Defensive Carry banner

Does this sound legitimate?

3K views 29 replies 24 participants last post by  ExSoldier 
#1 ·
Today a guy came to my door with "credentials" that stated he was from the "United States Federal Investigative Service."

Frankly, I told him I thought he was a phony and chased him off.

However, I was wondering if anyone out there knows if there actually is a US Government organization with that name.

I figure if anyone wants to talk to me they need to arrive in or with a city officer in uniform.

Thanks.

#3 ·
I ran a google test on it and nothing came up. Sounds like you had a close call. Good thing you were aware, some people would have probably let them in their house.

#7 ·
Google Search "Federal Investigative Service"

Actually I wanted to check this out because I remembered that the U.S. Army (I think) has/had ??? a Federal Investigative Service.

I suspect that your experience was bogus because if the guy that knocked on your door was really from any Fed Investigative Service...he Would NOT have "Hit The Road" just because you told him to.
Your door probably would have come crashing in a minute later.

Friday, July 01, 2005
You Never Know Who Lives in Your Neighborhood

The doorbell rang as I was working at my computer. Norm was in the back of the house and didn't hear the doorbell so I answered the door myself. I pushed the button on my door opener and the door opened. There was a very tall man standing at my front door. My first thought was he was a salesman but I was wrong.

He said, "Hello ma'am, how are you today?" Before I could answer he continued, "My name is Thomas Smith* and I'm with the Federal Investigative Service."

I must've looked a little stunned because then he said, "Here is my badge and identification." And he showed me what looked like a very official gold shield and photographic ID card that read "Federal Investigative Service."

I think I said, "hello," and then, "oh?"

The badge and identity card looked real so my next thought was I must have said something on my blog about Senator McCain that got me in trouble. Wrong again. Before I could say anything he preceded.

"I'm doing a background check on one of your neighbors -- William Avery*."

"Oh, I never heard of him," I responded.

"He rented a room from your neighbor across the street last year."

"Yes, I remember seeing that another man lived there besides Bill*, the owner, and is girlfriend Jennifer*, but I didn't know his name and I never spoke to him."

"Mr. Avery is a Native American man, about 5'10" tall, with dark short hair and a muscular build."

"Oh yes," I replied, "that describes the man that I saw there, but I have not seen him around here for several months. In fact I think there is a new roommate there now."

By this time Norm comes to the door and I fill him in on the conversation. He also says to the investigator that he did not know that man.

"What's he done?" Norm and I say together.

"He's in the military and he's being considered for a special position for which we are required to do a background check. I'm in the neighborhood because I have to check on all his places of residence."

"Sorry we can't help you," I say.

Norm decides that it's time for one of his off-the-wall remarks -- "I'm in the service myself, and I've just returned from Cuba."

The man laughs and then he says, "I've just returned from Cuba myself. Thank you for your time. I think I'll go and talk to one of your other neighbors."

We say goodbye and then we shut the door. I say to Norm, "I think he really did just come from Cuba -- he is a federal investigator. I wonder if he's been to club Gitmo?"

It's kind of exciting knowing that somebody who used to live across the street from me is now in the military and being considered for a "special position." A position that requires a background check must be something important and perhaps requires a special security clearance. I pray that God will be with that man and protect him from evil as he serves our nation.

*All names were changed to secure their identities in case they are serving as undercover agents. Unlike news reporters I take such things seriously.

#10 ·
Yep, they do it the FBI does it and another group DIS. Depends on what branch and what clearance you are getting. I know a couple folks who do this for a living. They get a file and go around to investigate the person. They are typically assigned regionally for the lower level clearances.

They have no police powers per se, and will leave when asked. They have a "credential" that is really just so you know who they are. If in doubt ask for a business card and tell them you will call them at a more convenient time. That way you can check it out and be more comfortable. They prefer to interview in person, but will do them over the phone as well.

#15 ·
Lucky for both of us

They have no police powers per se, and will leave when asked. They have a "credential" that is really just so you know who they are. If in doubt ask for a business card and tell them you will call them at a more convenient time. That way you can check it out and be more comfortable. They prefer to interview in person, but will do them over the phone as well.
Lucky for both of us that they don't have police powers and that he did indeed leave quickly when ordered to do so. Because, I didn't think he was for real and had my right hand on you know what in the small of my back.

With so very many different Federal Departments and Agencies with all types of investigative powers, it is now impossible for the ordinary citizen to recognize if the credentials are for real or not.

