Recieved a letter in the mail from HLS today.

This is a discussion on Recieved a letter in the mail from HLS today. within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My handgun permit has been suspended. Apparently, I am a fugitive from justice from my local Sheriff's department. I was arrested but never charged in ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Recieved a letter in the mail from HLS today.

My handgun permit has been suspended. Apparently, I am a fugitive from justice from my local Sheriff's department. I was arrested but never charged in 2007. Jump to 2012. Suppossedly, I failed to appear so a warrant was issued on 9/13/12. Does this sound right? I went to court back in 2007 and the charge was dissmissed. I paid to have the charge expunged back in 2007. Since my dismissal in 2007, I have passed numerous Tennessee Bureau of Investigation background checks when I purchased firearms and I have been issued a Handgun Permit. What is going on here? Are they milking me for $? I talked with the dispatcher at the SO office today and she instructed me to go to the county clerk and talk with them. I hope they don't try to get stupid and arrest me. Anyone have any advice? Thanks for your time.
    RussP at GlockTalk is a Troll!

Free legal advice from me: talk to an attorney and don't listen to anything else I say.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Free legal advice from me: talk to an attorney and don't listen to anything else I say.
    What he said. I wouldn't even attempt to give anyone advice on this one.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Don't just stroll into the SO. Get a lawyer so your rights are not stepped on. Unfortunately this will turn into a guilty until proven innocent case which could take some time to straighten out if you didn't keep records.
    Spirit51, Hopyard and nerdyvirgin like this.

Personally, I wouldn't hand a lawyer 2k to go down to the court house and sort out something I might be able to sort out myself in 30 minutes.
    If you have documentation that shows everything was cleared up just take it with you.
    Take somebody with you just in case!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
    OldVet and atctimmy like this.
    To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will.
    Ronald Reagan

I have NO idea of what the legal ramifications are for what your situation is but be very very sure that if you show up at a law enforcement facility and there is a warrant for your arrest you won't be leaving real quick or at least without a financial incentive being paid

Have a lawyer proceed with this, don't risk it without professional legal assistance.
    Spirit51, Hopyard and rigel42 like this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by hoghunter84 View Post
    Don't just stroll into the SO. Get a lawyer so your rights are not stepped on. Unfortunately this will turn into a guilty until proven innocent case which could take some time to straighten out if you didn't keep records.
    I guess I'll get a lawyer so I can sue them for lawyer, court, and permit reinstatment fees. i wasn't going to stroll into the SO. The SO told me to go to the county clerk to clear this up. The county clerk is at the court house. They said if I have my paper work that the county clerk can rescind the warranty. Even if that happens I will still have to jump through hoops and pay $ to get the HCP reinstated.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorblade View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't hand a lawyer 2k to go down to the court house and sort out something I might be able to sort out myself in 30 minutes.
    If you have documentation that shows everything was cleared up just take it with you.
    Take somebody with you just in case!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanks. I'm not sure what to do. If i get a lawyer I gonna to play this out and sue them. I'm not paying out of pocket for all this. I may call the county clerk and see If I can fax them a copy of my paperwork (if I can find it).

I'm glad I've kept all of my court documents, it's been 5 years since my last bad encounter, but apparently some people suck really really bad at doing their job. Get pissed brah, get pissed. How does something like that just happen?

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine181 View Post
    I'm glad I've kept all of my court documents, it's been 5 years since my last bad encounter, but apparently some people suck really really bad at doing their job. Get pissed brah, get pissed. How does something like that just happen?
    I still have to work all night tonight and tomorrow then spend sunday with my girl before I can confront this issue. I'm going to search my file in the AM for the receipt. I can't get pissed just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by jbum View Post
    Troll? Please tell me where the letter came from. The state of Tennessee does not send out letters stating your permit has been suspended, voided or anything else. If it is from HLS who is that home land security?
    Unfortunatly you are wrong. I'm uploading the letter now. D**ch B8G

Quote Originally Posted by jbum View Post
    Troll? Please tell me where the letter came from. The state of Tennessee does not send out letters stating your permit has been suspended, voided or anything else. If it is from HLS who is that home land security?
    Freaking Know It Alls man... They have to notify you by letter due to the confidential nature of all crminal histories and dispositions, records may not be discussed by telephone. That's what it says at the bottom of the letter. You want me to post that too Know It all?

Administrator
    Do not post the actual letter here unless you redact your personal information. NOT a good idea!

I want jbum to admit he was wrong.

Scan your thread, you'll notice it's a non issue. Take a deep breath, gather your wits and plan what you're going to do Monday. You've got some good advice, take it into consideration and I hope it all works out.
    MeanAction and RichB70 like this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links