Misdemeanors? NO guns for you! - Page 3

Misdemeanors? NO guns for you!

This is a discussion on Misdemeanors? NO guns for you! within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Farting is a crime? My God I will be on death row....

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree151Likes

Thread: Misdemeanors? NO guns for you!

Ex Member
    Farting is a crime? My God I will be on death row.
    Vminghelli and DBX like this.

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    Welcome to the "New Amerika" brought to you by your "New" commie-in-chief. The slippery slope will be further greased when Hillary,Reid,Pelosi and Obonko further the Push for the disarmament of this once Great Country. Coming here real soon!!!.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Today's jaywalking might be tomorrow's serial killer!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Today's jaywalking might be tomorrow's serial killer!
    Well that's good enough for me. Lock 'em all up.

</satire>
    </tongue-in-cheek>
    </facetious>
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Whether its legal or not, it happened.

Come to your own conclusions about that. I've never heard of it until today.
    HotGuns - I realize this post is rather old but it turned up in my searches and maybe you've had a chance to get more info regarding this subject. I recently had a NICS denial due to a warrant (I did not know existed) from 1999 that was issued because I owed 77hrs of work detail hours... I had two issues back to back in '99 and I jumped thru all the hoops to clear them up... I really think I completed the hours but there is no way for me to prove that 15yrs later, so I'll be jumping thru them again if my letter to the judge doesn't suffice. I owned a home which I sold to my mother in 2003, so any mail sent regarding this would have gotten to back to me. The warrant has never turned up in ANY of my previous background checks for work (also including 3 Livescans and a TWIC) nor has it ever caused a denial with any previous firearm purchases. I purchased a Glock 19 in Feb of this year also.

My concern is... I need confirmation that this is only a "deny to purchase", which will be absolved once the warrant is cleared up (working on immediately). This should have no bearing on the firearms I currently own as it was never a prohibitive offense and the warrant was not for the original offense but actually issued by the DA for failure to complete work hours... I cannot get any answer from the DOJ on this.

I had contacted an attorney when the "Delay" was first issued, and again when it was converted to a "Denial"... but he seemed to think it should be easy enough to clear up. I just don't want to get in trouble during hunting season or what not. Seems like a really strange issue and completely uncalled for.

Anyway, let me know if you've learned anything further. Thanks.

S

Senior Moderator
    I've since had another denial form a young man that didn't pay a speeding ticket. He talked to the city clerk about it and he says that she told him just to talk to the City Prosecutor and that he could make payments on it.

Unfortunately, it seems that his denial status stands until the fine is paid in full and he gets someone to update the records. The problem is that it will probably take a lawyer to clear it up. How much is that 150 shotgun really going to cost him?

I've still got it in my safe.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I've since had another denial form a young man that didn't pay a speeding ticket. He talked to the city clerk about it and he says that she told him just to talk to the City Prosecutor and that he could make payments on it.

Unfortunately, it seems that his denial status stands until the fine is paid in full and he gets someone to update the records. The problem is that it will probably take a lawyer to clear it up. How much is that 150 shotgun really going to cost him?

I've still got it in my safe.

So, what is it the NICS folks (BATFE, FBI?) say about the NICS system being used to bar folks with misdemeanors and payment issues from acquiring arms? Or, do they say zip?

Senior Member Array Crescentstar's Avatar
    The question is, after clearing up the warrant, are her privileges restored? I would think so, and if they are, it is no different than not being able to renew licenses and car registrations when owing back child support, which some states do. It appears that the issue wasn't the misdemeanor itself, but the warrant. In any case, I bet if she clears the warrant up, she wont have any more problems. Forced compliance, if you will.
    "Clearly that's a YOU problem not a ME problem."

Senior Moderator
    Or, do they say zip?
    I think that they are laughing their tails off at us for being stupid enough to allow crap like that.
    Jaeger and oneshot like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

A misdemeaner for farting? I guess I better stock up on Beeno.

Innocent until proven guilty? Then why am I being stopped at a roadblock looking for drunks just because I'm driving around at midnight? Isn't that presuming that you're guilty until proven innocent? BTW, I haven't had a drink in over 10 years.

She was a fugitive from justice .... technically

Senior Member Array Crescentstar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    Exactly! You can argue that she was a swell lady and it was only a misdemeanor offense, but apparently, she had a cavalier attitude, and didn't take it seriously until not only a warrant for her arrest was issued, but she got flagged during the background check.

Misdemeanor or not, the moral of the story is, take responsibility for your actions seriously. I find it hard to believe she just "forgot" to take care of the ticket. Notices are usually mailed, etc. Pay your ticket, no warrant, no flagging. Not trying to stir the pot, just seems simple to me.
    "Clearly that's a YOU problem not a ME problem."

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    But the NICS was being used to block non-threats ... technically a violation as well, I'd say.

At least, in violation of what it's promoted to be, a way to block dangerous felons from acquiring arms. Now, it's being used to strong-arm those have unpaid fines, aren't timely in getting their administrative things wrapped up, etc. Can't imagine this was the plan being promoted, back when NICS was proposed. (Though, almost certainly it's unsurprising to see a felon-catching tool being leveraged to be an all-encompassing block against people.)
    oneshot likes this.

It's not the misdemeanor she was denied for. It's the fact she's a fugitive from justice. Regardless of the charge it asks right on the form if you are a fugitive from justice.
    Last edited by Gun_guy; October 20th, 2014 at 11:49 PM.
    Crescentstar likes this.

Senior Moderator
    I find it hard to believe she just "forgot" to take care of the ticket. Notices are usually mailed, etc. Pay your ticket, no warrant, no flagging. Not trying to stir the pot, just seems simple to me.
    It seems simple to me that you did not read the story and are making assumptions.

She had called the Court Clerk and made arrangements to reappear at the next court date which was a month away. For some reason, somebody forgot to follow up with that and when she didn't show, the warrant was issued. Call it miscommunication, bad communication, or maybe in this case , no communication. Call it whatever you want...it doesn't matter.
    DBX likes this.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links