LEOSA Carrying in NYC (do's and don'ts)

This is a discussion on LEOSA Carrying in NYC (do's and don'ts) within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hello, I have been working as a LEO for almost 5 years now and I am leaving for NYC in the morning for a couple ...

Thread: LEOSA Carrying in NYC (do's and don'ts)

LEOSA Carrying in NYC (do's and don'ts)

Hello, I have been working as a LEO for almost 5 years now and I am leaving for NYC in the morning for a couple days to see family. I was wondering if there is anything I need to know about carrying concealed in NYC. For example, another LEO informed me that NYC doesn't allow hollow point ammo, is this correct? My dept only allows us to carry our duty weapon off duty, which is a M&P 40c (with or without a full size mag with a grip extension) but per policy we are only allowed to carry our duty ammo in our weapon, which is Hollow point. is there any truth to this? anything else I need to do? I am planning on making a phone call tomorrow to NYPD to get my facts strait, but in the meantime any thoughts would be helpful.

2. Remove Ads

As far as NYC, I Don't know much about it & Don't care too,,, Good luck, As long as you have a badge & the credentials to go with it,,, Ya should be fine JMO ; )

H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Yeah that was what i thought until one of our aux. deputies told me he had a friend that had some problems in NYC. Ive carryed in several other states without problems, but mostly down south and out west. (florida, SC, NV, West VA, NC, VA, and Maryland) I usually trade patches whenever I go out of town so I do stop and talk to the local LEOs.

Distinguished Member
    Per the LEOSA amendment in 2010 JHP ammo is fine anywhere in the states, it is NJ that bans it for it's residents.

As far as carrying, you should not have a problem these days, I've heard some horror stories in the past but not any recently. Many of the old timers will scold you if you aren't carrying. Some places may not let you in if you are carrying so you may need to have a plan B to secure it, you however maybe able to skirt that if you tin an NYPD officer posted where you are. I'm thinking the ESB might not let you up while carrying.

If you aren't going to be hitting any tourist spots and sticking to normal things it should never be discovered. Concealed is concealed.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

I've never had an issue in Manhattan. Some venues won't allow them, but usually you can secure at precincts.This is a hassle because of their location. I don't recall seeing "No Carry" signs anywhere, so I just go on like normal. If something is posted, there is screening or I need to question whether I can carry I just find NYPD who are always around the main tourist venues and they are accomodating.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

so the NYPD in general are pretty helpful?

The only NYPD I have dealt with was when I was doing Intel work. They were great guys.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Retired NYPD here;

There should be no problem carrying under the federal law. Being that this is NYC, and is ruled by "KING BLOOMBERG" you may very well get hasseled. In NY all things are political... there was a time when LEEOSA wasnt recognized by NYC, While a few law suits have corrected the issue. However with over 32,000 sworn officers it's possible some may not have gotten the memo.

My advice is t keep it really concieled, avoid the grungier parts of town, stay out of court houses, and official buldings with it. Many places in NY have hidden metal detectors.

I carry under LEEOSA when I go back for visits. Never had a problem.

Links