Law Enforcement Officers Killed and Assaulted 2011

This is a discussion on Law Enforcement Officers Killed and Assaulted 2011 within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Law Enforcement Officers Killed and Assaulted 2011 was released today by the FBI. They were a little slow this year. LEOKA Home Weapons Of officers ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 6 Post By ksholder

Thread: Law Enforcement Officers Killed and Assaulted 2011

Law Enforcement Officers Killed and Assaulted 2011 was released today by the FBI. They were a little slow this year.
    LEOKA Home

Weapons
    Of officers killed in 2011, most (63) were killed with firearms. Of these, 50 were killed with handguns. (A breakdown of the types of weapons used in these slayings is provided in Table 27.)
    5 officers had their weapons stolen.
    3 officers were killed with their own weapons. Note: that number has fallen dramatically in the past few years. Security holsters work.
    10 officers attempted to use their weapons; 17 officers fired their weapons.
    21 officers were slain with firearms when they were 0-5 feet from the offenders. Note: that does not mean 33% of gunfights occur within 5 feet, which is an all too common misinterpretation of the data.
    Once again, I remind everyone that if you haven't read the Summaries of Officers Feloniously Killed, incident by incident, you haven't read the report. If you need a drink(s) to get through it, that's understandable. Reading how good officers get killed is emotionally challenging but it's worth it for your understanding of the circumstances leading to their deaths. The life you save may be your own. A PDF is available for your convenience.
    Summaries of Officers Feloniously Killed

Being an LEO is getting more dangerous,should be death penalty for anytime somebody kills an LEO in the line of duty since from several reports I read there was no doubt they were the shooters with corroborating witnesses
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    I have no problem with the death penalty, but I do have issues with drawing class distinctions when applying it. What Dukalmighty proposes offers differing penalties for the same crime differentiating only on who the victim is(status or class). This is really no different than the so-called hate crime bills that impose a stronger penalty for killing a gay guy than grandma.

IMHO, criminals should be penalized based on the crime committed, not the status or class of the victim.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Gotta respect the LEOs, tough job, lots of danger and in my town pretty low pay.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    I have no problem with the death penalty, but I do have issues with drawing class distinctions when applying it. What Dukalmighty proposes offers differing penalties for the same crime differentiating only on who the victim is(status or class). This is really no different than the so-called hate crime bills that impose a stronger penalty for killing a gay guy than grandma.

IMHO, criminals should be penalized based on the crime committed, not the status or class of the victim.
    I have to agree with that thought. I would like to have equal protection under the law as some other "classes" aquire. Murder is murder; who the victim may be or what status they hold is irrelevent. To do otherise is discrimination.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Links