Does this sound legitimate?

This is a discussion on Does this sound legitimate? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Today a guy came to my door with "credentials" that stated he was from the "United States Federal Investigative Service." Frankly, I told him I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does this sound legitimate?

VIP Member

Does this sound legitimate?

Today a guy came to my door with "credentials" that stated he was from the "United States Federal Investigative Service."

Frankly, I told him I thought he was a phony and chased him off.

However, I was wondering if anyone out there knows if there actually is a US Government organization with that name.

I figure if anyone wants to talk to me they need to arrive in or with a city officer in uniform.

Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

well i've never heard of it but who knows

If he split that easy sounds like a fake

I ran a google test on it and nothing came up. Sounds like you had a close call. Good thing you were aware, some people would have probably let them in their house.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

JD
    Administrator
    Wow, you'd think a crook would at least get his acronyms right...

Assistant Administrator
    Severe smell of rotten fish methinks.

Did you call in with a description? Maybe he was trying local scamming over a broad area.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

You were lucky! You should notify local LE and protect your neighbors.
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Administrator

Google Search "Federal Investigative Service"

Actually I wanted to check this out because I remembered that the U.S. Army (I think) has/had ??? a Federal Investigative Service.

I suspect that your experience was bogus because if the guy that knocked on your door was really from any Fed Investigative Service...he Would NOT have "Hit The Road" just because you told him to.
    Your door probably would have come crashing in a minute later.

Friday, July 01, 2005
    You Never Know Who Lives in Your Neighborhood

The doorbell rang as I was working at my computer. Norm was in the back of the house and didn't hear the doorbell so I answered the door myself. I pushed the button on my door opener and the door opened. There was a very tall man standing at my front door. My first thought was he was a salesman but I was wrong.

He said, "Hello ma'am, how are you today?" Before I could answer he continued, "My name is Thomas Smith* and I'm with the Federal Investigative Service."

I must've looked a little stunned because then he said, "Here is my badge and identification." And he showed me what looked like a very official gold shield and photographic ID card that read "Federal Investigative Service."

I think I said, "hello," and then, "oh?"

The badge and identity card looked real so my next thought was I must have said something on my blog about Senator McCain that got me in trouble. Wrong again. Before I could say anything he preceded.

"I'm doing a background check on one of your neighbors -- William Avery*."

"Oh, I never heard of him," I responded.

"He rented a room from your neighbor across the street last year."

"Yes, I remember seeing that another man lived there besides Bill*, the owner, and is girlfriend Jennifer*, but I didn't know his name and I never spoke to him."

"Mr. Avery is a Native American man, about 5'10" tall, with dark short hair and a muscular build."

"Oh yes," I replied, "that describes the man that I saw there, but I have not seen him around here for several months. In fact I think there is a new roommate there now."

By this time Norm comes to the door and I fill him in on the conversation. He also says to the investigator that he did not know that man.

"What's he done?" Norm and I say together.

"He's in the military and he's being considered for a special position for which we are required to do a background check. I'm in the neighborhood because I have to check on all his places of residence."

"Sorry we can't help you," I say.

Norm decides that it's time for one of his off-the-wall remarks -- "I'm in the service myself, and I've just returned from Cuba."

The man laughs and then he says, "I've just returned from Cuba myself. Thank you for your time. I think I'll go and talk to one of your other neighbors."

We say goodbye and then we shut the door. I say to Norm, "I think he really did just come from Cuba -- he is a federal investigator. I wonder if he's been to club Gitmo?"

It's kind of exciting knowing that somebody who used to live across the street from me is now in the military and being considered for a "special position." A position that requires a background check must be something important and perhaps requires a special security clearance. I pray that God will be with that man and protect him from evil as he serves our nation.

*All names were changed to secure their identities in case they are serving as undercover agents. Unlike news reporters I take such things seriously.

DC Founder
    Yup, they are, in fact, the guys that carry out security clearance investigations....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

VIP Member
    Yep, they do it the FBI does it and another group DIS. Depends on what branch and what clearance you are getting. I know a couple folks who do this for a living. They get a file and go around to investigate the person. They are typically assigned regionally for the lower level clearances.

They have no police powers per se, and will leave when asked. They have a "credential" that is really just so you know who they are. If in doubt ask for a business card and tell them you will call them at a more convenient time. That way you can check it out and be more comfortable. They prefer to interview in person, but will do them over the phone as well.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Yes sir,
    I had one show up to investigate my brother.
    His clearance status in the army had been raised,
    and had to go through the process again.

The guy looked like the cigarette man on X-Files.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Today a guy came to my door with "credentials" that stated he was from the "United States Federal Investigative Service."
    That someone approaches me with badge, "credentials" and a story doesn't make it true. Sad, but we've come to that state of things. The non-emergency line of the police dept. or the sheriff's dept. is a wondrous thing, for helping to confirm things like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Very interesting. I thought the FBI was the only one who did that. Now I know better.

Pinkerton used to call and visit people to check on us when I used to work in Nuclear Plants. People would sometimes call me to find out if I was in some kind of trouble or something.

I'm with you CCW9mm, I still wouldn't let anyone in my house or give them information, unless they are local or state LEO, period. Too bad, but you can't trust anyone these days.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

The guy was probably going into a SigInt field of some kind. Which means his clearance would go through the NSA and not the FBI. Which is why it's a different agency.

VIP Member

Lucky for both of us

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    They have no police powers per se, and will leave when asked. They have a "credential" that is really just so you know who they are. If in doubt ask for a business card and tell them you will call them at a more convenient time. That way you can check it out and be more comfortable. They prefer to interview in person, but will do them over the phone as well.
    Lucky for both of us that they don't have police powers and that he did indeed leave quickly when ordered to do so. Because, I didn't think he was for real and had my right hand on you know what in the small of my back.

With so very many different Federal Departments and Agencies with all types of investigative powers, it is now impossible for the ordinary citizen to recognize if the credentials are for real or not.

I went to the door because I could tell from my wife's voice that she was upset when she answered the door. I guess he waved his credentials in her face and startled her. All I heard was Federal Investigative Services, and I figured the guy was a phony---using a play on words to pretend to be FBI.

I got a bit more aggressive than I should have, but I wasn't going to give this guy a chance to push his way into the house.

Now, I feel sorry I was rude.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links