leo's on here would you confiscate weapons?

This is a discussion on leo's on here would you confiscate weapons? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by HotGuns I cant speak for others, but this one wont. And honestly, I dont know of any that will. And for those ...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree170Likes

Thread: leo's on here would you confiscate weapons?

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I cant speak for others, but this one wont.

And honestly, I dont know of any that will. And for those that say it will never happen here...we HAVE talked about it.

Many people here on this board would freak out if they knew what was being discussed.

Don't stop on that note, share some bullet points.
    My EDC G27 gen. 4
    Favorite range gun G23 gen. 3

NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

I believe the LEOs on the Forum (or anywhere else in the Country) won't comment on it. In reality, it's their choice, but I believe they wouldn't do something against their core beliefs as Americans.
    OldVet and 64zebra like this.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

I swore an oath to uphold and defend the Constitution. Seems like an easy choice to me.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Easy choice for me. If it came to that, things have gotten to crazy, and I'm at home with mamma loading mags, making chilli, and starting to smoke again.
    Then I'm going to have a few glasses of my Hiabiscus wine, get a little lovin in, and saddle up the horses and take a ride.

I swear to gosh, I think some of you all need to relax a little round here. Enjoy life and love on your spouses, or take a vacation.
    This is just one of those things to watch, do what you can do, and plan as you can.

When it's time to fight, you fight, until then, have a smoke, a good glass of something, and chase your woman around the room a few times.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckusaret View Post
    Please to provide a source where it states, only from people breaking the law, because that statement is contradicted by the videos of police officers and the military personnel going door to door and taking weapons.

If that were the case, as you stated, the mayor and the police chief would have won the suit brought against them by the NRA to stop confiscating legal weapons, but they did not, the NRA won.
    Please read both of my replies carefully. I'm not saying that weapons weren't illegally confiscated, they were. By some local departments, and yes the NRA won.

What I was attempting to point out was that this wasn't widespread/citywide gun confiscation, and that the only guns my guys took off the streets, were in the hand of bad guys, committing crimes. Agents working for me were not asked to, and did not participate in any gun confiscation efforts. We had tactical teams in the city, working with NOPD SWAT, and other federal agencies, chasing the "snipers" out of their hidey holes. Those "snipers" as they were referred to by the national media were really "pot shot artists" who would fire a round or two towards a rescue crew or helicopter, then bug out. Our teams responded to all of those calls, and sometimes found the gun(s) that were used.

I'm not disputing the video's, or the fact that some guns were taken from some people that shouldn't have. Just pointing out that there is more to this story, from the perspective of someone that lived it.
    Hopyard and 64zebra like this.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

I'm not a LEO, but I know many. I also know many active duty .mil's.
    I have asked each and every one of them this very question over the past few months and the overwhelming response is "no way".
    I was suggested that some of the newbs on the force and in the service would blindly follow any given order, but anyone who understood their job would simply NOT violate their oath to uphold the Constitution. Most responses also included an understanding that such an action, however unlikely, might yield some results for a few days at most before the word of confiscations spread, after which there would be a significant reduction of participant life expectancy.... their words, not mine.
    Thompsonian likes this.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

I am not a LEO but if push came to shove I would probably do a really horrible job at searching houses.

Why would you put the fine LEOs on this forum in this sort of quicksand? I've enjoyed their comments & gun-fellowship for wayyy tooo many years around here to ask them to publicly announce their willingness to ignore the law without FIRST making your own position clear as to whether YOU'RE willing to ignore the law (if it comes to that) to FORCE your local LE organizations to...come after YOUR guns!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Easy choice for me. If it came to that, things have gotten to crazy, and I'm at home with mamma loading mags, making chilli, and starting to smoke again.
    Then I'm going to have a few glasses of my Hiabiscus wine, get a little lovin in, and saddle up the horses and take a ride.

I swear to gosh, I think some of you all need to relax a little round here. Enjoy life and love on your spouses, or take a vacation.
    This is just one of those things to watch, do what you can do, and plan as you can.

When it's time to fight, you fight, until then, have a smoke, a good glass of something, and chase your woman around the room a few times.
    I'll pass on the smokes (I quit a long time ago)...other than that, this is the best advice I've seen on these boards in a long time...
    danwdooley and mano3 like this.
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by KBSR View Post
    Please read both of my replies carefully. I'm not saying that weapons weren't illegally confiscated, they were. By some local departments, and yes the NRA won.

What I was attempting to point out was that this wasn't widespread/citywide gun confiscation, and that the only guns my guys took off the streets, were in the hand of bad guys, committing crimes. Agents working for me were not asked to, and did not participate in any gun confiscation efforts. We had tactical teams in the city, working with NOPD SWAT, and other federal agencies, chasing the "snipers" out of their hidey holes. Those "snipers" as they were referred to by the national media were really "pot shot artists" who would fire a round or two towards a rescue crew or helicopter, then bug out. Our teams responded to all of those calls, and sometimes found the gun(s) that were used.

I'm not disputing the video's, or the fact that some guns were taken from some people that shouldn't have. Just pointing out that there is more to this story, from the perspective of someone that lived it.
    Thanks for the info, do you know what reason was giving to justify taking weapons from decent people? (I know you and your crew didn't, but maybe you know the answer to my question)

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    None of the LEOs I know would follow the order to take away our guns. Going to a gun owners house as ordered is one thing. But, most of the officers I know will not be able to find anything.

"We went in and searched sir. However, we didn't "find" anything to be concerned about. It seems the firearms were already removed."

-
    danwdooley, BlueHawk76 and mano3 like this.

Way too much speculation and opinion here without factual information to back up claims.

LEO's take an oath to uphold the state and U.S. Constitutions. Confiscation without cause would be a 4th Amendment Violation, unlawful search and seizure. (probable cause may be the slippery slope in exigent circumstances)

Our Department General Orders forbid us from violating the law even if told to do so be a superior.

As a (retired) LEO, I swore to uphold the Constitution and would never violate your rights, period. Some of the youngsters might, out of ignorance.

Cheers,

John
    Last edited by jjfitch; January 13th, 2013 at 10:57 PM. Reason: clarity
    SIG_guy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    So that's how it would be done at first. Random road blocks. License checks. "Probable cause" to search vehicles of those with permits.

Where there's a will theres a way.
    A lot of that went on after Katrina. Besides house to house, a lot was done at roadblocks.
    atctimmy likes this.

"I was only following orders". Nazi war crimes trials...............

Quote Originally Posted by KBSR View Post
    While I appreciate the job that you and your team did, as my parents were there, to say that "some guns" were taken from "some people" is very insulting and minimizes the gross injustices that law abiding people suffered by multiple law enforcement agencies. Maybe you should educate yourself by watching these accounts of what happened.

atctimmy likes this.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links