Recieved a letter in the mail from HLS today. - Page 2

Recieved a letter in the mail from HLS today.

This is a discussion on Recieved a letter in the mail from HLS today. within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Thanks. It's going to work out. The county I live in is notorious for doing stuff like this from what I hear. They are all ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Recieved a letter in the mail from HLS today.

Thanks. It's going to work out. The county I live in is notorious for doing stuff like this from what I hear. They are all about the $$$. Why else would they let a failure to appear sit for 5 years before they issued a warrant? They want more money!
    RussP at GlockTalk is a Troll!

I emalied a local lawyer earlier and I'll give him a call in the am.
    Spirit51 likes this.

Administrator
    OK - Notice that his post has already been deleted. Please stay on topic without any further personal comments.
    We are primarily a searchable information resource and database and not an Internet chat line.
    Obviously he was wrong. Carry on.
    gasmitty likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorblade View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't hand a lawyer 2k to go down to the court house and sort out something I might be able to sort out myself in 30 minutes.
    If you have documentation that shows everything was cleared up just take it with you.
    Take somebody with you just in case!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
    Yeah, right... I hope he doesn't listen to you. A friend of mine had a similar situation in that he got a letter saying there was a warrant for his arrest, for unpaid parking fines. He hadn't gotten any parking tickets..... so he's upset and saying "they can't do that" ...... figuring "maybe" when his sister borrowed his car maybe she got one. But he didn't feel responsible for a ticket she mayh have or have not gotten. He went down there to "straighten it out" .

That's when I got the phone call, "just listen I only have 3 minutes, I'm in jail and I need you to come down here and bail me out" .

Get an attorney, who can get with them and get it straightened out. It will be well worth the money. Take any documentation and write out a sequence of everything that occurred for him. Most likely, someone didn't get some necessary paperwork done somewhere, and you are now the recipient of a warrant as a result.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Yeah, right... I hope he doesn't listen to you. A friend of mine had a similar situation in that he got a letter saying there was a warrant for his arrest, for unpaid parking fines. He hadn't gotten any parking tickets..... so he's upset and saying "they can't do that" ...... figuring "maybe" when his sister borrowed his car maybe she got one. But he didn't feel responsible for a ticket she mayh have or have not gotten. He went down there to "straighten it out" .

That's when I got the phone call, "just listen I only have 3 minutes, I'm in jail and I need you to come down here and bail me out" .

Get an attorney, who can get with them and get it straightened out. It will be well worth the money. Take any documentation and write out a sequence of everything that occurred for him. Most likely, someone didn't get some necessary paperwork done somewhere, and you are now the recipient of a warrant as a result.
    Thanks eagleks. My feelings are that if they can screw this up then they are not to be trusted to any extent. I'm going to try to call them on Monday morning and try to fax them my receipt of expungment(if i can find it) but I doubt that will fly. I have less than 30 days to clear this UP before my hand gun permit is revoked. Thanks for your comments.

Bureaucracies are inherently inefficient and routinely make mistakes. It sucks you have to spend your hard earned dollars to correct someone else's mistake. On the other hand it's better for this to come out in the comfort of your own home than in a routine traffic stop or checkpoint. As you've already stated: "Its going to work out". Just take a deep breath and focus on the goal. Good luck!
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    You got a letter from HomeLand Security saying your permit was revoked? Did HLS issue you the permit? I believe it's up to the state to revoke a permit, not HLS. Something is fishy here. Check with your local PD, take a lawyer if it makes you feel better.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    You got a letter from HomeLand Security saying your permit was revoked? Did HLS issue you the permit? I believe it's up to the state to revoke a permit, not HLS. Something is fishy here. Check with your local PD, take a lawyer if it makes you feel better.
    Thats what I was thinking. This is not passing the smell test.

EDIT: I was informed that the OP showed the letter. It still doesnt make sense to me that HLS would be involved.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

I would be interested in seeing the letter. Maybe HLS notified the Sheriff's dept., and the Sheriff's dept. attached a copy of the letter from HLS?
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

"I was arrested but not charged".

If you were arrested, you WERE charged. Once you are charged, you will be given a court date to appear on your charge. If you miss said court date, they will issue a bench warrant for a FTA (fail to appear). I have no idea why it took 5 years for a warrant to be issued, which leads me to believe there is more to this.

If it were me... I would call the court clerk to confirm that a warrant was in fact issued. If so, a lawyer usually cant do squat. You will have to deal with the warrant. In most jurisdictions this means turn yourself in. Either bond out on an OR or pay a few bucks, depending on the charge, your history, etc... A lawyer will help you in court. Some jurisdictions issue a capias in which they will simply want to give you your new court date. If this is the case, good for you, but you wont know until you make the call.

This does not sound like a "money grab" to me. A warrant cant just be issued because a municipality is low on funds. If I were a gambling man I would wager that there is more to your story.

If you choose to not deal with the warrant, it will not go away. If I were in your shoes, I would deal with it as soon as possible. It at least shows responsibility that you want to get to the bottom of whatever the issue is.

Again, this is what I would do to handle the situation. Do not assume that this is advice that I am giving you. This is what I would do. You can take whatever course of action you feel is appropriate. I am not a lawyer.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Thats what I was thinking. This is not passing the smell test.

EDIT: I was informed that the OP showed the letter. It still doesnt make sense to me that HLS would be involved.
    Badey: "I would be interested in seeing the letter. Maybe HLS notified the Sheriff's dept., and the Sheriff's dept. attached a copy of the letter from HLS? "

I don't see where HLS would have jurisdiction over a state-issued permit. Something might come back on a FBI background check and the state denies the permit, but the Feds do not determine who gets a permit--states/local municipalities do. If the Feds do decide, that's one more reason for not having federal CC permits.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    I would be interested in seeing the letter. Maybe HLS notified the Sheriff's dept., and the Sheriff's dept. attached a copy of the letter from HLS?
    Badey: "I would be interested in seeing the letter. Maybe HLS notified the Sheriff's dept., and the Sheriff's dept. attached a copy of the letter from HLS? "

I don't see where HLS would have jurisdiction over a state-issued permit. Something might come back on a FBI background check and the state denies the permit, but the Feds do not determine who gets a permit--states/local municipalities do. If the Feds do decide, that's one more reason for not having federal CC permits.
    Just as a note to those who question the reason Homeland Security was mentioned you may want to look at the TN state gov site that discusses handgun carry permits and note the top of the page and how they identify themselves. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised that their stationary used for official correspondence also includes the homeland security designator.

Handgun Carry Permit General Information
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Another member gave me some info. If he wants everyone to know who he is he can respond. I give him full credit on the find...Look at the top of the screen, oldvet....

Handgun Carry Permit General Information
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

My advice? Get a good local lawyer and talk to him. He would be the one to give you the straight information.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

OD*
    I believe the Department of Homeland Security uses the acronym DHS and not HLS.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links