Honoring those who serve.

This is a discussion on Honoring those who serve. within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The follwing was posted by Ron on another thread and I thought it brought up a good discussion that we might have. " I have ...

Thread: Honoring those who serve.

The follwing was posted by Ron on another thread and I thought it brought up a good discussion that we might have.

"I have a great story about how we are treating our military today so differently then some of us treated our Vietnam veterans back then. Several months ago I was on a plane that was in the process of boarding when a contingent of troops back from Iraq boarded and started to walk to the coach section of the plane. As they were passing the first class section in front, one of the first class passengers got up and announced that he was giving up his first class seat and suggested that the rest of the first class passengers do the same. To the sound of applause throughout the plane every first class passenger gave up their seat so that the troops could ride in the comfort of First class.
    I tell you that it brought tears to my eyes and made me ever proud to be an American.
    "

We've all seen the commercial where everyone claps in the airport for the soldiers returning home, and such, so I would be interested in reading other examples and reactions to these types of situations.

I'll start with my own story:

My wife and daughter, (who was 4 at the time) were flying to visit family in IL. In the airport there some were some of the young soldiers, who my daughter prays for every night at bedtime. She saw them and said "Mommy, look, soldiers." My wife halfheartedly said "yes I see them", and turned and went back to whatever she was doing; fidlling with her bags. She turned back as second or two later as the soldiers were passing by and noticed two of the young men looking at my little girl and smiling. She looked down and my daughter raised her hand and saluted them and smiled. My wife said that the two who were looking tapped the others on the shoulder and said "hey, look at that little girl", then they all turned and looked at her and were absoultly beaming with smiles.

When my wife got home and told me this story, I came as close to crying as one can without actually doing so. No matter what she does in her life henceforth, at that moment, when I heard what this small child had done, I was the proudest dad who ever lived.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Bravo..............
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Assistant Administrator
    That is truly a lump in throat moment.

Pride - lots of it.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

God bless the sincerity of a child and may He hold all our military folks in the hollow of his hand.
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

tear jerker
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post
    ...I was the proudest dad who ever lived.
    Rightfully so! You and your wife have done a fine job! Your story brought a tear to my eye as well. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Tears and chills, now if all the rest of our children would do the same.

Lew
    That is awesome....

In '04 I went to see Laura Bush speak Lewiston Maine. Maine being the political backwater that it is, I was kinda intersted as to how it would be. Well I guess I don't donate enough money to get in with the "in crowd" so my son and I waited to see her go in to the building. As I walked around the security area my two year old son, Alex, walked up to a secret service agent, pulled the agents pant leg while pointing down the road to the protesters(a few hundred yards away) and said clearly "Pin Heads."
    The agent smiled and nodded.
    God love little children.
    There are 2 types of people, victims and the prepared. I choose to be prepared....

"Bless thee, O Lord, This handgrenade, that it may blow thine enemies to bits. Amen" ~Monty Python's Holy Grail

My Blazer Website

My new, Unofficial Cam and Company Fan site.

Quote Originally Posted by Lew View Post
    Alex, walked up to a secret service agent, pulled the agents pant leg while pointing down the road to the protesters(a few hundred yards away) and said clearly "Pin Heads."
    The agent smiled and nodded.
    God love little children.
    Way to go Alex.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Great story Alex! Thanks for sharing that one!
    Walk steathly - and carry a big Springfield.

Don't We Always...

learn from children?
    They usually get it right...with or without political correctness!

Well done!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sponsored Links