I went to the door because I could tell from my wife's voice that she was upset when she answered the door. I guess he waved his credentials in her face and startled her. All I heard was Federal Investigative Services, and I figured the guy was a phony---using a play on words to pretend to be FBI.

I got a bit more aggressive than I should have, but I wasn't going to give this guy a chance to push his way into the house.

Now, I feel sorry I was rude.

#11 ·
Yes sir,
I had one show up to investigate my brother.
His clearance status in the army had been raised,
and had to go through the process again.

The guy looked like the cigarette man on X-Files.

#12 ·
Today a guy came to my door with "credentials" that stated he was from the "United States Federal Investigative Service."
That someone approaches me with badge, "credentials" and a story doesn't make it true. Sad, but we've come to that state of things. The non-emergency line of the police dept. or the sheriff's dept. is a wondrous thing, for helping to confirm things like this.

#16 ·
Yes, there is a thing called "Federal Investigation Service". Mostly they are contracted investigators, not even technically government officials. Think of it as kind of like a private investigator hired by the government. In fact, I have never seen one with a "badge" of any kind, only ID in one of those clear wallet-type things. Usually it is the FBI's job to do background investigations as they were directed to by the Office of Personnel Management (OPM -- the fed's version of Personnel). Now with the terrorist stuff and all the new government hires, doing a full background check was putting a strain on the FBI, so the OPM started contracting it out. Nowadays I only see FBI agents when someone gets a "secret" or higher clearance.

We get the FIS investigators every once and awhile at my department looking for information on newer Border Patrol or Customs agents (they typically have 3 years to get the full background checks done). Most of them are nice and polite, some have that "I am powerful now" attitude and kind of "slam" their "credentials" at my bulletproof window. I tell them to slide the "credentials" through my passthrough and have a seat... I may talk to them again in an hour. (I do that with FBI agents and US Marshals, too whenever someone "slams" their "credentials" including badges on my window, or flashes it to me without enough time for me to read it.)

But for FIS investigators, I can't give them any information because they're not law enforcement and I am. Therefore, I can't give them law enforcement information that is priviledged (by law) for law enforcement only. If they are FBI or US Marshals I'll call their local office and verify their identity, then I'll give them whatever they need (within reason). But an FIS investigator -- to me, anyway -- is no different than a private person coming in asking for information. They can go to our Records section and plead with them for it, not me.

And for ccw9mm, I can tell you that I (as one of the people that would answer one of those non-emergency lines) wouldn't and can't verify their identity for you or anyone else. As with many departments we can't verify the identity of anyone outside of our department because we don't have the information to contact them or just don't have it period. Even if it were an FBI agent and you call me (sheriff's dept) I can't and won't verify them because I don't work for the FBI and they don't work for me. I would, however, give you the number for the FBI so you can call them.

It would be nice if I could tell you some of the tricks on how we can "identify" a LEO or someone that can receive LE information, but that's one of those "LE-only" things my department wouldn't ever let me give out.

Cheers.

#13 ·
Very interesting. I thought the FBI was the only one who did that. Now I know better.:hand10:

Pinkerton used to call and visit people to check on us when I used to work in Nuclear Plants. People would sometimes call me to find out if I was in some kind of trouble or something.:haha:

I'm with you CCW9mm, I still wouldn't let anyone in my house or give them information, unless they are local or state LEO, period. Too bad, but you can't trust anyone these days.

#14 ·
The guy was probably going into a SigInt field of some kind. Which means his clearance would go through the NSA and not the FBI. Which is why it's a different agency.

#17 ·
Hopyard, no need to feel bad that you may have been rude. You didn't buy the guy's story and you did what you felt you had to do. That's fine and everyone went home safe at the end of the day. They've gotten worse I can assure you.

soundwave is exactly right. The only thing calling a local LE Agency can do is verify thier guys. You would have to verify FBI through their agency and so on.

Like I mentioned before. If approached by someone like this ask for a business card. Tell them now isn't a good time but you will give them a call later. Odds are the guy who showed up at Hopyard's door did so because someone living on the street or in the area (don't know how rural you are) is getting a clearance. He was trying to develop "secondary references" by talking with any neighbors who may know of or about the person being investigated. The investigations where I have been a primary reference they always call and schedule an appointment with me.

#20 ·
someone you know is going thru a background investigation for a federal job of some type and they put you down as someone they known. they should have let you know that they put you down and that an investagtor would be stopping by to asked questions. the investagator will either come back or go to the next name on the paperwork to get the information that he needs to complete the b.i..

