Sword cuts both ways - Police can record you, and YOU CAN RECORD THEM TOO! - Page 2

Sword cuts both ways - Police can record you, and YOU CAN RECORD THEM TOO!

This is a discussion on Sword cuts both ways - Police can record you, and YOU CAN RECORD THEM TOO! within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by SIGguy229 ...except the whole Rodney King episode...10-15 secs out of a 20 min pursuit & engagement... I said MOST ...not all...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Sword cuts both ways - Police can record you, and YOU CAN RECORD THEM TOO!

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    ...except the whole Rodney King episode...10-15 secs out of a 20 min pursuit & engagement...
    I said MOST...not all
    SIGguy229 likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I thought that the State of Maryland had specifically outlawed filming cops working. Is that thought correct, anyone know?
    If correct, does this SC ruling invalidate Maryland's law or only what happens in the circuit that hears IL cases?
    It invalidates the IL law, which sets case law for a similar case from any other state. Unless the AG in MD is a fool, he (she) will review the SC ruling and how it applies to MD law on the same matter.

So yes, it basically invalidates any state law prohibiting videoing LEOs in performance of their duties.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    Definitive working of the Bill of Rights and government of the people, and cops on this forum have no problem with it.
    I'm proud to be American. Stay safe, out there, thin blue line. You are part of the rubber that meets the road that makes this country great.
    J_B likes this.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Good subject, back in the late 80's while active duty, during our Navy Security Police Academy, we were taught this same thing, to always assume someone is watching and maybe taping also, it worked for me, and my fellow officers. We did get the typical complaints from some witnesses to our routine situations, such as our handling of a punchy drunk, and our senior leaders would look into it. 99% of the time, we never heard any feedback. Thankfully Youtube and cell phones with record functions didn't exist in those days. We did it as right as right is !

I know it goes both ways, keeps us on our toes to do the best with what we are dealing with and also to protect us in the long run.
    Just wait until the world changes over to camera's on our firearms, like some of the military is using today. I have mixed feelings about that, talk about micro management.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links