Armed Security at Columbine

This is a discussion on Armed Security at Columbine within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; While I could see an armed teacher seconding in some security capacity... I believe there should be an individual dedicated to this task. Simply having ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Armed Security at Columbine

While I could see an armed teacher seconding in some security capacity... I believe there should be an individual dedicated to this task. Simply having a gun is not enough. There must be constant training, and evaluation. Teachers have enough to do with keeping track of and educating children. Not knocking allowing teachers who have been trained, and qualified to be armed in schools...

2. Remove Ads

While I could see an armed teacher seconding in some security capacity... I believe there should be an individual dedicated to this task. Simply having a gun is not enough. There must be constant training, and evaluation. Teachers have enough to do with keeping track of and educating children. Not knocking allowing teachers who have been trained, and qualified to be armed in schools... The childrens safety and evacuation should be the teachers highest priority.

I wonder how many policemen were killed at Columbine?

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Okay, so The NRA says put armed guards at school... I've been in schools with active duty police (Chicago Public Schools), I've been in Schools with "Parking Lot Pigs" errrrr.... resource officers.

The anti's are saying that armed police were there at Columbine. And, regardless of the facts presented about the Officers (1 armed, one not) at Columbine.... There was an armed Officer of the law at Columbine And, IMO, he was ineffectual in stopping the attack.

That's been the point of the NRA argument... "One good guy with a gun" ... and it isn't enough... there are nature calls, there is the need to eat... etc etc.. One armed man is not enough.

Active shooter responses have changed since Columbine... Cops will go in shooting now.

But, honestly, it's going to take more than one cop to stop the next one (unless they get real lucky)... It's going to take willingly armed teachers... and maybe even some community volunteers.

And the nutcases have got to know that their intended target is not a gun free victim zone.
    I agree with your post, except on one minor detail. The NRA has been saying, "A good guy with a gun", as opposed to "one good guy...". Minor distinction, but makes all the difference. I don't believe it was ever suggested by the NRA, or anyone for that matter that only one is enough. I agree with your post, one armed security officer isn't enough. There should be security, and on top of that, any teacher that desires should carry in school.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    While I could see an armed teacher seconding in some security capacity... I believe there should be an individual dedicated to this task. Simply having a gun is not enough. There must be constant training, and evaluation. Teachers have enough to do with keeping track of and educating children. Not knocking allowing teachers who have been trained, and qualified to be armed in schools... The childrens safety and evacuation should be the teachers highest priority.
    Removing gun free zones would allow Teachers that not only care about Students safety,but their own the ability to carry a concealed handgun with a license,and during gunfire allow them to barricade the classroom and if a gunman tries to enter stop him with a gun he wasn't expecting.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    That armed good guy followed policy by NOT entering the building. That won't happen today.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    The school system here in Palm Beach County Florida has had a school police department for many years with officers assigned to most schools. It has proven to be very effective.
    School Police
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Nor ... that the SWAT team was outside 20 minutes or so, with "NO " plans to go in, as tactics at the time .... said not to with an active shooter.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

As noted, times were different. The SRO engaged the shooters and held what he had. Responding patrol officers established a perimeter and waited for the tactical team(s). The tactical teams waited for contact to be established. All per protocol; the best practices of the times. These days, the SRO would advance, patrol officers would make entry, and tactical units would role in if the situation hadn't been resolved prior to their arrival.
    God, country, family.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links