Law Enforcement 'walk-though' of a School.

This is a discussion on Law Enforcement 'walk-though' of a School. within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Brad426 Yep, it was the third thing I noticed... Yep....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Law Enforcement 'walk-though' of a School.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Yep, it was the third thing I noticed...
    Yep.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    We've been doing walk through a for years. I try to do so at least once a week (doesn't always happen) for each of our schools.
    People are just now noticing.
    I'm sorry, did you say something? I was checking out the "stats" on the poster and wasn't listening.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I'm a high school principal, and am fortunate to have a close working relationship with our local LE officers. We don't have a school resource officer, but our local officers are frequently in my school. We are all on a first-name basis, and have each others' cell numbers. We talk emergency response and tactics, and cooperate on tabletop and lockdown drills. We exchange information as freely as we can without violating laws. It is a true partnership that isn't as common as it should be.

I used to do emergency response training for school administrators and teachers, and I always advocated that they invite LEOs and other responders into their school -- develop relationships with them before the emergency. From some administrators, I got some pushback on bringing police into schools -- educators and cops see the world differently, and some principals aren't comfortable around cops. Often the first few conversations between educators and cops are difficult, as it is a collision of cultures and paradigms. Like any partnership, it takes time to develop. (Of course, I'm not the most typical educator -- I tend to "click" with the LEO world due to my personality and background.)

I know that our officers and I have both been told by other school districts and departments that we have something that is unusual and envied by others. If more schools had the type of partnership that I have with my local cops, schools would be safer if only because of the exchange of information and joint planning/preparation.

CP Lincoln
    SIXTO, Blue Thunder and 64zebra like this.

VIP Member
    I've been saying that we (my department) should be doing not just walk throughs in all our schools, but doing actual air soft active shooter training in the schools during the summers when they aren't in session (could use our Simunitions gear, but then have to clean up the walls, etc lol)

all my comments/suggestions have fallen on deaf ears

I'm now typing up a list of recommendations to the school board as a parent and as a LEO, that covers many areas of security as well as training for teachers/staff, and concerning firearms being allowed and providing training.
    I'm willing to bet that most, if not all, of our firearms instructors, and a lot of us that are not officially instructors, would volunteer time on some saturdays to train teachers to handle an active shooter event. Heck, if some officers fire a gun for the first time in the academy, we can surely teach school staff to handle a firearms properly and protect our kids. We need to demand it.
    I'm sick of seeing our kids being sitting ducks.
    I'm going to my son's principle to discuss volunteering one day a week of my days off to be at the school. Thats one of the things I'm typing up in my proposal to the school board.
    Last edited by 64zebra; January 3rd, 2013 at 02:21 PM.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    To me, it sounds like some higher ups need hearing aids. The local PD was using empty houses to perform SWAT training, so why not use "high-level" targets like the empty local schools? Makes good sense to me.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links