Air Raid On Pearl Harbor. This Is No Drill!

This is a discussion on Air Raid On Pearl Harbor. This Is No Drill! within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; AIR RAID ON PEARL HARBOR. THIS IS NO DRILL National Archives and Records Administration December 7, 1941 - Telegram from Commander in Chief of the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Air Raid On Pearl Harbor. This Is No Drill!

Distinguished Member Array S&WOwner's Avatar

AIR RAID ON PEARL HARBOR. THIS IS NO DRILL
    National Archives and Records Administration

December 7, 1941
    - Telegram from Commander in Chief of the Pacific Fleet (CINCPAC) to all ships in Hawaiian area, December 7, 1941.

The Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor catapulted the United States into World War II. On December 7, 1941, the U.S. naval base on the island of Oahu, Hawaii, was subject to an attack that was one of the greatest military surprises in the history of warfare. In less than 2 hours, the U.S. Pacific Fleet was devastated, and more than 3,500 Americans were either killed or wounded...more...

My Grandfather, a WWI veteran had a nephew who was at Hickam Field during the attack. He told us about it during a visit to my parents home many years ago.

It is still fresh in the minds of a growing number of people who are aging and dying. My dad's cousin has passed on as well, and we will soon have no more of those who were immersed in this attack. Only those left can remind the world of that day and we should never forget.
    Jeanlouise and The Old Anglo like this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    God Bless our servicemen and women, they never flinch.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

My family was at Pearl Harbor that infamous day.....my uncle would tell us about it and we have pics of him there in Hawaii.....he was a Captain / Dentist.....probably the only dentist ever to do castration surgery as all medical personel were working on emergency call naturally.

Thank you to all those who sacrificed to keep our freedoms and way of life.... The greatest generation.

(And I'm sorry we are screwing it up)

The National Archives' online web site has quite a few good photos and documents related to the Pearl Harbor attack.

Search @ National Archives: click. Can restrict to photos, film, documents.

Here are some neat photos, audio from Dec. 7, 1941. Such as ...

News Report by NBC reporter on a rooftop in Honolulu, during the ~3hr attack

Analysis of the attack, by H.V. Kaltenborn

Repairs being done at Ford Island Naval Air Station later that day:

A man being rescued from the water near the USS West Virginia:

Hangar and planes damaged:

USS California sinking into the mud:

Damaged warships:

Two-man submarine found beached, soon after the attack:

USS West Virginia and USS Tennessee damaged:

Destroyers USS Downes and USS Cassin:
    The Old Anglo likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    Amen.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    Indeed!
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Having been stationed at Pearl for nearly 6 years, the history of that attack is inescapable. There were still a few buildings with bullet holes on Ford Island. Our Captian actually orginized a lesson with a Pearl Harbor survivor who was a teen living on Ford Island....... A history lesson from someone who was there. Very moving and profound listening to a first-hand account.

It was a privlege and an honor to have served there and to carry on what thos before us had endured there.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    My dad was a Seabee during WWII, and I only found out by accident that he preformed the surveying for the pits used to load the atomic bombs on the B-29s on Tinian. I always wished he'd recorded his memories of the war, but he always made out it was no big deal, typical of many who served. I have so many questions that will remain unanswered.

After his death I found most of his letters he'd written during the war. I hoped to post the one from Aug. 16, 1945 when he received word of the surrender, but I can't get it to copy (I hate pdf!). The mixed emotions of rumors versus facts are very evident.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

mkh
    God Bless America and our Armed Forces.

Never forget what this day ( and 9/11 ) mean.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    Having been stationed at Pearl for nearly 6 years, the history of that attack is inescapable. There were still a few buildings with bullet holes on Ford Island. Our Captian actually orginized a lesson with a Pearl Harbor survivor who was a teen living on Ford Island....... A history lesson from someone who was there. Very moving and profound listening to a first-hand account.

It was a privlege and an honor to have served there and to carry on what thos before us had endured there.
    Been to Hickam many times, PACAF Headquarters and several other buildings there still show scars from bullets and shrapnel.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Senior Moderator
    Moved from Off topic and humor

World war II seems to be the last time that our country was willing to work together collectively and sacrifice for the greater good.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    No knock against the skills and will of today's forces, but it was also the last time our enemy was defeated. Since then we've made truces, left, or allowed the enemy to melt away. I suppose that's what happens when the civilian command decides to play nice.

In WWII we had a purpose; The defeat and unconditional surrender of the enemy forces. Now no uniformed enemy challenges us, only those who seek to hide among "innocents," if they could be distinguished from the enemies.
    msgt/ret, WHEC724 and Jeanlouise like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    The only survivor of the Pearl Harbor attack I ever had the privilege to meet was Carmen Caruso. At the time of the attack, he was a 22-year-old Marine awaiting transport to Wake Island. He was on a harbor transport boat when the attack occurred, and spent the remainder of daylight hours pulling wounded from the water. Two days later, his transport departed for Wake Island. During the Battle of Midway, a Japanese bomb knocked him off his gun, took his hearing, and ended his military career. He came to Marion, Ohio after the war, raised his family, and tried to forget. After 9/11, he was finally moved to speak of his wartime experience. He passed on in 2005.
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links