leo's on here would you confiscate weapons? - Page 2

leo's on here would you confiscate weapons?

This is a discussion on leo's on here would you confiscate weapons? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; First off, there isn't going to be any gun confiscation. The POTUS can't use executive orders to accomplish this, and any such law would never ...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree170Likes

Thread: leo's on here would you confiscate weapons?

First off, there isn't going to be any gun confiscation. The POTUS can't use executive orders to accomplish this, and any such law would never pass the Congress of the United States. Some kind of silly feel good high cap magazine ban maybe, or a ban on imported "assault rifles" but that is a LONG way from a confiscation program.

There aren't enough law enforcement officers on the payroll to start, much less finish confiscating all the guns that are out there, particularly when people start to resist or obstruct their efforts. After the first few tries, a full blown SWAT team or tactical team would have to be employed for each "raid", which would mean very few operations, like maybe two or three a day Max per department.

Like people everywhere, you'll have some cops that would go along with their orders rather than jeopardize their employment, and others that will quit rather that follow the orders. I know some of both types I believe.

I don't think we'll ever find out though, because it's just not going to come to that.
    Hopyard likes this.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Wow this could be a loaded question. Pun intended. lol Be safe and carry on.

NRA: The Untold Story of Gun Confiscation After Katrina - YouTube
    Katrina proves otherwise. Yes, I believe there will be some sort of confiscation.
    bombthrower77 and RoadKill like this.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    I don't get a warm fuzzy feeling when I read the replies that LEO's, may or may not depending on certain what if's, carry out an order to confiscate our weapons. The comments make me think back to the actions at Ruby Ridge, the Occupy Wall Street movement, and Kent State to name a few. My major concern is if a SWAT is ordered to invade a persons house on a no knock warrant to confiscate weapons and it goes down badly for the person(s) within the house it could ignite a firestorm of protests. Worse case scenario would be and invasion at the wrong address and the killing of the occupants which has happened all to often of late.

The continued attacks on our rights by the present administration have caused a rise in questions regarding the need for local police departments to dress as do our combat troops, the need for armored riot vehicles, and the purchase of billions of rounds of JHP ammunition. The common reply by the White House and local authorities "in case of a terrorist attack" no longer flies, and the majority of Americans are now beginning to see the real "Change" as promised by Obama.
    I challenge each of you to read the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA)
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by violinjim View Post
    NRA: The Untold Story of Gun Confiscation After Katrina - YouTube
    Katrina proves otherwise. Yes, I believe there will be some sort of confiscation.
    I worked with the Department of Homeland Security (DHS/ICE/Investigations) in New Orleans when Katrina struck. Myself and hundreds of other ICE Special Agents acted as the POLICE in two precincts, from two days after the storm, until the third week of December 2005.

Yes some guns were confiscated by local law enforcement authorities that shouldn't have been. Those agencies have since apologized, and I believe compensated the victims of these illegal seizures. I know, it doesn't make it right. We took a few guns off the streets during that timeframe as well, but those weapons were on the persons of people breaking the law (looters & burglars).

I guess my reason for replying was to counter the misimpression that there was widespread gun confiscation along the affected area. Just isn't true.
    Hopyard and 64zebra like this.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Senior Member Array rugergunner's Avatar
    Well, if I were a LEO, I would really give serious thought to an order like that. They cannot be around their families and loved ones all the time, and they are not Terminators themselves and bleed red blood just like the rest of us, so this would make me worry about reprisals from the hundreds of thousands I would be helping to oppress.
    I would rather die on my feet, than to live on my knees.

I wouldn't do it and yes I am a LEO. If I lost my job over following a UNLAWFUL order (unless they repeal the 2nd Amendment) I would not have to worry about paying bills after the unlawful termination suit I would file.

Senior Moderator
    I cant speak for others, but this one wont.

And honestly, I dont know of any that will. And for those that say it will never happen here...we HAVE talked about it.

