Recieved a letter in the mail from HLS today.

This is a discussion on Recieved a letter in the mail from HLS today. within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Way too many incorrect acronyms and inconsistencies in this thread... I'm not buyin' it....

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Recieved a letter in the mail from HLS today.

Distinguished Member
    Way too many incorrect acronyms and inconsistencies in this thread... I'm not buyin' it.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    You have not considered either that someone may be using your name. That has come up many times with CC . People apply and find out they are wanted or have some conviction they never knew of.
    No madder what you do . Do not trust LEO. They are not your friend . They have no interest in justice right or wrong. They have one job and that is agenda.
    They have no problem hiding the truth from you. Even if they know you have done nothing wrong a chance to grab a gun they will lock you up. Make you life a mess and when your prove not to have done wrong ..so what. And they will still make you go back to court to get your gun .
    Get a lawyer never trust a LEO.
    Bit harsh but just the world we live in today.
    Agreed. Definitely lawyer up first thing Monday morning and figure out a game plan.

Worse come to worse, you can br in and out of county jail within 24 hours. The warrant won't go away, just get it over with.

Sent from my palm device
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by whoppo View Post
    Way too many incorrect acronyms and inconsistencies in this thread... I'm not buyin' it.
    You probably don't think we landed on the moon either.
    RussP at GlockTalk is a Troll!

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    You got a letter from HomeLand Security saying your permit was revoked? Did HLS issue you the permit? I believe it's up to the state to revoke a permit, not HLS. Something is fishy here. Check with your local PD, take a lawyer if it makes you feel better.
    No, I got a letter from Department of Safety and HomeLand Security Hand gun Divison with a State of TN seal on the Top stating that my permit was SUSPENDED. Also included was another 2 sided form for the appeal information to be entered. My local DMV, where I got my permit and my DL is the Department of Safety and Homeland Security. Here's the website to prove it. Tennessee Department of Safety & Homeland Security

Quote Originally Posted by whoppo View Post
    It's called Department of Safetly and Homeland Security. It's where we go to get our DL's and our handgun permits. Here is the website to prove it. Tennessee Department of Safety & Homeland Security

Quote Originally Posted by kb2wji View Post
    "I was arrested but not charged".

If you were arrested, you WERE charged. Once you are charged, you will be given a court date to appear on your charge. If you miss said court date, they will issue a bench warrant for a FTA (fail to appear). I have no idea why it took 5 years for a warrant to be issued, which leads me to believe there is more to this.

If it were me... I would call the court clerk to confirm that a warrant was in fact issued. If so, a lawyer usually cant do squat. You will have to deal with the warrant. In most jurisdictions this means turn yourself in. Either bond out on an OR or pay a few bucks, depending on the charge, your history, etc... A lawyer will help you in court. Some jurisdictions issue a capias in which they will simply want to give you your new court date. If this is the case, good for you, but you wont know until you make the call.

This does not sound like a "money grab" to me. A warrant cant just be issued because a municipality is low on funds. If I were a gambling man I would wager that there is more to your story.

If you choose to not deal with the warrant, it will not go away. If I were in your shoes, I would deal with it as soon as possible. It at least shows responsibility that you want to get to the bottom of whatever the issue is.

Again, this is what I would do to handle the situation. Do not assume that this is advice that I am giving you. This is what I would do. You can take whatever course of action you feel is appropriate. I am not a lawyer.

IMO THe best post yet. Good advice.
    Hopyard likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Recieved a letter in the mail from HLS today.

Quote Originally Posted by MeanAction View Post
    No, I got a letter from Department of Safety and HomeLand Security Hand gun Divison with a State of TN seal on the Top stating that my permit was SUSPENDED. Also included was another 2 sided form for the appeal information to be entered. My local DMV, where I got my permit and my DL is the Department of Safety and Homeland Security. Here's the website to prove it. Tennessee Department of Safety & Homeland Security
    Well, if you'd properly stated that or used the proper acronym in you title and explained that in your original post, there'd have been a lot less confusion! There's no need to get snotty with those who reply when your posting is vague.

You need to take care of businees and then worry about your permit. It won't do you much good sitting in jail.

