Defensive Carry banner

Novel Idea For School Security

3K views 38 replies 24 participants last post by  oakchas 
#1 ·
America has many military personnel that are or have returned home from combat only to find they have no longer have a job. So here is a possible solution that will serve many purposes. The Department of Homeland Security could hire these personnel as armed security guards at schools, certain events, etc. What better way for Homeland Security to spend the money rather that buying an underwater robot for Columbus, Ohio which has virtually no lakes or waterways, or some of the other asinine things they gave money to other communities to buy. Now our military people have jobs and are schools will be safer. Just a thought........ :blink:

Reactions: tcox4freedom
#3 ·
Good idea however in many families both parents work plus everyone is not cut out to teach.

#4 ·
I can think of a dozen individuals that would ruin their kids if they home-schooled.

I like the idea Crowman. It would be a nice addition to removing the firearms restrictions on school properties. My mom works for a school and will be contacting our legislatures soon to ask them to propose a bill allowing school staff with a permit to carry in schools. She was discussing it with the principal, who said she wanted to be able to carry too.

#5 ·
I think the OP has a good idea but they should also do away with the Safe Zones and allow those people who can lawfully carry elsewhere also carry at the schools, malls and theaters.

Reactions: Rock and Glock
#6 ·
I like the thought process. I don't like the idea of making the Department of Homeland Security bigger, really, but bad with the good, I suppose.

#7 ·
Having retired from the Department of Homeland Security, and having first hand knowledge of how dysfunctional it really is, I'd think we'd be better served placing this new program somewhere else. Unfortunately, there really isn't another Federal Agency that this fits well in. I think it would probably work better if DHS was the funding mechanism, but it was left up to the states to manage, as part of their State Police, or even local Sheriffs offices.

Combine this with the dissolution of the ill conceived "Gun Free Zones", authorizing/training and arming select teachers and administrators, and the hardening of the infrastructure within our schools (real locking doors, safe rooms, controlled ingress/egress points) would go a long way towards making everyone safer.

And again, we aren't only preparing ourselves for the occasional mental case/grudge killer, but also for the inevitable terrorist strike against the soft underbelly of our country. If we couch it in these terms, we may be able to sustain this effort beyond the normal short attention span of our population.

Good thread Sir. Be safe.

#10 ·
I think it would probably work better if DHS was the funding mechanism, but it was left up to the states to manage, as part of their State Police, or even local Sheriffs offices.
This, as far as I can can tell, is a huge problem in this country. Washington takes everybody's money, tens of thousands of people sit around in D.C. and produce virtually nothing, and then they send money back to the states for 60 cents on the dollar.

#13 ·
Looks like someone else has a similar idea:

Father, Former Marine Stands Guard At Elementary School - NewsChannel5.com | Nashville News, Weather & Sports

"NASHVILLE, Tenn. - After the tragic events at Sandy Hook Elementary School, one local father and former Marine is standing guard at his children's school and parents said he's a welcome addition to the school.

Jordan Pritchard, a former Staff Sergeant in the U.S. Marine Corps, pulled down his old Marine Corps uniform from the attic Sunday night and decided to make a difference in his community. When he was in the military his job was to keep our country safe and for the next week he planned bring that safety home by standing guard outside the front door of Gower Elementary School.
"

#15 ·
I'd like to see more of this... Frankly, I wish he were armed... but if there were more than one... It would act as a deterrent.

As a community, we need to be proactive. In an absolutely unambiguous way.

Unfortunately, it's too late now.

#14 ·
No way! I do not want Homeland Security expanded. And the governments job is not to look for government jobs for people. We already have too many of them

Schools are the purview local and state governments. Not the Federal. There should not even be a Dept. of Education.

#22 ·
I wouldn't be in favor of expanding the size and scope of DHS either. The agency should have never been created in the first place, but Joe Lieberman and company didn't ask any of us that became part of it. Can you say knee jerk reaction? But I digress.

I happen to know DHS has the capacity, with current personnel to manage the funding string. That's all I'm saying. I'm completely in your corner as to abolishing the Department of Education. It's duplicative, and serves no real purpose. Education is a local issue, and protecting our children is our issue.

If we could just get the Treasury to drop the money in a state account, with strict regulation that it could only be used for it's intended purpose, I'd be in favor of that. And FYI, law enforcement officers that are part of the federal government aren't allowed to unionize. I know this didn't come from your post, but it allows me to get it out there without another response. :) Be safe friend.

#16 ·
How many armed guards (LEO's DHS whatever) or armed and trained faculty members can we have for $304.15 million (the cost of one F-35 fighter)?

#20 ·
An F-16 is for national defense and is paid for by the Federal Governemnt, Schools and school security is done and should be done by local and state funds.

Just like we want the 2A to stand on its own I want the rest of the Constitution to stand on its own and that means ZERO Federal involvement in our schools.

And on a side note I am still perplexed to know why a cook that served three years on a carrier makes him the right choice for armed security at a school.........

#17 ·
I live in Palm Beach County Florida, and the county school system has their own School Police Department and has armed officers at the schools. My grandson attends the local high school and the police are well seen at the one and only entrance and throughout the school.

