Novel Idea For School Security

This is a discussion on Novel Idea For School Security within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; America has many military personnel that are or have returned home from combat only to find they have no longer have a job. So here ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Novel Idea For School Security

Novel Idea For School Security

America has many military personnel that are or have returned home from combat only to find they have no longer have a job. So here is a possible solution that will serve many purposes. The Department of Homeland Security could hire these personnel as armed security guards at schools, certain events, etc. What better way for Homeland Security to spend the money rather that buying an underwater robot for Columbus, Ohio which has virtually no lakes or waterways, or some of the other asinine things they gave money to other communities to buy. Now our military people have jobs and are schools will be safer. Just a thought........
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    How abt everyone just homeschool...
    1911srule likes this.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Richard58 View Post
    Good idea however in many families both parents work plus everyone is not cut out to teach.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

I can think of a dozen individuals that would ruin their kids if they home-schooled.

I like the idea Crowman. It would be a nice addition to removing the firearms restrictions on school properties. My mom works for a school and will be contacting our legislatures soon to ask them to propose a bill allowing school staff with a permit to carry in schools. She was discussing it with the principal, who said she wanted to be able to carry too.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

I think the OP has a good idea but they should also do away with the Safe Zones and allow those people who can lawfully carry elsewhere also carry at the schools, malls and theaters.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

I like the thought process. I don't like the idea of making the Department of Homeland Security bigger, really, but bad with the good, I suppose.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Having retired from the Department of Homeland Security, and having first hand knowledge of how dysfunctional it really is, I'd think we'd be better served placing this new program somewhere else. Unfortunately, there really isn't another Federal Agency that this fits well in. I think it would probably work better if DHS was the funding mechanism, but it was left up to the states to manage, as part of their State Police, or even local Sheriffs offices.

Combine this with the dissolution of the ill conceived "Gun Free Zones", authorizing/training and arming select teachers and administrators, and the hardening of the infrastructure within our schools (real locking doors, safe rooms, controlled ingress/egress points) would go a long way towards making everyone safer.

And again, we aren't only preparing ourselves for the occasional mental case/grudge killer, but also for the inevitable terrorist strike against the soft underbelly of our country. If we couch it in these terms, we may be able to sustain this effort beyond the normal short attention span of our population.

Good thread Sir. Be safe.
    tcox4freedom, Bkrazy and Sarge65 like this.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    America has many military personnel that are or have returned home from combat only to find they have no longer have a job. So here is a possible solution that will serve many purposes. The Department of Homeland Security could hire these personnel as armed security guards at schools, certain events, etc. What better way for Homeland Security to spend the money rather that buying an underwater robot for Columbus, Ohio which has virtually no lakes or waterways, or some of the other asinine things they gave money to other communities to buy. Now our military people have jobs and are schools will be safer. Just a thought........
    No thanks. This seems like it would be Obama's start to his private army just as big and as well funded as the military. Remember the brown shirts and the gestapo?

Lead Moderator
    Go to any LARGE city, in an out of city-center neighborhood, stand there and look at what walks by for about 15 minutes... That should answer your question.
    Rock and Glock and 3wggl like this.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by KBSR View Post
    I think it would probably work better if DHS was the funding mechanism, but it was left up to the states to manage, as part of their State Police, or even local Sheriffs offices.
    This, as far as I can can tell, is a huge problem in this country. Washington takes everybody's money, tens of thousands of people sit around in D.C. and produce virtually nothing, and then they send money back to the states for 60 cents on the dollar.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    This, as far as I can can tell, is a huge problem in this country. Washington takes everybody's money, tens of thousands of people sit around in D.C. and produce virtually nothing, and then they send money back to the states for 60 cents on the dollar.
    I'm with you there. So figure out how to get the funding done without the fed's help then. Will never happen. Stretched as most state budgets are now, I don't think it would ever happen. I for one would support abolishing the failed Federal Department of Education, and using that money to fund this program. There is plenty of waste, and duplication that could be eliminated to support such a program, if the will of the people is strong enough.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    ^^That's why.^^ If I homeschooled my kids, they'd be no smarter than I am. I am totally unqualified as a teacher and openly admit it.
    Last edited by OldVet; December 19th, 2012 at 09:51 AM.
    Doghandler likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Thumbs up

Looks like someone else has a similar idea:

Father, Former Marine Stands Guard At Elementary School - NewsChannel5.com | Nashville News, Weather & Sports

"NASHVILLE, Tenn. - After the tragic events at Sandy Hook Elementary School, one local father and former Marine is standing guard at his children's school and parents said he's a welcome addition to the school.

Jordan Pritchard, a former Staff Sergeant in the U.S. Marine Corps, pulled down his old Marine Corps uniform from the attic Sunday night and decided to make a difference in his community. When he was in the military his job was to keep our country safe and for the next week he planned bring that safety home by standing guard outside the front door of Gower Elementary School.
    "
    packinnova and oakchas like this.

No way! I do not want Homeland Security expanded. And the governments job is not to look for government jobs for people. We already have too many of them

Schools are the purview local and state governments. Not the Federal. There should not even be a Dept. of Education.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by Curzyk View Post
    Looks like someone else has a similar idea:

Father, Former Marine Stands Guard At Elementary School - NewsChannel5.com | Nashville News, Weather & Sports

"NASHVILLE, Tenn. - After the tragic events at Sandy Hook Elementary School, one local father and former Marine is standing guard at his children's school and parents said he's a welcome addition to the school.

Jordan Pritchard, a former Staff Sergeant in the U.S. Marine Corps, pulled down his old Marine Corps uniform from the attic Sunday night and decided to make a difference in his community. When he was in the military his job was to keep our country safe and for the next week he planned bring that safety home by standing guard outside the front door of Gower Elementary School.
    "
    I'd like to see more of this... Frankly, I wish he were armed... but if there were more than one... It would act as a deterrent.

As a community, we need to be proactive. In an absolutely unambiguous way.

Unfortunately, it's too late now.
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links