A good day in the rockpile

This is a discussion on A good day in the rockpile within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well yesterday was one of those days you could almost forget where you were except for the rocks, hesco barriers, call to prayer and the ...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 5 Post By tacman605
  • 1 Post By ANGLICO
  • 2 Post By mkh

Thread: A good day in the rockpile

VIP Member

A good day in the rockpile

Well yesterday was one of those days you could almost forget where you were except for the rocks, hesco barriers, call to prayer and the mountains. Weather was great, no wind, sunshine so what to do? Go shoot of course.

Myself and a few of the team here decided to shoot for awhile and raided the arms room. One of the things I like about being with the teams is they have access to all the neat toys some of which I already have and some I like to shoot but have absolutely no desire to own.

We selected two M110 Sniper rifles one suppressed and one not and a beautiful Winchester M-14 with a fiberglass stock and iron sights to take out. We have an area inside the camp that we can shoot 200 yards that is enclosed by a Hesco walls so we set up a simple range with some human size targets and some hanging steel.

The M110 is a Knight SR-25 with a Leupold or similar optic in 7.62 Nato. The rifles are adjustable for everything and since the controls are M4 like very easy to shoot. Shooting these was no accomplishment to shoot sub MOA groups at 200 so we then went to shooting specific numbers or marks on the targets.

I have a special place in my heart for the M-14/M1A type rifles. I own an M1A and it is a joy to shoot as this one was. These rifles are available for issue but not many carry them since there are SCAR heavies available. The guys popped off a few rounds from kneeling and prone with pretty good results but the Marine in me had to do better.

I took three spotter shots to see where the sights were sitting and then offhand at 200 proceeded to ding steel round after round with this rifle. The trigger was all military but after a couple of rounds to get the feel for the take up and break there were no issues.

I will post some pics of the rifles when I get my SD card back. It has been a very stressful month so this was a great stress reliever.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

2. Remove Ads

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.
    Quote from OP - I have a special place in my heart for the M-14/M1A type rifles

Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!................ May I now float to a higher level of...............................

Semper Fi!
    glockman10mm likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Sounds like a pretty good day, glad you get to have some fun, even in that place. Stay safe tacman!
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

mkh
    Thanks for the report from the rock pile. Keep your head down and make sure you come home safely.
    Last edited by mkh; December 11th, 2012 at 10:42 AM. Reason: fixed spelling

I used an M-14 sniper rifle in Vietnam. It remains a favorite.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Senior Moderator
    Sounds like a good day, stay safe tacman and keep us posted
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Sounds like you put your down time to good use. BTW, thank you for your service.

Lead Moderator
    Good you could get out and relieve some stress, stay safe.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Glad it was a good day! Stay safe and get home safe too.

Suppressed Mark 110 sniper rifles are quite a bit of fun.

Although, sounds like everything selected would be.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Links