Armed Security at Columbine

This is a discussion on Armed Security at Columbine within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Much mention has been made during the current debate over the ineffectiveness of armed security as demonstrated at the Columbine shooting. What those critics of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Armed Security at Columbine

VIP Member

Much mention has been made during the current debate over the ineffectiveness of armed security as demonstrated at the Columbine shooting. What those critics of the plan fail to mention is that the officer in question was not on campus when the shooting erupted, and was never closer than sixty yards from the shooters.
    DEPUTIES_TEXT
    thephanatik, darbo and msgt/ret like this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member
    Unfortunately those "critics" don't really care about the realities of that situation; they care about a political agenda.

Since Columbine occurred in the middle of the last AWB, by their own logic, a new AWB shouldn't be worth doing either. Point that out to them and after the blank stare you receive followed by a few blinks, you'll get more excuses. It's different. It didn't last long enough. You gun nuts are all liars. Anything but an attitude that embraces the truth with the intention of actually making things "better".
    Brad426 and 1MoreGoodGuy like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    Unfortunately those "critics" don't really care about the realities of that situation; they care about a political agenda.

Since Columbine occurred in the middle of the last AWB, by their own logic, a new AWB shouldn't be worth doing either. Point that out to them and after the blank stare you receive followed by a few blinks, you'll get more excuses. It's different. It didn't last long enough. You gun nuts are all liars. Anything but an attitude that embraces the truth with the intention of actually making things "better".
    You are right, of course, but when all else fails, the truth is still a good go-to plan.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

I got into a Facebook back and forth with one of my "friends" that is very anti-gun. She raised this issue and I shot her down with multiple articles and interviews stating the same thing. She was throwing out the articles that all mentioned that Columbine HS had onsite armed security, but none of the articles mentioned where he was (or wasn't) and how he could have responded from where he was (parking lot eating lunch).

Whenever any of us run across this stuff, we MUST counter with facts. We can not allow half truths and lies go without response.

Cheers.
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

VIP Member
    Speaking of Columbine, if any of you folks are ever interested in reading a good book that really dissects the whole tragedy of Columbine, this is really worth the read:

Amazon.com: Columbine (9780446546928): Dave Cullen: Books

Mr. Cullen does a really good job, IMO, of illustrating the various and complex parts that ended in the tragic loss of lives that day.

You could also point out that the idea of security at schools isn't a new one...
    Rahm Emanuel's Response to NRA School Safety Plan
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

That's why I chose my new signature

Okay, so The NRA says put armed guards at school... I've been in schools with active duty police (Chicago Public Schools), I've been in Schools with "Parking Lot Pigs" errrrr.... resource officers.

The anti's are saying that armed police were there at Columbine. And, regardless of the facts presented about the Officers (1 armed, one not) at Columbine.... There was an armed Officer of the law at Columbine And, IMO, he was ineffectual in stopping the attack.

That's been the point of the NRA argument... "One good guy with a gun" ... and it isn't enough... there are nature calls, there is the need to eat... etc etc.. One armed man is not enough.

Active shooter responses have changed since Columbine... Cops will go in shooting now.

But, honestly, it's going to take more than one cop to stop the next one (unless they get real lucky)... It's going to take willingly armed teachers... and maybe even some community volunteers.

And the nutcases have got to know that their intended target is not a gun free victim zone.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Okay, so The NRA says put armed guards at school... I've been in schools with active duty police (Chicago Public Schools), I've been in Schools with "Parking Lot Pigs" errrrr.... resource officers.

The anti's are saying that armed police were there at Columbine. And, regardless of the facts presented about the Officers (1 armed, one not) at Columbine.... There was an armed Officer of the law at Columbine And, IMO, he was ineffectual in stopping the attack.

That's been the point of the NRA argument... "One good guy with a gun" ... and it isn't enough... there are nature calls, there is the need to eat... etc etc.. One armed man is not enough.

Active shooter responses have changed since Columbine... Cops will go in shooting now.

But, honestly, it's going to take more than one cop to stop the next one (unless they get real lucky)... It's going to take willingly armed teachers... and maybe even some community volunteers.

And the nutcases have got to know that their intended target is not a gun free victim zone.
    I agree and I don't think the NRA is of the opinion that having an armed officer in each school is the beginning, middle and end of the conversation. That's the point of the task force that Asa Hutchinson is heading up. Based on the press conference, they will be looking at the sum total of school security and offering whatever they can to be a resource for school systems.
    Darrow75 likes this.

We have LEO's in our schools anyway promoting the "DARE" program......I really don't see the big deal here, unless the left isn't really interested in protecting our kids......makes me sick to think thier political agenda comes first.....Geeezzzz......what's wrong with these people.

Heard this morning on the news that a pole taken says that this country is more divided now than since the Civil War......IMO, you can blame the POTUS for that.......NG.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    A single armed guard or policeman will not eliminate schools shootings, but can deter them or end it quicker than would be possible without someone on the inside. May also make the shooter think twice about their intended actions. Allowing school staff with CWPs to carry with extra training + an armed LEO to lead is the best scenario.
    mook012, nedrgr21 and Secret Spuk like this.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

I cant understand anyone thinking that an armed officer in a school will make no difference inn the case of a shooter/mass murderer. One officer can stop an armed intruder. He could probably stop a group of them. Of course there are bathroom breaks, and meal periods... How would any of that make any difference? The object here is to stop the shooting, not prevent it. I do agree that the average police officer is probably not up to the job. I suggest private security companies, with selected, Qualified, and trained, personel. Armed with specific weapons. As in aircraft the tactic is not to get into a protracted firefight. But to put down the subject or subjects with the minimal, and acurately directed shots possible.

I cant understand anyone thinking that an armed officer in a school will make no difference inn the case of a shooter/mass murderer. One officer can stop an armed intruder. He could probably stop a group of them. Of course there are bathroom breaks, and meal periods... How would any of that make any difference? The object here is to stop the shooting, not prevent it. I do agree that the average police officer is probably not up to the job. I suggest private security companies, with selected, Qualified, and trained, personel. Armed with specific weapons. As in aircraft the tactic is not to get into a protracted firefight. But to put down the subject or subjects with the minimal, and acurately directed shots possible.

The same or similar could be done with any soft target. Mall, Theater, or anywhere people gather.

Whether or not an armed officer can stop an attacker on his/her own is not the point. S/he can, at the very least, deter an attacker from attempting it altogether or resist the attack to give LEO's additional time to get there before additional innocent people are hurt. Best solution would still be multiple, armed teachers whose identity is unknown to anyone but the highest admins.
    Brad426 and msgt/ret like this.

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    Whether or not an armed officer can stop an attacker on his/her own is not the point. S/he can, at the very least, deter an attacker from attempting it altogether or resist the attack to give LEO's additional time to get there before additional innocent people are hurt. Best solution would still be multiple, armed teachers whose identity is unknown to anyone but the highest admins.
    This this this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links