Worries About Building Firearms Collection-Justified or Paranoid

This is a discussion on Worries About Building Firearms Collection-Justified or Paranoid within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by 031131 Paranoid yes, justified yes. The anti guns groups are gaining an uncomfortable hold.. i.e CA. Well in CA they are, but ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Worries About Building Firearms Collection-Justified or Paranoid

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by 031131 View Post
    Paranoid yes, justified yes. The anti guns groups are gaining an uncomfortable hold.. i.e CA.
    Well in CA they are, but that's to be expected.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    "Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean that "they" aren't out to get you...."

Seriously, I do not think that you are paranoid. Personally, I feel that there is too much continental drift to the left to comfortably ignore. Where will it end? I don't know, but I'm not one who is comfortable with just burying my head in the sand and pretending it can't happen. There are too many examples in humanity's past of cultural stagnation & decay to let me feel real comfortable. At the same time, I don't see a conspiracy behind every bush either.
    khukuri likes this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

I don't think the Feds got the Cahoneys to try a gun grab in Texas.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by khukuri View Post
    I wasn't sure if this was the right section to post or ask this or maybe the General discussion but anyway, here's my question. If it should have been posted somewhere else just let me know. I thought this might fall under Homeland Security or Military but I'm usually in the concealed carry section.

I’m wondering if I am just paranoid or justified in my beliefs. Because of the state of the nation, the upcoming election, and probably watching too much Doomsday Preppers, I’m really considering adding to my gun collection. My thoughts have been that I should go for private purchases so that I’m not on record for owning firearms. I’ve read articles lately quoting actual politicians promoting total gun bans and rounding up and imprisonment of gun owners. When you read these things you think you’re reading about Hitler or Stalin. Even though I always try to support gun rights that’s one reason too that I haven’t joined the NRA. With computers today they could pull a database at anytime with your name and exactly every firearm you own and every time you posted in a forum such as this. As much as I buy and trade it would be hard to prove what I have and don’t have if I received a knock at the door. It’s much easier to buy from a business and with private purchases I also worry about buying stolen merchandise. I saw a good price on some AR variants the other day but I also worry about the type of firearm that I buy since we all know that ASSAULT rifles are the scourge of society. Does anyone think about all these issues or am I being overly paranoid and concerned. I used to think something like this would never happen in the US but lately my confidence level is not so high.
    Just because one is paranoid does not mean someone, or several someones; aren't out to get you. TRUST YOUR GUT!
    khukuri likes this.
    David
    Only two defining forces have ever died for you.....
    1. Jesus Christ.
    2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Marine, and Coast Guardsman.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom!

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

How does the same government that blew the intelligence on Iraq, blew the intelligence on September 11th, couldn't catch the Unibomber until his brother ratted him out, suddenly become this huge highly sophisticated machine capable of keeping track of all of us and our various weapons? Just a hypothetical question. I lost all my firearms when the yacht sank.
    pgrass101 and khukuri like this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Well in CA they are, but that's to be expected.
    Hopefully it just stays there. or better yet goes away completely.

VIP Member
    You might be a little paranoid. By the way, what is that black van with all to antenna's doing outside your house? OH, never mind, that helicopter circling overhead is keeping an eye on the van.
    pgrass101 and khukuri like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

"Paranoia will get you through times of no enemies better than enemies will get you through times of no paranoia."

A little paranoia is a good thing, keeps you on your toes.
    khukuri likes this.
    Disarming innocent people does not protect innocent people.

Don't ever think that the reason I'm peaceful is because I'm afraid to be violent!

I guess this was a good place to present my question. Lots of great replies and advice. Now I've just got to sit down and go through them and then go to the proper sub forum to get advice on whichh AR to get.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    How does the same government that blew the intelligence on Iraq, blew the intelligence on September 11th, couldn't catch the Unibomber until his brother ratted him out, suddenly become this huge highly sophisticated machine capable of keeping track of all of us and our various weapons? Just a hypothetical question. I lost all my firearms when the yacht sank.
    The examples you list are all either criminals, terrorist or people at war with us. None of these types are likely to obey the laws of our country. Gun owners on the other hand are for the most part good law abiding citizens who do make every attempt to obey the laws of the land. If the Government passes a law banning all black rifles or pink polka dot derringers I would not be at all surprised if a very high percentage of those that own them turned them in. The Government would not have to go after them.

