busy fist.
    And innocent though we were, with dread,
    We passed those eyes of buckshot lead:
    Till one cried: "Hangman, who is he
    For whom you raise the gallows-tree?"
    Then a twinkle grew in the buckshot eye,
    And he gave us a riddle instead of reply:
    "He who serves me best," said he,
    "Shall earn the rope on the gallows-tree."
    And he stepped down. and laid his hand
    On a man who came from another land.
    And we breathed again, for another's grief
    At the Hangman's hand was our relief
    And the gallows-frame on the courthouse lawn
    By tomorrow's sun would be struck and gone.
    So we gave him way, and no one spoke.
    Out of respect for his Hangman's cloak.
    The next day's sun looked mildly down
    On roof and street in our quiet town
    And stark and black in the morning air,
    The gallows-tree on the courthouse square.
    And the Hangman stood at his usual stand
    With the yellow hemp in his busy hand;
    With his buckshot eye and his jaw like a pike
    And his air so knowing and business like.
    And we cried, "Hangman, have you not done
    Yesterday. with the alien one?"
    Then we fell silent, and stood amazed,
    "Oh, not for him was the gallows raised."
    He laughed a laugh as he looked at us: "
    … Did you think I'd gone to all this fuss
    To hang one man? That's a thing I do
    To stretch a rope when the rope is new."
    Then one cried "Murder!" One cried "Shame!"
    And into our midst the Hangman came
    To that man's place. "Do you hold," said he,
    "with him that was meant for the gallows-tree?"
    And he laid his hand on that one's arm.
    And we shrank back in quick alarm,
    And we gave him way, and no one spoke
    Out of fear of his Hangman's cloak.
    That night we saw with dread surprise
    The Hangman's scaffold had grown in size.
    Fed by the blood beneath the chute
    The gallows-tree had taken root;
    Now as wide, or a little more,
    Than the steps that led to the courthouse door,
    As tall as the writing, or nearly as tall,
    Halfway up on the courthouse wall.
    3. The third he took-we had all heard tell
    Was a user and infidel, and
    "What," said the Hangman "have you to do
    With the gallows-bound, and he a Jew?"
    And we cried out, "Is this one he
    Who has served you well and faithfully?"
    The Hangman smiled: "It's a clever scheme
    to try the strength of the gallows-beam."
    The fourth man's dark, accusing song
    Had scratched out comfort hard and long;
    And what concern, he gave us back.
    "Have you for the doomed--the doomed and black?"
    The fifth. The sixth. And we cried again,
    "Hangman, Hangman, is this the last?"
    "It's a trick," he said. "that we hangmen know
    For easing the trap when the trap springs slow."
    And so we ceased, and asked no more,
    As the Hangman tallied his bloody score:
    And sun by sun, and night by night,
    The gallows grew to monstrous height.
    The wings of the scaffold opened wide
    Till they covered the square from side to side:
    And the monster cross-beam, looking down.
    Cast its shadow across the town
    Then through the town the Hangman came
    And called in the empty streets my name-
    And I looked at the gallows soaring tall
    And thought, "There is no one left at all
    For hanging." And so he calls to me
    To help pull down the gallows-tree.
    And I went out with right good hope
    To the Hangman's tree and the Hangman's rope.
    He smiled at me as I came down
    To the courthouse square through the silent town.
    And supple and stretched in his busy hand
    Was the yellow twist of the strand.
    And he whistled his tune as he tried the trap
    And it sprang down with a ready snap
    And then with a smile of awful command
    He laid his hand upon my hand.
    "You tricked me. Hangman!," I shouted then.
    "That your scaffold was built for other men …
    And I no henchman of yours," I cried,
    "You lied to me. Hangman. foully lied!"
    Then a twinkle grew in the buckshot eye,
    "Lied to you? Tricked you?" he said. "Not I.
    For I answered straight and I told you true"
    The scaffold was raised for none but you.
    For who has served me more faithfully
    Then you with your coward's hope?" said he,
    "And where are the others that might have stood
    Side by your side in the common good?,"
    "Dead," I whispered, and sadly
    "Murdered," the Hangman corrected me:
    "First the alien, then the Jew …
    I did no more than you let me do."
    Beneath the beam that blocked the sky.
    No one had stood so alone as I
    And the Hangman strapped me, and no voice there
    Cried "Stay!" for me in the empty square

When we do not stand up against the injustice in this world because it does not apply to us and we have done nothing wrong, eventually they will come for us and there will be no one left to stand with us. Being so "ok" with a fourth amendment violation because it takes drunks off the street eventually turns into them coming for you when you do something that they do not like.
    JayTee and oneshot like this.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

My recent police encounter was a pretty good one.
    I had a flat tire on the interstate. I locked my pistol in the console when I was climbing under the Suburban to get the tire and put the jack in place. A trooper stopped behind me with his lights flashing. He helped me when my jack was not tall enough (the one that came with the car), by pulling a floor jack from his trunk. I still had my holster on. I mentioned to him that I had it on but the gun was in the console. He said that I didn't need to tell him that. I said that I wanted to let him know so if he saw my holster that he wouldn't get nervous. He was very nonchalant about it all.
    Tire fixed, I went on my way and thanked him for the help.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    . Into our town the Hangman came...

