Recieved a letter in the mail from HLS today.

This is a discussion on Recieved a letter in the mail from HLS today. within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by CaptSmith Good luck this week Meanaction....Amigo, what I tell people who come up with outrageous things for me to do is.."sure we ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Recieved a letter in the mail from HLS today.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptSmith View Post
    Good luck this week Meanaction....Amigo, what I tell people who come up with outrageous things for me to do is.."sure we went to the moon in 69 did'nt we,?? no problem..?"
    LOL, thanks. I think I got it handled. We will see what the judge thinks of my findings.
    RussP at GlockTalk is a Troll!

2. Remove Ads

Update: Judge's clerk looked over findings and had additional paperwork pulled that proved I showed when I was suppossed to. He said he would have the warrant rescinded but because the dispostion was incorrect that I would have to come to court to have this completely fixed. He set a date for 10/1/12 and stated that the judge would dismiss and there would be no court costs. He also said that he, the judge's clerk, would handle my Permit suspension paperwork because the reason it was suspended was a clerical error. Hopefully, Monday's court goes as planned. Thanks to everyone for their advice.
    Poseidon, darbo, Bark'n and 1 others like this.

Congrats on getting it cleared up.
    MeanAction likes this.

Glad it got resolved to your satisfaction. Follow up and make certain all the tees are dotted, and the is crossed, and don't look back.

Congratulations!
    MeanAction likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    Glad to hear really nice there will be no court costs.
    MeanAction likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

The bad thing is that without even being aware a warrant had been issued you could have been stopped for a traffic infraction etc by LEO and next thing you know your headed to jail and until you get legal counsel etc may sit there til you see a judge and since it was a FTA warrant if bond is set may be pretty hefty.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    The bad thing is that without even being aware a warrant had been issued you could have been stopped for a traffic infraction etc by LEO and next thing you know your headed to jail and until you get legal counsel etc may sit there til you see a judge and since it was a FTA warrant if bond is set may be pretty hefty.
    I have been stopped at least twice since the warrant was issued in 2007. The bond would have been $5000. I think the bonds are standard so you don't have to wait to see a judge before you bond out but yes it would have been inconvenient and costed me much more than the way I have handled it. So far, it has only costed me a lunch, a breakfast and $3 for the cd recordings of court. I fed my friend each time he helped me.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Glad it worked out. Endevour to persevere.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Update: I went to court and my case was dissmissed again. As far as the handgun permit suspension, they weren't so helpful. I was bounced from clerk to clerk and room to room. Eveyone acted like it was the first time they had seen the handgun permit suspension paperwork. I left and called the handgun unit. The lady there wasn't that helpful either. So I went back to the clerk. I got certified copies of the recall of the capias warrant and copies of the dismissed case which I then sent certified mail to the hadgun division along with a total of $52 in money orders for reinstatement fees. I hope this is sufficient. I will do one last follow up after I follow up with the handgun division to clarify my status. Thanks to those who offered advice and best wishes.
    Last edited by OD*; October 3rd, 2012 at 11:19 AM.

UPDATE: I recieved a letter from the DHS and they said I was good to go except for paying $12.50 court cost. I called them to clarify and then called the Nashville court. Thye had no record of me so I went down to my local court. Before, when I was trying to get them to help me they knew nothing about it but this time when I went back and told them I need to pay them some money they all of a sudden knew all about it and couldn't get me a receipt printed fast enough. The one lady that was rude to me chimed in and was full of answer this time but last time she acted like I'm the first person to ever have a mistake happen to and the first person she'd ever met with handgun permit issues. I should have took her a cheesecake lasttime and this would be fixed. Anyway, I called the DHS and they had me fax a copy of the receipt and told me to call back in a few days to check the status of my permit! I'll do a final follow up soon! I got my fingers crossed but not holding my breath.
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; October 12th, 2012 at 09:37 PM.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Well, there you go. Persistance has paid off.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Well, there you go. Persistance has paid off.
    That may be true. But it seems like a serious amount of hassle for someone whom hasn't done anything wrong. It was a clerical error that was beyond his control. It's cost him both time and money. And, as the average tax payor, he has absolutely no recourse to recoup that cost...short of spending more money to sue the city.
    'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'
    NRA Member
    NRA Life of Duty Member

VIP Member
    What a nightmare. It reminds me of one of my many battles with DHEC. The left hand doesn't speak to the right, and nobody will sign off on anything, since it suggests accountability.
    atctimmy likes this.

VIP Member
    Last summer I went in to renew my Ohio DL. I was told that PA had suspended my DL and I had to work things out with them before Ohio would let me renew. I found out that PA wanted their pound of flesh for an under aged drinking citation issues to me almost 22 years ago. Like the OP my case had been dismissed by a judge a few days after being issued but due to a spelling error of my very long German last name it popped back up in the system.

Here's why: Recently all 48 contiguous states have gone to a shared SSN based records database. My name was misspelled on some court paperwork but my SSN was correct and when my two files were merged it looked to PA that I had never dealt with the issue. I was able to resolve the issues after a week or two but it was a real PITA. Little paper kings in their government fiefdoms can be very hard to deal with. Thankfully a nice court clerk was able to dig up the original paperwork for me and get it sent over to the DMV (along with a copy for me). In the end it worked out but it sure is a PITA to deal with the government, be it state or fed.

Required reading for everyone here: The Trial by Franz Kafka. Ya'll are lightweights.

Glad the matters are all resolved.
    Hopyard likes this.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links