Worries About Building Firearms Collection-Justified or Paranoid

This is a discussion on Worries About Building Firearms Collection-Justified or Paranoid within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I wasn't sure if this was the right section to post or ask this or maybe the General discussion but anyway, here's my question. If ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Worries About Building Firearms Collection-Justified or Paranoid

Worries About Building Firearms Collection-Justified or Paranoid

I wasn't sure if this was the right section to post or ask this or maybe the General discussion but anyway, here's my question. If it should have been posted somewhere else just let me know. I thought this might fall under Homeland Security or Military but I'm usually in the concealed carry section.

Iím wondering if I am just paranoid or justified in my beliefs. Because of the state of the nation, the upcoming election, and probably watching too much Doomsday Preppers, Iím really considering adding to my gun collection. My thoughts have been that I should go for private purchases so that Iím not on record for owning firearms. Iíve read articles lately quoting actual politicians promoting total gun bans and rounding up and imprisonment of gun owners. When you read these things you think youíre reading about Hitler or Stalin. Even though I always try to support gun rights thatís one reason too that I havenít joined the NRA. With computers today they could pull a database at anytime with your name and exactly every firearm you own and every time you posted in a forum such as this. As much as I buy and trade it would be hard to prove what I have and donít have if I received a knock at the door. Itís much easier to buy from a business and with private purchases I also worry about buying stolen merchandise. I saw a good price on some AR variants the other day but I also worry about the type of firearm that I buy since we all know that ASSAULT rifles are the scourge of society. Does anyone think about all these issues or am I being overly paranoid and concerned. I used to think something like this would never happen in the US but lately my confidence level is not so high.

2. Remove Ads

Your a little paranoid in my book. The points you mentioned about Hitler and Stalin are true, they did disarm there societies. Could it happen here in the U.S. Yes It could, we are not to big to fail....If they start a gun grab, we will all know. I wouldnt worry about them knowing or not. If it happens, I hope and pray for the best......
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Maybe.

It's hard to say what will happen. There are those that say don't re-elect O he's gonna take your guns and then there are those that say it'll never happen.
    Technically there should be no access to a form 4473 unless you turn criminal or something worse happens (who's to say firearm ownership won't become criminal).
    I have a hankering for an AK rifle because I feel like those and AR's are first on a lot of lists to take away, but I could be overly paranoid.
    It certainly wouldn't hurt to stock up on guns and ammo and person to person sales would certainly be more clandestine than having a 4473 run but you don't know for sure what you are buying.
    Like you said there can probably but you for being a member on this forum so go ahead and join the NRA, $25.00 dollars a year is pretty cheap to keep our 800 pound gorilla ready for the fight.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

VIP Member
    There is no designation of "evil black assault rifle" on the paperwork when you purchase an AR or AK. I think it would be difficult to profile just those sales transactions.

I prefer to buy new, just for the reason of not having to wonder what that firearm was used for in the past. Although there are many members here, who I would not hesitate to buy from.

I have a tremendous amount of faith in the incompetence of government agencies. I do question their ability to determine who owns what guns. If there was an actual gun-roundup, I think it would be more in the form of a physical search of your residence (God forbid).

There's a lot of unnecessary rumors and stories, slinging F.U.D. right now. Most are complete fabrications and are unfounded. However, only a fool would pretend that it could never happen.

Administrator
    I wouldn't worry too much about posting on an Internet forum because everything that you say on your cell phone or type into an E-Mail is already being collected and stored.
    So if you called your local gun shop to ask if the rifle you ordered is "in" yet then they already got ya...if they ever want you.
    As is every show that you watch on TV so if you're watching Doomsday Preppers then your household is already on some watch list out there.
    Do you use anything like Carbonite to "back up" everything on your computer?
    Who really owns those companies? Where is all of that information going before it ends up where you think it's going if you even have a clue as to where it is or where it should be?
    Password Protected? Give me a break! What an illusion.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Bit paranoid. Then again, if I did own guns, which I don't, they wouldn't be stored in my home (other than my daily carry which is a rubber duck), in the event the police searched my home and wanted to use my collection of waterfowl against me.
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

Senior Moderator
    Why would the government worry about my little gun collection when the can take out my house at will with a drone strike?
    Spirit51 likes this.
    ďYou can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.Ē

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    My signature line says it all. If the shoe fits . . .
    FLArmadillo likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Don't know if it's justifiable,but it's the excuse I used on my SO to be able to buy a Colt AR yesterday.I look to buy from individuals but it seems no one is saleing lately.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Why would the government worry about my little gun collection when the can take out my house at will with a drone strike?
    Because your house will be awarded to the whistle-blowers who turned you in as payment for their service to the Fatherland.

