Misdemeanors? NO guns for you! - Page 2

Misdemeanors? NO guns for you!

This is a discussion on Misdemeanors? NO guns for you! within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is why the NRA doesn't like giving up any "gun right"...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree151Likes

Thread: Misdemeanors? NO guns for you!

This is why the NRA doesn't like giving up any "gun right"

I could only see it being denied for felony warrants, not a misdemeanor warrant,also, I couldn't see the FBI contacting local LE about it,but it could happen as the Op posted.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Administrator
    Well, I know that if HotGuns sez it happened...it happened.

Why does this not surprise me?
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Qk, never said it couldn't, just doubt that the FBI field office in my area would make that call. Might've been a slow day there.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Senior Moderator
    What get's me is how in the heck did a woman in a town of 1260 get denied by the FBI?

Was she put in a national database?

OK...she is a "fugitive from justice"...although she didnt even know it until I told her. She thought that she had taken care of it before hand, but someone didnt update the database.

So apparently a misdemeanor warrant is exactly the same as a felony warrant. Meaning that spitting on the sidewalk and forgetting to pay the fine is no different than mudering someone...because the result is the same. You get DENIED.

I'll bet the anti's are laughing their tails off at that one.
    The dispatcher told me that they were contacted by the FBI, which I have no reason to doubt, because otherwise they would have never known that she was trying to buy a rifle. Which FBI, I cant say. I'm guessing it was the national database from NICS,which is run by the FBI.

Once something is relegated to the computer, there is no gray, only black or white. An unintended consequence is the lack of common sense.
    This^

Apparently the computer automatically defines "fugitive status" if you dont show up and stays that way unless someone fixes it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Re: Misdemeanors? NO guns for you!

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    What get's me is how in the heck did a woman in a town of 1260 get denied by the FBI?

Was she put in a national database?
    There has been a push fore several years now (really since 9/11) to funnel more information about local criminal (and some non-criminal) activities up to the feds in hopes of detecting some sort of a pattern that might otherwise be missed. This is what the fusion centers are supposed to be up to. Imagine if this lady had also recently withdrawn a large sum of money from her bank account in order to buy a used car. The "know your customer" banking regulations require her bank to report this. Now imagine her brother recently bought a large quantity of fertilizer for his farm. Fertilizer companies supposedly report this. Throw in an attempt to buy a firearm and things could get interesting in a hurry.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
    msgt/ret, blitzburgh and DBX like this.

Welcome to the "new and improved" America............ Get used to it.............
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Forrest Gump : " Stupid is , as stupid does"

Idiotic for a misdemanor warrant to apply....... but good to know too. Next, the "Progressives" will want you not to be able to buy guns if you have any misdeamnor at all ...... just watch. Let's not give them any ideas.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Learn something every day. It's just not always good. And wow, they must have a LOT of people in that database with a deny status. Wow
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

The slippery slope in spades. Even the most head-in-sand types should have a tough time ignoring the signs of it now. (Though, they'll likely try awfully hard.)

Laughable in the extreme: that misdemeanors are blocking the right to keep arms, and that the FBI's involved in misdemeanors.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    FWIW:

Reasons You Can Be Denied a Firearm Transfer
    Background Check Required to Legally Buy a Gun
    By Charles Montaldo, About.com Guide

Prohibitive Criteria for Firearm Transfers
    Under federal law, there are specific reasons that a firearm transfer can be denied. If you have had a firearm transfer denied, it is because you or someone else with a similar name or descriptive features has ever been:

A fugitive from justice.

Source: U.S. Department of Justice, Federal Bureau of Investigation, Criminal Justice Information Services Division. "Guide for Appealing a Firearm Transfer Denial." Revised March 2007.
    The wording is the problem. It is too ambiguous... Unfortunately it is looked upon as "rules are rules" with no further consideration.

Can we all say "......shall not be infringed."
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Re: Misdemeanors? NO guns for you!

I wish I could be surprised. This is just the beginning...

-- I don't always post from my mobile but when I do, I prefer Tapatalk.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    I am in absolute, 100%, complete agreement with everyone else with regards to how ridiculous this is. I also agree that the slipper slope argument applies and that before all is said and done, people will get denied for all sorts of frivolous reasons that have to do with private transactions and that private companies will undoubtedly be able to add you to the database and you will be hard pressed to counter it. For those who don't think that it can happen, just look at the credit monitoring system as model paradigm.

About a year or so ago, a discussion came up on a regional forum (link) about running an NICS check at the time of the transaction on people who have already obtained the proper purchase papers. This thread came about because of someone who was denied purchase because of an UPCOMING COURT DATE FOR A SPEEDING TICKET!

In the state of NC, those who have a concealed carry permit may purchase and it is not required to run an NICS check on the transaction. One store owner thought that it was a good idea to do so, but many forum members, including myself disagreed. My argument was that in obtaining the carry permit that I had already been through a more rigorous check than the NICS and that per the state laws it is not required to run additional checks. I acknowledged that while it was the store owners prerogative to do so, that there were many other stores that did not and that all things being equal would choose to do business where the did not run checks above and beyond those required. From what I recall, based upon the discussion, the store owner agreed with this reasoning and changed his practices.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    The same people who are trying to get felons the right to vote want to take away your right to bear arms because of an outstanding speeding ticket. Makes me want to puke.
    CIBMike likes this.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

She wasnt denied for having a misdemeanor on her record but just for the misdemeanor warrant. At least that can be removed!

I am surprised also that the fbi got involved. But i did hear about a similar instance where a person walked into a lgs and filled out te form for a pistol. He was denied because of his criminal record (non felony) and he had a low bond, non-extraditable warrant from 3 states away. "Somebody" called local pd dispatch and dispatch tried to send a uniform over there. The seasoned uniform asked about the warrant and asked if the denied person was causing a disturbance. It turns out the denied guy said, "ok sorry to waste your time," and left peacefully. Dispatch said that he had an extensive drug history, but the warrant was for a petty offense. Did the system work like it was supposed to? I dont know 100% but my gut feeling is yes.

I dont want to deny anyone from gun ownership unless they have lost that right through their own actions.

And the lady with the misdemeanor warrant? Go pay your fees get it in writing that the warrant is removed and go get your gun. Easy. Should it prevent her from being a gun owner? No but its a good way to get tickets paid.

Here in colorado if you let a ticket go unpaid long enough your drivers license gets suspended until you take care of the ticket. Get behind on child support? Or court ordered SR22 insurance? Same thing, license suspension until you are paid up.
    PROTECT THE FLOCK, CONFRONT THE WOLF.....

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links