Not All U.S. Diplomatic Facilities Have Marine Guards

This is a discussion on Not All U.S. Diplomatic Facilities Have Marine Guards within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I came across this article and felt it added to my understanding of our diplomatic facilities across the world. I am sharing the link in ...

Thread: Not All U.S. Diplomatic Facilities Have Marine Guards

I came across this article and felt it added to my understanding of our diplomatic facilities across the world. I am sharing the link in that spirit.
    The article states:

"According to the Marines, out of the 285-plus U.S. diplomatic security facilities worldwide, 152 have Marine Corps detachments, primarily to protect the facilities and the classified information they contain.

"Overall, the plan is to grow the number of MCESG detachments worldwide to 173."

State Department was discussing putting Marines in Libya 'sometime in the next five years
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Personally i think that's just insane. Why do we provide full details to people here in the states, and no protection to people over in hostile lands.

I'm going to cut it short and spare the lambasting of this stupid decision... DUMB...

VIP Member
    A very, very, VERY small number of State Department (and State Department "affiliated") people get personal security details in the United States. Only one - the Secretary of State - has a full time, dedicated detail. And, just so there's no confusion, none of the people involved in this domestic protection are MSGs.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    "...putting Marines in Libya 'sometime in the next 5 years."

I always thought the Marines went in first, but I guess it's really the diplomats.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    Yeah, OldVet, it very often is. As I've said before - and that article also says - many diplomatic posts don't have MSGs. And NO diplomatic posts have some sort of QRF Battalion sitting around in a back room, waiting for an armed mob to show up. These are DIPLOMATIC missions, and they are considered sacrosanct by long standing convention. Of course, some people blow them up anyway from time to time, but it we made them "hard" enough to survive any conceivable attack, they would not be able to serve as any sort of actual diplomatic mission.... It's a dangerous world, and all things carry risk. State, by and large, does an OK job trying to balance security with mission accomplishment. It is always a delicate balance, and sometimes things simply break bad.

Reading the comments in the OPs link was...sad. So much ignorance concentrated in such a small space.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    "These are DIPLOMATIC missions, and they are considered sacrosanct by long standing convention."

Alas, only in a civilized environment!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Sponsored Links