#21 ·
someone you know is going thru a background investigation for a federal job of some type and they put you down as someone they known.
Actually, if the guy is doing the same investigation that the FBI agents used to do, they are not put down as a reference. The usual investigation goes back 10 years to talking with previous employers, co-workers, places that rented you your apartments/homes, all of your neighbors that still live there while you lived there, and even teachers and the students that were there if that 10-year period includes school time. The higher the clearance, the farther back and the more people they talk to. You get a "top secret" clearance and they'll even talk to your 2nd grade teacher and the people you went to school with (if they're still alive).

Cheers.

#23 ·
I've talked to a couple of these contractors. One came to the door, showed me his creds, and explained that he was doing a routine check on a neighbor who works at a federal facility. Said they have to do it every 5 (?) years to maintain clearance. I explained that I didn't know the guy well, he said that was fine, just how is his rep in the neighborhood, any visible alcohol abuse, neighborhood disputes, etc. I noticed he looked/talked like a retired LEO and mentioned it to him. Turns out he was retired FBI, something like 30 years. He said that the backgrounds the local FBI guys used to do is now done by contractors because FBI agents are all tied up with homeland defense duties and all that stuff. Said the per diem/pay was nice, no stress and getting out and away from the house was the best part. Sounds like a heck of a retirement job. The other one was a ZERO personality female, obviously NOT LEO grounded. She was doing one on an ex-PD guy now doing industrial security at a fed contracted aviation business. Asked the questions like she was doing the census. I could have told her the guy like to run up and down the street naked, making chicken noises, covered in warm oatmeal, with clothes pins on his nipples and she would not have noticed, it wasn't on the question list. I guess it's two different types of backgrounds.

#25 ·
DIS = now Defense Security Service...also, the Office of Personnel Managment (OPM) also conducts background investigations.

FIS?...Sounds phony to me--never heard of them (I saw the hyperlink above--Federal Investigative Services is service provided by OPM--not an organization--OPM is the organization). DO NOT LET THEM IN. Ask for a business card or who at the FBI can verify his identity. Do not use any phone number they give you--call 411 or local phone book. Better yet--call a cop.

I used to conduct investigations--and always coordinated with the local FBI office.

Mil Services: Air Force Office of Special Investigations; Army Criminal Investigations Division and Army Counter-Intelligence (902nd MI); Navy Criminal Investigations Service. All have phone numbers in the telephone book (if near a military base)--or call 411 for the base operator or command post.

#27 ·
FIS?...Sounds phony to me--never heard of them (I saw the hyperlink above--Federal Investigative Services is service provided by OPM--not an organization--OPM is the organization). DO NOT LET THEM IN. Ask for a business card or who at the FBI can verify his identity. Do not use any phone number they give you--call 411 or local phone book. Better yet--call a cop.
FIS is indeed a service rather than an organization by itself like the OPM, however, they are contracted by OPM to conduct the background investigations. They are contracted to do the BIs on federal employees which is one of the functions of OPM. I personally wouldn't let them in, either, but I would answer their questions. They are not LEOs, but sometimes they do the BIs on LEOs (e.g. Customs and Border Patrol).

I can already tell you that no one with the FBI is going to be able to verify their identity because they are not required or recommended to contact them or know who works for the OPM, they're seperate entities. And we should also remember that OPM and anything dealing with defense and the military are totally different ballgames. OPM doesn't touch the people in defense, they have their own people (as you pointed out). We get them at my work sometimes, too.

Cheers.

#28 ·
Sig,

True that the AF has the OSI but they can't do all the background checks.

I don't know if the people who did mine was FIS but it was a contracted agency that the military uses for such things.

My TS (lowest level) went back to grade school on the paperwork that I had to fill out. Ended up having to call my mom in order to get old teachers names, school names, etc..

Mine took a year to complete and I had people that I had forgotten that I'd even known calling me up to ask me who the "strange men" were that asked them questions.

I've known a few others that got the second highest TS (never had any friends, people that I knew, who got the top level) which took over a year to complete and they had more information on him then he even knew about himself :blink:

Wayne

#29 ·
Yes there is, they are Investigators doing background checks for Federal agencies, such as the Federal Bureau of Prisons and other Federal units, FAA etc. They are just a branch of Fedral OPM and to the best of my knowledge have no arrest powers, they simply do background checks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.