Novel Idea For School Security - Page 2

Novel Idea For School Security

This is a discussion on Novel Idea For School Security within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; How many armed guards (LEO's DHS whatever) or armed and trained faculty members can we have for $304.15 million (the cost of one F-35 fighter)?...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Novel Idea For School Security

Senior Moderator
    How many armed guards (LEO's DHS whatever) or armed and trained faculty members can we have for $304.15 million (the cost of one F-35 fighter)?
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    I live in Palm Beach County Florida, and the county school system has their own School Police Department and has armed officers at the schools. My grandson attends the local high school and the police are well seen at the one and only entrance and throughout the school.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

I would be all for giving veterans prefrance in something like this with proper screening and trianing. I would be better for some veterans not to be armed at a loud and and caotic school.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    While I appreciate the concept, this would be a boon to the anti 2A crowd. Here how it works:

1. Hire tens of thousands of well meaning guards for schools
    2. Raise taxes to pay for them.
    3. All would be unionized workers (SEIU, etc).
    4. Their union dues go to the democratic party under Obama
    5. With additional cash for lobbying, etc, Obama and the democrats pass more gun control.

No thanks.
    1911srule likes this.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    How many armed guards (LEO's DHS whatever) or armed and trained faculty members can we have for $304.15 million (the cost of one F-35 fighter)?
    An F-16 is for national defense and is paid for by the Federal Governemnt, Schools and school security is done and should be done by local and state funds.

Just like we want the 2A to stand on its own I want the rest of the Constitution to stand on its own and that means ZERO Federal involvement in our schools.

And on a side note I am still perplexed to know why a cook that served three years on a carrier makes him the right choice for armed security at a school.........
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

No need to hire anyone when we already have thousands upon thousands under active duty already being paid and capable to to the job.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    No way! I do not want Homeland Security expanded. And the governments job is not to look for government jobs for people. We already have too many of them

Schools are the purview local and state governments. Not the Federal. There should not even be a Dept. of Education.
    I wouldn't be in favor of expanding the size and scope of DHS either. The agency should have never been created in the first place, but Joe Lieberman and company didn't ask any of us that became part of it. Can you say knee jerk reaction? But I digress.

I happen to know DHS has the capacity, with current personnel to manage the funding string. That's all I'm saying. I'm completely in your corner as to abolishing the Department of Education. It's duplicative, and serves no real purpose. Education is a local issue, and protecting our children is our issue.

If we could just get the Treasury to drop the money in a state account, with strict regulation that it could only be used for it's intended purpose, I'd be in favor of that. And FYI, law enforcement officers that are part of the federal government aren't allowed to unionize. I know this didn't come from your post, but it allows me to get it out there without another response. :) Be safe friend.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Senior Moderator
    They could be funded by federal grants and be local LEO's.

We would not have to raise taxes just reallocate money from defense to education security

They wouldn't be in unions in Alabama
    KBSR likes this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    They could be funded by federal grants and be local LEO's.

We would not have to raise taxes just reallocate money from defense to education security

They wouldn't be in unions in Alabama
    That I have less of a problem with And on a side note DOD can downsized easily by 30 percent by........won't go there...too much off topic LOL
    pgrass101 and KBSR like this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    While I understand the desire to keep our kids "safer", we need to understand that 100% safety is not attainable. I love the dialogue that has taken place in a couple of threads here. But, the question we need to ask is:

Do we want to live in a "police" state where there is a FALSE sense of security; but, our security will be 100% dependent on our government?

OR-

Do we want to live in a FREE society where there are risks; BUT, those risks can be minimized by taking MORE responsibility upon ourselves?

-
    GunTrooper likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Kids get killed in autos. Outlaw kids in autos?
    Kids get struck by lightning during outside sports. Outlaw kids playing outside sports?
    Kids get killed on playgrounds. Outlaw playgrounds?
    Kids choke to death on hot dogs at the county fairs. This is a tough one. Outlaw hot dogs or county fairs?

We can only work to minimize safety risks to our kids; they cannot be eliminated without raising our kids as sterile lab rats.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Kids get struck by lightning during outside sports. Outlaw kids playing outside sports?
    Kids choke to death on hot dogs at the county fairs. This is a tough one. Outlaw hot dogs or county fairs?
    Sorry OldVet, all your arguments make sense... but there's a problem with 'em.... See, at Sandy Hook... Satan used a GUN... an EVIL BLACK GUN.

Satan drives a car, too... he even lets kids get hit by lightning, he made those merry go rounds, and he choked them kids at the county fair... but we didn't see that... We saw him USE A GUN at Sandy Hook... that's the problem... We saw it... HE USED A GUN.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post

We can only work to minimize safety risks to our kids; they cannot be eliminated without raising our kids as sterile lab rats.
    I don't evn buy those arguements. They are all accidents and not the act of an individual using a weapon (yes, it is a weapon) designed to inflict damge on people.

This kind of reasoning most of us don't listen to.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    But we want to protect kids from everything, don't we? Or are we going to pick and choose only those caused by "evil"?

And yes, I was being factitious. But Satan making cars merry-go-rounds and hot dogs? Well, maybe hot dogs.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I don't evn buy those arguements. They are all accidents and not the act of an individual using a weapon (yes, it is a weapon) designed to inflict damge on people.

This kind of reasoning most of us don't listen to.
    Yes, it's true. It's a weapon. Designed to inflict damage or to kill outright. To deer, to ground hogs, to paper targets. But in the end, it's true design function is to kill. The knife, spear, arrow, sword... were all designed for that same thing... We found peaceful uses for the knife... and there are peaceful uses for the spear and arrow as well... But their principal initial design was to kill.

The original use of nuclear power was to kill as well.... We have found peaceful uses for it.

Man seems to want to be able to control deadly forces... maybe that's why we appreciate guns... we can control it and use it's destructive powers for peaceable entertainment.

But the lizard brain seeks out it's intended use... to kill. And, unfortunately, the higher brain gets cast aside in some folks. And the basest instinct take over and use the basest the basest function of the item close to hand...

How do we put an end to THAT? Just thinking out loud.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links