Seattle police shooting ignites debate

This is a discussion on Seattle police shooting ignites debate within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So, the Seattle police shot a 77-year-old guy suffering from dementia (they did not know about his ailment). He comes to the door of his ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Seattle police shooting ignites debate

Seattle police shooting ignites debate

So, the Seattle police shot a 77-year-old guy suffering from dementia (they did not know about his ailment).

He comes to the door of his house holding a gun. He does not respond to repeated commands to drop the gun. Instead, he raises the muzzle toward the police. They fire.

Now the aftermath quarterbacking erupts.

Man shot by Seattle police had dementia, family says | Local News | The Seattle Times

Seattle cops shoot man to death in S. Seattle - seattlepi.com

I did a column on this here, simply asking people What would YOU have done?:

Seattle shooting: What would you have done? - Seattle gun rights | Examiner.com

We'll see how many of the keyboard commandos have the stones to post a response below the column. Don't be shy about posting your observations here, either.

2. Remove Ads

NMB
    If someone points a gun at me, 77, 100, 12, I dont care, its a life or death situation at that point. I couldn't care less what illness or motives they may have.

The people claiming they should have used a taser are morons.
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

Cops don't know about his dementia, just that there's a 77 year old man pointing a gun at them. At that point, all bets are off. Good shoot IMO.
    ccw9mm and BurgerBoy like this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

From the facts available I would say this was a good shoot. When a man is told to drop his handgun ignores the request and instead raises it and aims it at you time for discussion is over.
    "I feel there could have been other methods. They could have Tased him. He was an older man, and he was a sick man. It's just wrong how they went in and did that to him," Williams said.
    First the officers do not know that he is sick. Secondly I am no spring chicken any more and I am physically disabled but, with a handgun in my hands I become the equal to most younger more physically able men.

Michael
    ccw9mm and BurgerBoy like this.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Good shoot, definitely. Without prior knowledge about the man, the cops did exactly what they should have done. If someone points a gun at you, they are an immediate threat to your life and must be stopped.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Almost sounds like suicide by cop to me... he set the scene and acted it out.

The only question I have is, during a 911 call is there time or the ability to find about about the caller prior to arrival? Is it ever protocol to check criminal/medical background?

These are just questions I have... if anyone knows the answer, thank you.

VIP Member
    The officers who fired will live with that moment for the rest of their lives, but at least they will live. For that I am grateful. Every time I hear about a police shooting in the Seattle area, or anywhere for that matter, my thoughts go straight to a close friend, Deputy Sheriff Richard Anthony Herzog, King County Sheriff's Office, Washington who could have fired when his moment came, but didn't.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Senior Moderator
    It seems that the police did what they had to do, they had no way of knowing the mental state of the gentleman. He could have been having a violent episode and shot his neighbors.

As soon as he pointed the gun at someone he became a threat and had to be taken care of, it is unfortante that he was killed but I do not fault the polce for thier actions
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Not a Good shoot, but an understandable one.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Almost sounds like suicide by cop to me... he set the scene and acted it out.
    My thought as well.

Can't fault the cops on this one.

THis is in no way the fault of the police, if anything its the family's fault for not taking away all of his guns.
    Dandyone and BurgerBoy like this.
    Molon Labe

It is always a lot easier to judge it later. The problem is the LEO had seconds. A gun is pointed at you what do you do?

The shooting seems to be justified based on what we do know.

Sent via Mental Power

"I feel there could have been other methods. They could have Tased him. He was an older man, and he was a sick man. It's just wrong how they went in and did that to him," Williams said." (Monday morning quarterback)

Sad all the way around, but if someone is pointing a gun at me, I am defending myself. Sickness or not. Who knows, the dementia may have made him pull the trigger because he did not know any better. Cannot blame the LEOs for this.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I blame the family for not taking the guns away. They probably didn't consider the car keys either. Sometimes you have to protect people from themselves.
    Dandyone likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Tragic and preventable. I blame the family, not the police, on several counts. First they knew he suffered from dementia and Alzheimer Disease, yet they left him with guns in his possession. Secondly, with the 2 problems he suffered from, he should not have been living on his own. The police had no way of knowing about the problems. They are confronted by an armed man who refused to follow directions, and then pointed the gun at them. They did what they had to do. IMO.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links