Recieved a letter in the mail from HLS today. - Page 3

Recieved a letter in the mail from HLS today.

This is a discussion on Recieved a letter in the mail from HLS today. within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by OD* I believe the Department of Homeland Security uses the acronym DHS and not HLS. Perhaps it was HealthSouth or Harvard Law ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Recieved a letter in the mail from HLS today.

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    I believe the Department of Homeland Security uses the acronym DHS and not HLS.
    Perhaps it was HealthSouth or Harvard Law School revoking his carry license.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    MeanAction: Hang in there and let us know how it all turns out............
    Spirit51 likes this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Here's what I do know about the law... If in fact you have an actual "failure to appear" warrant, there's no way you're going to go down to the police station or court house and "just take care of it" or work it out with the one visit.

What will happen is you'll be arrested for the "failure to appear" warrant. You'll be required to post a new bond, and schedule a new court date. It will be hashed out before a judge, and I can assure you, you'll have to post a bond or sit in jail waiting for your new court date.

It doesn't matter if you have all the documentation or not. Showing it the LEO's, or court clerk is not going to take care of it. You'll have to present your evidence or case before the judge who issued the warrant.

It is a judge who signed the warrant, and it is the judge who has to be satisfied the case is bogus or wasn't valid... not the LEO's or court clerk.

Now, if you go in, expecting that this is what's going to happen, and are prepared to post a new bond, and go through all the hassle of being re-arrested, and bonding out with a bail bondsman, you'll be able to go through it relatively easy. However, if you go down there expecting to tell them they are in the wrong, and they screwed up and you're in the right... I believe you'll find yourself in for a nice surprise.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by MeanAction View Post
    My handgun permit has been suspended. Apparently, I am a fugitive from justice from my local Sheriff's department. I was arrested but never charged in 2007. Jump to 2012. Suppossedly, I failed to appear so a warrant was issued on 9/13/12. Does this sound right? I went to court back in 2007 and the charge was dissmissed. I paid to have the charge expunged back in 2007. Since my dismissal in 2007, I have passed numerous Tennessee Bureau of Investigation background checks when I purchased firearms and I have been issued a Handgun Permit. What is going on here? Are they milking me for $? I talked with the dispatcher at the SO office today and she instructed me to go to the county clerk and talk with them. I hope they don't try to get stupid and arrest me. Anyone have any advice? Thanks for your time.
    I cant find anything that HLS would stand for besides: Harvard Law School and House Legislative Session. Talk to an attorney.

I would gues that it is homeland security at the state level.
    oneshot likes this.

You have not considered either that someone may be using your name. That has come up many times with CC . People apply and find out they are wanted or have some conviction they never knew of.
    No madder what you do . Do not trust LEO. They are not your friend . They have no interest in justice right or wrong. They have one job and that is agenda.
    They have no problem hiding the truth from you. Even if they know you have done nothing wrong a chance to grab a gun they will lock you up. Make you life a mess and when your prove not to have done wrong ..so what. And they will still make you go back to court to get your gun .
    Get a lawyer never trust a LEO.
    Bit harsh but just the world we live in today.
    tricolordad likes this.

Well my man, you're in a pickle.

I'm not giving advice because I'm not a lawyer but, I'll tell you what I would probably do.

Based on what you have stated, I suspect there's an arrest warrant issued. Sooner or later the Sheriff's department is going to assemble a task force to apprehend old warrants, or if you get unexpectedly stopped for a routine traffic stop, the outcome is still the same, you're going to jail, period!

If you walk into the court house on your own to clear it up, the outcome is still the same, you'll be arrested and booked into jail.

Myself, I wouldn't want anything like that hanging over my head and would want it cleared up as soon as possible.

If it were me, I would have the money necessary to post bail or the money on hand for a bail-bondsman first. I would have someone whom I trusted with my life hold the money and accompany me to the police station and turn myself in to clear it up. It looks much better when you turn yourself in when you face the judge.

After you're arrested and booked, make bail and try to get an affordable scum sucking lawyer. If you can't afford one, depending on the charge, the state may appoint one for you?

At any rate, "I" would want to take care of the matter on my time and on my own terms, and not have my arrest occur expectantly and in an un-opportune time.