Michael

VIP Member
    I am always looking to build my collection. If there is a good deal I would purchase. I am not a panic purchaser. I am a planer. Ben Franklin said "NO PLAN IS A PLAN TO FAIL".

Quote Originally Posted by khukuri View Post
    I wasn't sure if this was the right section to post or ask this or maybe the General discussion but anyway, here's my question. If it should have been posted somewhere else just let me know. I thought this might fall under Homeland Security or Military but I'm usually in the concealed carry section.

I’m wondering if I am just paranoid or justified in my beliefs. Because of the state of the nation, the upcoming election, and probably watching too much Doomsday Preppers, I’m really considering adding to my gun collection. My thoughts have been that I should go for private purchases so that I’m not on record for owning firearms. I’ve read articles lately quoting actual politicians promoting total gun bans and rounding up and imprisonment of gun owners. When you read these things you think you’re reading about Hitler or Stalin. Even though I always try to support gun rights that’s one reason too that I haven’t joined the NRA. With computers today they could pull a database at anytime with your name and exactly every firearm you own and every time you posted in a forum such as this. As much as I buy and trade it would be hard to prove what I have and don’t have if I received a knock at the door. It’s much easier to buy from a business and with private purchases I also worry about buying stolen merchandise. I saw a good price on some AR variants the other day but I also worry about the type of firearm that I buy since we all know that ASSAULT rifles are the scourge of society. Does anyone think about all these issues or am I being overly paranoid and concerned. I used to think something like this would never happen in the US but lately my confidence level is not so high.
    Paranoid yes, justified yes. The anti guns groups are gaining an uncomfortable hold.. i.e CA.

Own weapons. no we just come here to read about those that do.
    Stock up while you it won't be an issue after next year

Well if you want to have guns for defensive purposes you probably want to avoid the typical firearm collector mentality (buy dozens of different "cool" guns with non interchangeable parts or calibers). Collecting firearms is fine but to me they are tools with a purpose.

I would settle on your choice of rifle and handgun and make sure you have 2-3 identical copies of each in case one breaks or otherwise becomes unavailable. Shotguns are viable for hunting or if cost is the primary factor. Make sure to have ancillary equipment such as holsters, magazines and magazine carriers (with spares). Learn what parts wear out (springs etc) or most often break on your guns (i.e. AR15 bolts) and stock some spares. You might not be able to get parts later.

Make sure to stock up a decent amount of duty ammo (couple thousand rounds at the very least). Having a large stash of practice ammo can be a money saver but realize that if the government goes bananas you will not be able to just go to the range and practice like you can today so having a large amount of target rounds is nice but unnecessary.

Beyond that get some training and practice regularly. It is not hard to teach yourself to shoot well but standing on a range poking holes in paper is not the same thing as fighting armed people that want to kill you. So get some relevant and realistic training that will teach you to fight with your weapons (you have to be selective here as most places just teach you to punch better holes in paper). Make sure to train with what you expect to fight with (i.e. don't have separate carry holster and training holster unless they are identical model).

For myself I just buy the guns using my CHL so I still have to fill out a form but at least the government doesn't get the phone call with my SSN.

I agree with the person who posted to not buy a ton of similiar SD guns that are not compatible with each other. After that it is up to you and your budget how many guns you want. It is up to your paranoia where and how you purchase them.

Wife and I have 7 "practical guns" (2 EDC's, 2 BUGs', 1 AR, 1 Revolver, 1 Shotgun). These are for SD and HD. Then we have fun guns. Hunter MarkIII's, Beretta, Neos, Rem 700, Savage 10, shotguns for trap and skeet, etcs. Then we shooting collectibles. M57 Tokarev, Nagant pistol, M1, AK, Mosin-Nagant, and a few others. Then we have collectibles (97 at last count).

So, I do not think we are paranoid. Maybe crazy, but not paranoid
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, ďWhom shall I send? And who will go for us?Ē
    And I said, ďHere am I. Send me!Ē

Isaiah 6:8

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links