How do you feel about this?

This is a discussion on How do you feel about this? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; In advance, Mods, I apologize if this thread doesn't belong here. The thread Excessive Force is what inspired this. A poster brought up how such ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By OldVet
  • 2 Post By Arborigine
  • 1 Post By tacman605
  • 1 Post By Eagleks

Thread: How do you feel about this?

In advance, Mods, I apologize if this thread doesn't belong here.

The thread Excessive Force is what inspired this. A poster brought up how such a lawsuit having to be paid out effects the community.

I personally knew about such effects, but there's many who do not and simply think the judgement amount is paid through thin air and doesn't come out of their taxes, and take away from their children, etc.

Point of this thread: LEO's, if you wouldn't mind, how is such a thing handled in your county/state? LEO and civvies, how do you feel about such policies where these lawsuits effect the over-all community?
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

VIP Member
    By the way, what happened to the "Excessive Force?" thread?
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    It was closed and deleted.

As for original post...... In most if not all communities such law suits are usually paid with tax monies.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    It was closed and deleted..
    Too bad, it was just getting interesting. I detest censorship, but it's not my site. I guess my 500th post is now classified information.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    Still available here.

Excessive force?
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Still available here.

Excessive force?
    That's a different thread.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Of course the penalty against any municipality comes out of the tax base, and if I hear that my tax money is being "wasted" in such a manner, the municipality is going to hear about it big time and the situation underlying the award will be corrected. It's called communnity involvement.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    These "deep pocket" suits effect us all in some way, either more taxes have to be collected or a public service suffers, or in the private sector prices have to increase. I wonder how much of the price of a ladder is for legal fees? I shun people who tend to sue frequently, and refuse to do business with them. One of the benefits of small townism, we know who they are.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

VIP Member
    Actually lawsuits filed against cities and municipalities are usually covered by the cities liability insurance policies just as an accident would be covered under your own insurance policy.

It would have an indirect effect on the taxpayers in the form of higher insurance premiums which in turn could lead to higher taxes passed on to cover the increased insurance premiums.

People today want something for nothing, it is the easiest way to make a living.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

If nothing negligent, malicious, with ill will or intent, beyond the authority of, etc. occurred.... no lawsuit would be filed nor won. It is what it is. Cities, counties, etc. are responsible for the acts of any of their employees, and should weed out the one's that are problems. If they aren't doing their jobs well in this area, then citizens should get the appropriate Administrators in those Depts ... no matter what dept it is..... removed and on the unemployment line and get those in who will. When tax payers sit by and let it continue without hitting up their city councils, etc..... they deserve what they get.... and paying the taxes to pay off the lawsuits that come along with it.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Links