Many people here on this board would freak out if they knew what was being discussed.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Member Array rugergunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rstrainii View Post
    I wouldn't do it and yes I am a LEO. If I lost my job over following a UNLAWFUL order (unless they repeal the 2nd Amendment) I would not have to worry about paying bills after the unlawful termination suit I would file.
    Good Lord I hope not, otherwise they had better issue you guys on the police force a Swastika armband to go with your uniforms. It would be like living in Nazi Germany then.
    I would rather die on my feet, than to live on my knees.

Quote Originally Posted by KBSR View Post
    I worked with the Department of Homeland Security (DHS/ICE/Investigations) in New Orleans when Katrina struck. Myself and hundreds of other ICE Special Agents acted as the POLICE in two precincts, from two days after the storm, until the third week of December 2005.

Yes some guns were confiscated by local law enforcement authorities that shouldn't have been. Those agencies have since apologized, and I believe compensated the victims of these illegal seizures. I know, it doesn't make it right. We took a few guns off the streets during that timeframe as well, but those weapons were on the persons of people breaking the law (looters & burglars).

I guess my reason for replying was to counter the misimpression that there was widespread gun confiscation along the affected area. Just isn't true.
    Did you personally take weapons away from law abiding citizens? I've seen that law abiding citizens had their firearms taken.
    oneshot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I cant speak for others, but this one wont.

And honestly, I dont know of any that will. And for those that say it will never happen here...we HAVE talked about it.

Many people here on this board would freak out if they knew what was being discussed.

I'm thinking if this did ever take place, that law enforcement and the military would sweep in as fast as they could. They would try to use as much trickery as they could. They would knock on your door with a smile on their face then swarm the house. Am I close to what you guys talked about?

Quote Originally Posted by harrymut View Post
    Did you personally take weapons away from law abiding citizens? I've seen that law abiding citizens had their firearms taken.
    No Sir. Law abiding citizens don't need their weapons taken away. I said that "we" meaning agents that worked for me, took guns off the streets, mainly from looters and/or burglars.

As I said in my reply, there were some weapons taken from people that shouldn't have, by a couple of the local law enforcement agencies, and have since acknowledged that they were wrong in doing that. There wasn't any mass confiscation, as some would have you believe.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KBSR View Post

Please to provide a source where it states, only from people breaking the law, because that statement is contradicted by the videos of police officers and the military personnel going door to door and taking weapons.

If that were the case, as you stated, the mayor and the police chief would have won the suit brought against them by the NRA to stop confiscating legal weapons, but they did not, the NRA won.
    oneshot likes this.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    Retired now...

My Opinion... NO. Police do not always do what they are told to do. Police Officers do not have to obey an illegal order.
    But--hypothetically--the law now says firearm possession is illegal. What now, in response to the bolded text?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Moderator
    They would try to use as much trickery as they could. They would knock on your door with a smile on their face then swarm the house. Am I close to what you guys talked about?
    Not even close.

We are under no compulsion to enforce federal law..escpecially those that might be in question due to improper procedure or laws that violate the Constitution. Any force that does might be seen as a hostile force, by local Law Enforcement.

Now, consider that by law, here in Arkansas, the numbers of police are limited to 1 per 1000 citizens. For instance, the Sheriff Dept here has 30 full time armed officers and 20 armed Reserves. The population of this county is 56,000.

Now seriously, in an area where people that DON'T own guns are in the minority, how long would cops last if they were stupid enough to go house to house and confiscate guns?

For the sake of discussion, lets say that all 50 of the Sheriffs Deputy's decided to "do what they were told" because they were too dumb to know otherwise.

Could 50 armed people take guns from everyone in the county that had them? And if they did get into sporadic shootouts, even if they were very good at what they did, how long could they continue before they themselves started getting attacked? I'd be willing to be that they wouldn't last through the week.

Its not as easy taking guns as the gun banners would have you believe. They use fear tactics...and they stupidly assume that they have the man power on their side to do it.

I don't believe it for a second.
    10thmtn, airslot, Cook74 and 7 others like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links