Michael
    khukuri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    There is no designation of "evil black assault rifle" on the paperwork when you purchase an AR or AK. I think it would be difficult to profile just those sales transactions.

I prefer to buy new, just for the reason of not having to wonder what that firearm was used for in the past. Although there are many members here, who I would not hesitate to buy from.

I have a tremendous amount of faith in the incompetence of government agencies. I do question their ability to determine who owns what guns. If there was an actual gun-roundup, I think it would be more in the form of a physical search of your residence (God forbid).

There's a lot of unnecessary rumors and stories, slinging F.U.D. right now. Most are complete fabrications and are unfounded. However, only a fool would pretend that it could never happen.

I kind of see peoples point on some things but reading some things this morning I read this on the form filled out when purchasing a firearm. "The Form 4473 contains name, address, date of birth, government-issued photo ID, National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) background check transaction number, make/model/serial number of the firearm,....The dealer also records all information from the Form 4473 into their "bound-book". A dealer must keep this on file at least 20 years and is required to surrender the log to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) upon retirement from the firearms business. The ATF is allowed to inspect, as well as request a copy of the Form 4473 from the dealer during the course of a criminal investigation. In addition, the sale of two or more handguns to a person in a five day period must be reported to ATF on Form 3310." Even though the government may not be completely competent if wouldn't be hard to compile this information and even though the gun isn't designated as the "evil black assault rifle" it would be easy to classify firearms by model. I also read some comments here, not this post, about legalities and what agencies are allowed to access or pull. In a big change of government the whole point is that our rights and laws will go out the window. One thing that I've been thinking about though too is that taking firearms here might be a little more difficult that other countries as far as an all out confiscation because we probably sell more in a day than a lot of militaries have. Once word got around that this was happening people might get fired up. However, I think part of the plan is to work on eliminating personal firearms little by little until one day we wake up and it's too late.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    The examples you list are all either criminals, terrorist or people at war with us. None of these types are likely to obey the laws of our country. Gun owners on the other hand are for the most part good law abiding citizens who do make every attempt to obey the laws of the land. If the Government passes a law banning all black rifles or pink polka dot derringers I would not be at all surprised if a very high percentage of those that own them turned them in. The Government would not have to go after them.

Michael
    I agree with this. I think a lot of us do a lot of romanticising and we watch movies like Red Dawn and get all fired up but if faced with imprisonment, death, etc of yourself or especially your family, you comply.

i believe stocking up is a.smart idea. plus, its far better to have and not need than need and not have. you can always shoot it off later :). on the AR and 4473 note, I work at an ffl and what most people dont realize is we dont report what gun it is only whether its a handgun or long gun. so yes, they will know you own a gun but have no idea whether thats a 22 or an AR
    I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy...

M&P 45c, S&W 642, Browning BPS

Quote Originally Posted by mandpeter View Post
    i believe stocking up is a.smart idea. plus, its far better to have and not need than need and not have. you can always shoot it off later :). on the AR and 4473 note, I work at an ffl and what most people dont realize is we dont report what gun it is only whether its a handgun or long gun. so yes, they will know you own a gun but have no idea whether thats a 22 or an AR
    I didn't know that.

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    I would be more worried about a Romney victory as he is very anti-gun and when he had the chance to show his support for gun owners and the 2nd Amendment, he did not. Obama signed a pro-gun bill reluctantly but he did unlike Mitt "I hate Freedom and Guns" Romney. I don't understand the worries about Obama but I do worry more about a Romney presidency and what it means for our freedom. However I would not worry about the election and the state of the nation. Being prepared and ready is always guns.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links