My company has started a coffee drive for troops deployed in Afghanistan

This is a discussion on My company has started a coffee drive for troops deployed in Afghanistan within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My nephew has deployed to Afghanistan. I've just started receiving e-mails from him and when I asked what him and the other guys over there ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: My company has started a coffee drive for troops deployed in Afghanistan

My company has started a coffee drive for troops deployed in Afghanistan

My nephew has deployed to Afghanistan. I've just started receiving e-mails from him and when I asked what him and the other guys over there needed right now he said "Coffee". I would have guessed socks, junk food or magazines, but if that's what they need then that's what I'm sending.
    I'm employed in the defense/aerospace industry and our General Manager is an ex-Marine so he offered to cover the cost of shipping all the coffee I could collect/buy. I'm in contact with Don Francisco's coffee (Gavina), and they are considering a large donation as well (should be finalized next week). I created a web page for donations if anyone is inclined to help make a soldiers day.
    I've never done the website thing before, so if you have any suggestions or ideas please feel free to post them!

http://www.watchingthewall.com/
    Link to donation site added back in. (above) Things check out just fine. Go for it folks.
    To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will.
    Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Good on you!

I'm forwarding this info to my company Talking heads(owners)
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I'm actually starting to worry a little about the shipping. It would be kind of disheartening to have to spend 5k to ship a thousand dollars of coffee! I need to work on that part.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
    To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will.
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorblade View Post
    I'm actually starting to worry a little about the shipping. It would be kind of disheartening to have to spend 5k to ship a thousand dollars of coffee! I need to work on that part.

Go talk to your local international shipping terminals (FedEx, UPS etc) When I was in Iraq I am sure they brought in shipments of donated goodies at a reduced rate.

Administrator
    I am all for this. Sounds like a great idea.

Why don't you see if you can get everything all locked up and finalized with the shipping costs etc. and then PM me and I'll add the donation link back in and we'll see if we can get this rolling?

Before you are permitted to ask for member donations on DefensiveCarry I will need to know that you have everything all set up and some way to verify that member donation money will all be going to its intended purpose.

I am not doubting you or your great cause but, in order to be listed on the forum I need to be able to check it out.
    oneshot likes this.

I am currently deployed to Afghanistan also and just stuff as much as you can in the flat rate boxes at USPS.

Administrator
    Why don't you contact STARBUCKS and see if they would be willing to supply you with large quantities of bulk loose packets of Starbucks VIA?

Very good easily portable coffee in individual single serve packets that is micro-ground so that it actually brews in boiling water.

No coffee filters or coffee pots needed.

It does not taste like "instant" jar coffee. It's good coffee.

I really like their VIA Columbia & Italian Roast.

You could really cut any shipping costs way down and thousands of individual packets could go in one box.

Just something that you might want to consider. I have a pile of them in my Bug Out Bag.

And you could stuff at least a thousand loose packets into one U.S.P.S. FLAT RATE BOX.

Rock and Glock likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I am all for this. Sounds like a great idea.

Why don't you see if you can get everything all locked up and finalized with the shipping costs etc. and then PM me and I'll add the donation link back in and we'll see if we can get this rolling?

Before you are permitted to ask for member donations on DefensiveCarry I will need to know that you have everything all set up and some way to verify that member donation money will all be going to its intended purpose.

I am not doubting you or your great cause but, in order to be listed on the forum I need to be able to check it out.
    Not sure what proof I can give you. The name of my employer, and my name and phone number is shown on the website. I've worked at the same place for 11 years and my company is listed on the stock exchange (NASDAQ).
    Let me know what you need to see.
    Ronald Reagan

Try Cup of Joe for a Joe (or Josey) from Green Beans Coffee. Operate coffee shops at bases in war zone and email $2.00 a cup gift certificates for their shops. Can even send a bag to a forward base via a chaplain. No shipping fee involved. The Joe (or Josey) can email you back and might even request to be a "pen pal". I've done up to $16 a month for several months with no problem.
    If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd taken better care of myself when I was younger

My nephew has deployed to Afghanistan. I've just started receiving e-mails from him and when I asked what him and the other guys over there needed right now he said "Coffee". I would have guessed socks, junk food or magazines, but if that's what they need then that's what I'm sending.
    I'm employed in the defense/aerospace industry and our General Manager is an ex-Marineso he offered to cover the cost of shipping all the coffee I could collect/buy. I'm in contact with Don Francisco's coffee (Gavina), and they are considering a large donation as well (should be finalized next week). I created a web page for donations if anyone is inclined to help make a soldiers day.
    I've never done the website thing before, so if you have any suggestions or ideas please feel free to post them!

Donation Link Deleted - Please see my Post #5 Below.
    QKShooter
    Great idea for the troops. Just no such thing as ex-Marine. ;)
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Administrator
    Your Post #3 is just sort of indicating to me that you're not quite set up to get this going yet.

I just don't want members making donations and then having a situation where you discover that you're unable to ship or see this project through to fruition.

I love our troops & I love this idea but, our DC forum members are sort of my troops.

I don't want to be a party pooper but, normally we don't allow this sort of thing on DC at all unless payments are going directly to an established charity or worthwhile organization like Wounded Warriors...etc.

So...for now I'll leave this open and running and we'll see if our members can chime in and move this along to some sort of verifiable happy conclusion.

Understood..........
    Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    I have used the US Post Office a lot for sending packages to soldiers. Their flat rate boxes are cheap and are handled quickly. And the boxes are FREE! When my sons were over seas Id always send a few extra magazines in his care packages to share with friends. Flat rate boxes made me not care so much how much things weighed! DR

I have a local Coffee Shop, I can donate a couple pounds of coffee beans, and send them to you, or direct.

Administrator
    Please let me be clear on the fact that I personally do not believe that this endeavor is in any way a scam or an attempt to take member donations for personal gain.

I just need to be able to satisfy our established basic forum requirements for allowing members to solicit donation money from other forum members.

It seems as though the U.S.P.S. Flat Rate boxes would be the way to go with regard to the shipping.

"I'm in contact with Don Francisco's coffee (Gavina), and they are considering a large donation as well (should be finalized next week)."

I should be able to place a quick call to Don Francisco's coffee and verify that once the OP receives a reply from them.

Members please feel free to chime in on any possible ways or ideas to get the ball rolling on this.

Members can "chip in" on shipping costs also (as well as for the actual coffee) if say the OP would be willing to provide scans of post office receipts with a destination location of Afghanistan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links