#18 ·
I would be all for giving veterans prefrance in something like this with proper screening and trianing. I would be better for some veterans not to be armed at a loud and and caotic school.

#19 ·
While I appreciate the concept, this would be a boon to the anti 2A crowd. Here how it works:

1. Hire tens of thousands of well meaning guards for schools
2. Raise taxes to pay for them.
3. All would be unionized workers (SEIU, etc).
4. Their union dues go to the democratic party under Obama
5. With additional cash for lobbying, etc, Obama and the democrats pass more gun control.

No thanks.

Reactions: 1911srule
#23 ·
They could be funded by federal grants and be local LEO's.

We would not have to raise taxes just reallocate money from defense to education security

They wouldn't be in unions in Alabama

Reactions: KBSR
#25 ·
While I understand the desire to keep our kids "safer", we need to understand that 100% safety is not attainable. I love the dialogue that has taken place in a couple of threads here. But, the question we need to ask is:

Do we want to live in a "police" state where there is a FALSE sense of security; but, our security will be 100% dependent on our government?

OR-

Do we want to live in a FREE society where there are risks; BUT, those risks can be minimized by taking MORE responsibility upon ourselves?

-

#26 ·
Kids get killed in autos. Outlaw kids in autos?
Kids get struck by lightning during outside sports. Outlaw kids playing outside sports?
Kids get killed on playgrounds. Outlaw playgrounds?
Kids choke to death on hot dogs at the county fairs. This is a tough one. Outlaw hot dogs or county fairs?

We can only work to minimize safety risks to our kids; they cannot be eliminated without raising our kids as sterile lab rats.

#27 ·
Kids get killed in autos. Outlaw kids in autos?
Kids get struck by lightning during outside sports. Outlaw kids playing outside sports?
Kids get killed on playgrounds. Outlaw playgrounds?
Kids choke to death on hot dogs at the county fairs. This is a tough one. Outlaw hot dogs or county fairs?
Sorry OldVet, all your arguments make sense... but there's a problem with 'em.... See, at Sandy Hook... Satan used a GUN... an EVIL BLACK GUN.

Satan drives a car, too... he even lets kids get hit by lightning, he made those merry go rounds, and he choked them kids at the county fair... but we didn't see that... We saw him USE A GUN at Sandy Hook... that's the problem... We saw it... HE USED A GUN.

#29 ·
But we want to protect kids from everything, don't we? Or are we going to pick and choose only those caused by "evil"?

And yes, I was being factitious. But Satan making cars merry-go-rounds and hot dogs? Well, maybe hot dogs.

#32 ·
If you think Satan's that personally involved in things, I guess so.

#33 ·
Chalk it up to evil if you will... It certainly ain't "good" that kills children on playgrounds, in cars, or at Sandy Hook.

Maybe it is all just accidents...

And people themselves, that are Evil (wonder how they got that way?... Oh, I know! it's them darned video games... yeah, that's the ticket... video games! Let's point at any THING and put the blame on THAT).

#34 ·
One of our politicos from ( I think) the Dallas area has proposed "School Marshalls". It would be one or more faculty members ( 1 per 400 kids) known only to each other, the principal, and the police who would CC on the job.

#35 · (Edited)
I think crowman's idea has some merit BUT what would Janet Napolitano think of it? Isn't she the one who worries that returning GI's could be terrorists because of PTSD?

I'm all for teachers/staff being allowed to carry under certain provisions. First, they should have their own CHL. Two, they should get at least basic training in negotiation much like the training we get for bomb threats. Much better to talk down a situation as opposed to shooting. But the bottom line should be the safety of the children.

If someone(s) attacks a school the teachers and staff are the FIRST responders. As such they should be allowed the means to respond effectively. Throwing a stapler or two-hole punch is not realistic - it's beyond desperate. Teachers should not be forced to carry.

Part of the TX CHL training is knowing when to use a weapon and the consideration of alternatives to using a weapon.

But I believe all should acknowledge that EVIL does exist. There are some people who are just plain bad and there is little to nothing anyone can do to change that. People need to come to grips with the realization that you cannot legislate evil away. Laws do not prvent crime. Laws only provide for a penalty against the criminal. Therefore there will come the time when bad people must be faced with force. To this end we must prepare ourselves to be able to do what is necessary to protect our children.

#37 ·
I think its brelliant idea crowman... Your not taking jobs away from teachers by home schooling, your adding jobsand helping our vets, which is what our country needs is more jobs, and our schools are safer. Its good in more than one way. I wouldnt see why anyone would disagree with your thought... Eddie.

#38 ·
I think the idea has some merit minus the DHS part. I don't think the feds need to be involved at all. I think ideally we would have the states putting out contracts to qualified private orgs that already hire former .mil for exactly this type of purpose. We just need to make sure they are vetted/screened properly first.

#39 ·
Maybe not so novel...
http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159365

I don't want 'em in DHS. AND I want the schools secured. Not to the level of an airport, though that could be inferred from what I wrote.

Secure entrances, mag strips on picture IDs for students. Metal detectors? Maybe. Half the schools in this country already have "resource officers" give them to the other half, and teachers could volunteer if they wanted to, to carry, with additional training, like the Northwest TX school district.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.