When we do not stand up against the injustice in this world because it does not apply to us and we have done nothing wrong, eventually they will come for us and there will be no one left to stand with us. Being so "ok" with a fourth amendment violation because it takes drunks off the street eventually turns into them coming for you when you do something that they do not like.
    If you view the police trying to catch more drunks driving as an "injustice," then so be it. I'm okay with having my "Papers," as some of you have called them, checked from time to time if it saves some family from losing a loved one due to some stupid drunk who won't give up the keys. I don't see where this is any violation of the 4th amendment as the state doesn't have to let me drive at all. I can deal with a minor inconvenience from time to time. After all, life isn't fair; we can't always have things our way.
    ClutchSR9C and FLArmadillo like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I've had nothing but great experiences with the police. You just have to be honest and up front with them and things are a lot easier.

Quote Originally Posted by ElkSniper View Post
    My recent police encounter was a pretty good one.
    I had a flat tire on the interstate. I locked my pistol in the console when I was climbing under the Suburban to get the tire and put the jack in place. A trooper stopped behind me with his lights flashing. He helped me when my jack was not tall enough (the one that came with the car), by pulling a floor jack from his trunk. I still had my holster on. I mentioned to him that I had it on but the gun was in the console. He said that I didn't need to tell him that. I said that I wanted to let him know so if he saw my holster that he wouldn't get nervous. He was very nonchalant about it all.
    Tire fixed, I went on my way and thanked him for the help.
    I think I'd want to stay armed if I was getting out to change a tire. Too many crazies running around looking for an opportunistic moment. But that's just me.
    Ionracas likes this.

Thanks for posting a positive for our LEO's. Most are hardworking and reasonable individuals doing an often thankless job.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    If you view the police trying to catch more drunks driving as an "injustice," then so be it. I'm okay with having my "Papers," as some of you have called them, checked from time to time if it saves some family from losing a loved one due to some stupid drunk who won't give up the keys. I don't see where this is any violation of the 4th amendment as the state doesn't have to let me drive at all. I can deal with a minor inconvenience from time to time. After all, life isn't fair; we can't always have things our way.
    No, the state does not have to let you drive at all. However, to keep me from going on about my way when I have somewhere to be so that an officer of the law can check my papers to make sure I am legal makes me furious. Especially when it is done at random. Whatever happened to having to have freaking probable cause to initiate a police contact. Where is the probable cause to set up a road block and stop people going down the road. They can't just stop everyone at any time to make sure you are legal or don't have anything that is verboten. I am all for getting drunks off the streets, but not at the cost of the rights which we hold dear. Would you be ok with being stopped randomly to ensure that you are not carrying drugs? Would you be ok with being stopped to make sure you are not driving around with a prostitute? I suspect not. The more we allow police and federal agents to get away with encroaching upon our rights, the less rights we have. The fourth amendment clearly states that I have the right to be secure in my person, property, and papers.

(for those who have forgotten, here is the text)
    The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

A license check is an unwarranted search of my papers with no probable cause. I have the right to tell the officer to pound sand and be on my way. I doubt that would go well for me, but thats for the court to decide. The roadblocks have been upheld in court, that does not mean they do not violate the constitution. If an officer sees me walking down the street, does he have the right to stop me just to see who I am? NO. He must have probable cause that I have committed, am committing, or am about to commit a crime. Why then does that same officer have the right to stop me driving down the street just to make sure I have a license??
    tricolordad likes this.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    (for those who have forgotten, here is the text)
    The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

A license check is an unwarranted search of my papers with no probable cause. I have the right to tell the officer to pound sand and be on my way. I doubt that would go well for me, but thats for the court to decide. The roadblocks have been upheld in court, that does not mean they do not violate the constitution. If an officer sees me walking down the street, does he have the right to stop me just to see who I am? NO. He must have probable cause that I have committed, am committing, or am about to commit a crime. Why then does that same officer have the right to stop me driving down the street just to make sure I have a license??

^^^^^^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^Chris nailed it,^^^^^^^^^^

4th Amendment Search and Seizure - U.S. Constitution - Findlaw
    Fourth Amendment - Search and Seizure

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Your auto , in most states is recongnized as an extension of your home.
    They aknowledge this even as a place you have a right to be secure , and allow you to protect yourself from those who would prey on you, just as you would in your house.

Would any of you advocate a police officer knocking on you door, demanding you open up, "just so he can accertain" if you are up to no good, or are not doing anything illegal?

Just because it isn't your "Ox being gored" doesn't make it right.

Give them an inch, they will take the the whole racetrack.

Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is.
    Liberty is not certified safe." -- gh@c2

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our street will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" Adolf Hitler, 1935

Trying to control crime with gun control laws is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

"Wrong is wrong, even if everybody is doing it. Right is right, even if nobody is doing it."
    St. Augustine
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links