Running of the...Elephants???

Running of the...Elephants???

This is a discussion on Running of the...Elephants??? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Running of the Elephants Republican uses animals, mariachi band to critique border security By SARA INÉS CALDERÓN The Brownsville Herald October 11, 2006 — Reports ...

Thread: Running of the...Elephants???

Cool Running of the...Elephants???

Running of the Elephants

Republican uses animals, mariachi band to critique border security

By SARA INÉS CALDERÓN
    The Brownsville Herald

October 11, 2006 — Reports of an elephant crossing the river or people trying to smuggle an elephant across were rampant Tuesday while an elaborate political stunt was taking shape near the mouth of the Rio Grande.

It was a while later that the stunt, which was a photo shoot, was abruptly met by federal agents.

“The elephant never made landfall into Mexico, but I tell you something, he could have made 15 laps back and forth, but no one showed up,” said Raj Peter Bhakta, a former star on the NBC show “The Apprentice,” who also is a Republican candidate for the 13th District U.S. House of Representatives seat in Eastern Pennsylvania.

Three elephants, two African and an Asian, were taken out to a ranch near Boca Chica beach to perform, the 31-year-old Bhakta said.

He was in Brownsville to raise funds with friends and decided to get a first-hand look at border security while he was here, he said.

In Brownsville, he witnessed half a dozen men swim under one of the international bridges “with complete immunity” which in turn prompted him to take the immigration issue to the next level.

Bhakta decided to see if he could get an elephant accompanied by a six-piece mariachi band across the river.

According to his Web site, he is in favor of “sensible immigration reform” and supports a border fence, local law enforcement assistance with immigration laws and the use of the National Guard troops to help the U.S. Border Patrol.

“To my surprise, the band played on, the elephants splashed away, and nobody showed up,” Bhakta said of the stunt. “I’m astounded.”

The elephants came from Shrine Circuses, said James Plunkett, who produces the circus. They arrived in Brownsville on Monday and were scheduled to be on their way to Maybank on Tuesday afternoon. The elephants and the crew were at the Rio Grande for less than an hour, Plunkett said.

Plunkett said he and his crew were hired for a “photo shoot” and entered the Boca Chica beach area without any notice from the Border Patrol. However, when it became clear that the elephants were in a quarantined area, the Border Patrol alerted the U.S. Department of Agriculture, and the elephants had to be detained.

The animals needed to be sprayed for ticks.

Rumors made their way around town and back to Plunkett and his crew, he said.

“We were hearing all kinds of crazy stuff ourselves,” Plunkett said.

Someone reported to the Border Patrol that people were smuggling elephants, he said.

Bhakta was getting on a plane Tuesday afternoon shortly after the USDA released the elephants and they began their journey back to Maybank.

He said he was “staggered” by what happened on Tuesday and was planning on sharing the story with his potential constituents.

“If I can get an elephant led by a mariachi band into this country, I think Osama bin Laden could get across with all the weapons of mass destruction he could get into this country,” Bhakta said.

The mariachi band was not immediately available for comment.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Well, I guess that's one way to illustrate and emphasize the gaping hole that is our border.

Another reason I am considering joining the Minutemen!
    "There is no such thing as too much ammo. Unless you're swimming!"

Senior Moderator
    Gaping hole ?

With a hole like that you could run an entire tank division though it.

A hostile force could enter enough men and equipment through the border to change the the life of every single person in this country.

It'll never be closed down. The government "likes" open borders. Its "big" money.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Politicians are the worst eneny of the people and ocassionally them selves also, Dumb stunts are prevelant in campaigns.
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I thought the stunt showed both imagination , and a sense of humor , Lets just hope the shriners have a sense of humor since he got thier elephents impounded for up to 30 days lol . usda dont screw arround with livestock coming out of a quarentiene zone .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Senior Moderator
    Yeah....those elephants could definatley infect all of the other elephants in Mexico....
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Links