Just my 2-1/2 cents worf...
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

I would say get a lawyer to handle the situation. If for no other reason just to have legal council on the books so that in the future if this happens again it will be easier to resolve. If they did it once they can do it again. And considering the current state of affairs in this country the lawyer will be worth every penny just to have him familiar with you in the coming years.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    You got a letter from HomeLand Security saying your permit was revoked? Did HLS issue you the permit? I believe it's up to the state to revoke a permit, not HLS. Something is fishy here. Check with your local PD, take a lawyer if it makes you feel better.
    LOL, My local DMV is also the DHL office. The letter has both the TN state seal and the DHL header and it states Hand Gun Division.
    RussP at GlockTalk is a Troll!

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis1209 View Post
    Well my man, you're in a pickle.

I'm not giving advice because I'm not a lawyer but, I'll tell you what I would probably do.

Based on what you have stated, I suspect there's an arrest warrant issued. Sooner or later the Sheriff's department is going to assemble a task force to apprehend old warrants, or if you get unexpectedly stopped for a routine traffic stop, the outcome is still the same, you're going to jail, period!

If you walk into the court house on your own to clear it up, the outcome is still the same, you'll be arrested and booked into jail.

Myself, I wouldn't want anything like that hanging over my head and would want it cleared up as soon as possible.

If it were me, I would have the money necessary to post bail or the money on hand for a bail-bondsman first. I would have someone whom I trusted with my life hold the money and accompany me to the police station and turn myself in to clear it up. It looks much better when you turn yourself in when you face the judge.

After you're arrested and booked, make bail and try to get an affordable scum sucking lawyer. If you can't afford one, depending on the charge, the state may appoint one for you?

At any rate, "I" would want to take care of the matter on my time and on my own terms, and not have my arrest occur expectantly and in an un-opportune time.

Just my 2-1/2 cents worf...
    I called the So on Fri evening and they said the warrant was issued on 9/13/12 for failure to appear for a misdemeanor. If I was arrested I'm pretty sure it would be a signature bond. Either way, I have to clear this up within 30 days or my hand gun permit will be revoked and cost me even more money. Thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    You have not considered either that someone may be using your name. That has come up many times with CC . People apply and find out they are wanted or have some conviction they never knew of.
    No madder what you do . Do not trust LEO. They are not your friend . They have no interest in justice right or wrong. They have one job and that is agenda.
    They have no problem hiding the truth from you. Even if they know you have done nothing wrong a chance to grab a gun they will lock you up. Make you life a mess and when your prove not to have done wrong ..so what. And they will still make you go back to court to get your gun .
    Get a lawyer never trust a LEO.
    Bit harsh but just the world we live in today.
    It's my warrant from a charge in 2007 that was dismissed and I paid $700 to have expunged. They are saying that I didn't appear 5 years ago and they just now got around to issuing the warrant.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Here's what I do know about the law... If in fact you have an actual "failure to appear" warrant, there's no way you're going to go down to the police station or court house and "just take care of it" or work it out with the one visit.

What will happen is you'll be arrested for the "failure to appear" warrant. You'll be required to post a new bond, and schedule a new court date. It will be hashed out before a judge, and I can assure you, you'll have to post a bond or sit in jail waiting for your new court date.

It doesn't matter if you have all the documentation or not. Showing it the LEO's, or court clerk is not going to take care of it. You'll have to present your evidence or case before the judge who issued the warrant.

It is a judge who signed the warrant, and it is the judge who has to be satisfied the case is bogus or wasn't valid... not the LEO's or court clerk.

Now, if you go in, expecting that this is what's going to happen, and are prepared to post a new bond, and go through all the hassle of being re-arrested, and bonding out with a bail bondsman, you'll be able to go through it relatively easy. However, if you go down there expecting to tell them they are in the wrong, and they screwed up and you're in the right... I believe you'll find yourself in for a nice surprise.
    It's was a misdemeanor back in 2007. That I paid a lot of money to "suppossedly" handle. This is really leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Do not post the actual letter here unless you redact your personal information. NOT a good idea!
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    What QK said above...........NOT a good idea
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    I would get an attorney first. Our local paper list people every week who were arrested at the police station,probably trying to clear up a warrant without legal help.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

I just spoke with a friend who works local PD. He looked into things and said that there has obviosly been a mistake and that he will go with me on Mon. If they are adamant about taking me into custody he can stop them and let me get my car home and help me turn myself in. The bond will be $500 my part if that's the case. What is messed up is that I have had a warrant out for me since 2007 and I have passsed numerous TBI background checks and been pulled over several times and it didn't show up. I'm glad that it has surfaced in this manner so i can handle it on my terms.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links