Defensive Carry banner

F14's vs. 9mm's

2K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  sdprof 
#1 ·
True funny story, but also somewhat sad in hindsight how the military doesn't routinely trust its members with firearms.

Three of us who graduated college together in '87 ended up going into the military to fly airplanes, two of us in the Air Force, one in the Navy. The one who went in the Navy ended up flying F-14's (the coolest assignment out of the three). He ended up patrolling the Iraq no-fly zone during Desert Shield. I talked with him after his cruise. Conversation below.

Him: We were packing heat.
Me: Well, I imagine you had a full load-out of guns and missiles.
Him: No, I mean they issued us a 9mm.
Me: Let me get this straight. You were flying a fully armed F-14 off a carrier in the Gulf, patrolling the Iraqi no-fly zone, and you're most excited about the fact that you got to carry a pistol?
Him: Well ... it was cool!

BTW - He was a huge Miami Vice fan and thought he was Sonny Crockett, so getting to carry a pistol in a shoulder holster was probably "it" for him.

#2 ·
Well.....yeah! Except they issued me a .45 acp to carry in my LPA.

#7 ·
I carried an M16A1 and 4" model 15 38 spl with 6 rounds lead round nose,aircrews carried 3 rounds of non lethal bean bag in first 3 chambers and 3 rounds of JHP,their reasoning IIRC was the beanbag wouldn't penetrate the airframe.
IMHO that reasoning is flawed,if your going up against an armed individual you don't want to be hitting him with non lethal when he is shooting the real deal back.BP Agent Brian Terry learned this the hard way RIP

#13 ·
As a maintenance guy, the one combat mission I got the honor of flying on allowed me to carry a S&W .38 revolver with all of six rounds. I guess they figured if I couldn't do myself in with six rounds, I deserved to get caught!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.