Bloomberg Wouldn't Let Guard Into Brooklyn Over Their Possession of Guns

This is a discussion on Bloomberg Wouldn't Let Guard Into Brooklyn Over Their Possession of Guns within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Thursday Report: Bloomberg Wouldn't Let Guard Into Brooklyn Over Their Possession of Guns | NewsBusters.org Mayor Bloomberg has snubbed Borough President Markowitz’s impassioned plea to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Bloomberg Wouldn't Let Guard Into Brooklyn Over Their Possession of Guns

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Bloomberg Wouldn't Let Guard Into Brooklyn Over Their Possession of Guns

Thursday Report: Bloomberg Wouldn't Let Guard Into Brooklyn Over Their Possession of Guns | NewsBusters.org

Mayor Bloomberg has snubbed Borough President Markowitz’s impassioned plea to bring the National Guard to Hurricane Sandy-scarred Brooklyn — arguing that approving the Beep’s request would be a waste of federal manpower and turn the borough into a police state.

“We don’t need it,” Mayor Bloomberg said on Wednesday during a press update on the city’s ongoing Hurricane Sandy cleanup. “The NYPD is the only people we want on the street with guns.”
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

He's worried the non-12-pound trigger pull on the Guard's weapons is too light.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Title is misleading...that was not the only reason. And the author of the article also agree that it is possible that more troops are not needed.
    Qoute by author:
    Based on resource deployment priorities, the Mayor's refusal could be justified.
    Quote by Mayor:
    arguing that approving the Beep’s request would be a waste of federal manpower and turn the borough into a police state
    It is obvious he does not want the guns...but all of the facts please.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Isn't this the same schmuck who won't allow his LEO to train on their firearms after the academy? Unless they go out of the city and buy their own ammo.
    Kinda the reason all those innocents got shot?

Also, some of the gaurdsmen would be from outside NYC...armed with Big Gulps...and send the locals spiraling into anarchy.
    Brad426, suntzu, msgt/ret and 8 others like this.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    So Sorry NYC BUT you got what you voted for. As Bugs would say"What a Maroon".
    mg27, Sejune, 4my sons and 3 others like this.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    "expletive deleted"
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Well, there is some looting going on, and the resources are stretched thin. So a request for help was made. Then, Bloomberg, turns down the help that was requested.

What a leader. The residents of NYC are getting the rewards of their voting. He should have been the one requesting assistance...
    pinklady and BenGoodLuck like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SFury View Post
    Well, there is some looting going on, and the resources are stretched thin. So a request for help was made. Then, Bloomberg, turns down the help that was requested.

What a leader. The residents of NYC are getting the rewards of their voting. He should have been the one requesting assistance...
    Crime in NYC is down overall by 1/3 as measured from Monday thru Friday.
    While some sections of Brooklyn near Kennedy Airport, e.g. Far Rockaway, got a strong hit, that doesn't mean
    the NYC police can't deal with the situation.

It is entirely up to the Governor and the Mayor to determine how, if at all, The Guard will be deployed,
    and with what level of arms---if any.

Remember when immediately after 9/11 Guardsmen were ordered to guard each airline/airport
    security entrance? They were unarmed and/or carrying unloaded rifles. It was all show.
    Also, unarmed Guardsmen have been deployed at our borders at various times.

Whatever one might think about such decisions, unarmed use is not an uncommon practice.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Bloomberg doesn't want armed anything in New York which isn't under his direct control. No surprises there.
    pinklady, ppkheat and Secret Spuk like this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Un armed troops is what they don't need. Looters will not stop when you say stop that, but will stop for armed men. Police carry a gun to protect themselves, the troops should be able to protect themselves. I don't think the mayor and governor need body guards with guns either.

Then libs start screaming bloody murder about posse comitatus.

Quote Originally Posted by pscipio03 View Post
    Then libs start screaming bloody murder about posse comitatus.
    Doesn't apply to the National Guard
    Hopyard and Hoganbeg like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Whatever one might think about such decisions, unarmed use is not an uncommon practice.
    I agree with you, but I think it's more that Bloomberg made such a point of saying it ...... and saying he didn't want anyone there with "guns" other than the NYPD. The NYPD ..... aren't known for their shooting abilities. And, if several people are asking for the assistance because they are under-manned, and this is Bloombergs only reason for it..... then it's BULL.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    This may be the litmus test for how much Bloomberg the citizens of Gotham are willing to accept.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links