And your attitude? It won't get you very far on this forum. You ask for comments and advice, and tehn get snippy with those who don't state what you want to hear.
    Ionracas, RichB70, Bark'n and 2 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    I just spoke with a friend who works local PD. He looked into things and said that there has obviosly been a mistake and that he will go with me on Mon. If they are adamant about taking me into custody he can stop them and let me get my car home and help me turn myself in.
    Do yourself a favor and get a blankity-blank lawyer! Period. End of discussion. A lawyer can represent you in the court, can appear in your stead, and if what you are saying is correct that this was handled and expunged, should be able to get this taken care of. I don't care what some buddy says or that say say they'll be able to do anything. If you try to go yourself, you will likely get a go directly to jail, do not pass go, do not collect $200 and you will be in a lot worse of a position to try and deal with it.

Here is how LEO works.
    Soldier had a restraining order on him, he had done nothing but she ask for it in hopes it would help in custody fight. She calls him on base says it would be ok to come get his stuff.
    Top says NO way. He calls local LEO they say no problem an office will go with him. He goes. As they said LEO meets him down the road they both go to the house. Soon as he knocks on the door.
    Cuff and arrest him charged with violating the order. 100% proof of every step of what happen Judge did not care.
    When LEO office says trust me look out you about to get framed.

Distinguished Member
    You probably don't think we landed on the moon either.
    Nah... I'm pretty sure that whole moon thing is legit... in fact, back in my college days I seem to recall a bunch of us actually went there during some kind of party. I'd offer more details on that, but it's all a little "hazy".
    CaptSmith likes this.
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

It's was a misdemeanor back in 2007. That I paid a lot of money to "supposedly" handle. This is really leaving a bad taste in my mouth.
    I have talked with many people that have had lawyers "handle" warrants, only to discover the warrants were not "handled." I would say they were lying, wrong, or mistaken, but it happened too frequently. The only handling going on was the lawyer handling their money. On expunging an arrest, I have no doubt that the same thing could happen-lazy lawyer, crummy admin assistant, bad communication, or just plain error. I am very interested to see exactly where the error was. Hopefully you have some documentation of the order to expunge. I'm not sure how your LEO friend can have them "not" arrest you if there is a warrant. Judge's signature trumps my friend the cop until the warrant is recalled.
    Best of luck, and good luck on finding out who dropped the ball...if the lawyer did, he will cover it like a cat covering poop.
    What Would Gumby Do?

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Plan to be gone a couple of weeks, just in case. Don't drive to the office, catch a cab or a bus. Better yet, catch a cab or a bus to the lawyer's office, and ride with him to the cop-shop.

Bring /copies/ of your legal papers you can find and give them to the lawyer.

Strip your wallet and pockets of non-essential items. Carry only the minimum for a sandwich and transportation, ID, etc.

Good luck this week Meanaction....Amigo, what I tell people who come up with outrageous things for me to do is.."sure we went to the moon in 69 did'nt we,?? no problem..?"

Maybe they locked him up

Update: I couldn't find my receipt. I think it was in my stuff that was water damaged last year. Anyway, I called the circuit court clerk and they told me to come down and get a CD's of the days in question and listen to them. She told me to write the time stamps down and the judge will review and rescind the warrant if he see's fit. I had my buddy go to the court house and he came out with two documents and two cd's. Upon further review, I noticed a some bold print that on one form that read: THE CASE IS TO BE RESET FOR 22 DAY OF FED 2007, TO SHOW COMPLAINCE. FAILURE TO APPEAR ON THIS DATE WILL RESULT IN A CAPIAS. Well, I look at the date the capias was issued and it was issued for failure to appear on 3/22/07. I had my friend go back and get the CD of Feb 22 2007 for my review. I listened to all three CD's and I'm going to be fine. There had to be a clerical error cause the recordings are in my favor. Went to court 3/2/06 which retired till review of case on 02/22/07 at which time the judge dismissed it. But then on 3/22/07 he calls my name again for another review for the same charge and since I had that dismissed the month prior I wasnt there and a capias was issued. I'm golden. I'm turning my time stamps and a nice letter with that paper that has the date into the judge tomorrow for his review. I made sure my letter tone let the court save face so I can get this rescinded ASAP. Thanks for everyone's help in this. I will let you know how the next few days go once I try to get this suspension off my permit.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links