Women Officially in Combat Roles

This is a discussion on Women Officially in Combat Roles within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This female Marine captain is against it based on her own discovery of her limitations. Women do not belong in combat. Female Marine Tells Fox ...

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree144Likes

Thread: Women Officially in Combat Roles

This female Marine captain is against it based on her own discovery of her limitations. Women do not belong in combat.

Female Marine Tells Fox & Friends That Women Should Not Serve In Combat Role In Military | Mediaite

2. Remove Ads

This is an example of political correctness run amuck! Let these brave women give it a shot and they will soon learn that they are not cut out for the job...Hopefully they don't lose their lives in the process. I'm in no way sexist but this is going too far!
    Kimberpackn likes this.

Women Officially in Combat Roles

Just heard on the news tonight that the DoD will officially change the rules to allow women into the combat arms. Some specialized units will still have discretion about this.

I've been in combat units that were all male, and in combat service and support units that were mixed gender. My personal observation is that the men in mixed gender units tend to suffer in terms of physical fitness. The women simply cannot keep up on things like unit runs and marches, and tend to fall behind. The men, being men, slow down to help them out. This causes their own fitness level to suffer.

I witnessed numerous instances of women shedding their rucksacks, helmets, and weapon while on 12 mile marches. This meant that some of the men were forced to carry their own gear, AND the gear of the women.

I would love to see a female soldier trying to load 120mm tank main gun rounds into the breech of an M1 Abrams' cannon. They weigh well over 50 lbs each, and the desired rate of fire in a tank engagement is one round every few seconds. I just don't see it.

I'm sure that there are women out there that can whoop my butt, but those are the exception and not the rule. I'm just tired of politically correct generals putting the lives of their soldiers in jeapoardy so they can keep climbing up the career ladder.

The justification was that "women have proven themselves during the last 12 years of war" where there were no front lines, and that they were, in effect, already serving in combat. In my experience, if you dig a little deeper, you will find that the men were doing more than their fair share, to make up for the physical differences between the men and the women - differences which really should need no explanation.

Insane.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Its a mistake. I believe there are women who could do the job. I just think there are too many men whou wouldn't be able to function properly in a combat situation with women next to them.

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    Boy George makes a more believable Seal that Charlie Sheen!!
    Spirit51 likes this.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

we are 23 days into the new year and I have heard nothing but awful news from D.C and this just puts the icing on the cake.

People think the military has a sexual assault problem now, the numbers will sore. Don't take that as saying that they are bad guys, but as a 0311/31 myself I know very well that when they get time off (which is rare) they let loose. Bad things happen when a bunch of black out drunk testosterone filled men party at the barracks without females present. Putting them there is just is a bad idea.

Women also can't handle that sort of life style. We are physically and biologically different for a reason. Women have a different physical qualification test for a reason. How many of my brothers are going to die because some women can't firemen carry them to safety. I weighed 230 without my gear. over 300 with (and I wasn't even carrying my ammo yet (which would be about 35-42 lbs. itself (7 lb. drums))) and grown men who could bench over 400lbs had trouble toting me around over 300 meters.

This gender equality thing needs to go. This applies to civilian life IMO. female firefighters specifically. I'm currently 250 and would like to find a women that would be able to carry me down 5 floors. From my understanding they also have an easier test then the male firefighters. How many lives may have been lost because of this?

My personal experience with women I have met in the military supports my opinion.
    Cold Shot and Kimberpackn like this.

This subject is already running on a thread.

I agree. I think gender mixed combat teams are not a good idea.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

VIP Member
    I'm all for women in our armed forces, because we have as much reason to put our lives on the line for our families and country like the menfolk. The women, however, need to meet the current physical requirements. I am completely against watering down requirements for political correctness. If anyone can't do the miles and carry the load, then that person - man or woman - should not be accepted. Watering down the rules to allow weaker people in does no one a service. It will, however, make our military weaker. There's plenty of other honorable positions in the military where that person can be utilized.

People think the military has a sexual assault problem now, the numbers will soar.
    And that's not even getting into what could happen to an American female soldier in enemy hands, especially an enemy that hates their own women so much they stone them to death for showing an ankle. *shiver*
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Quote Originally Posted by 031131 View Post
    we are 23 days into the new year and I have heard nothing but awful news from D.C and this just puts the icing on the cake.

People think the military has a sexual assault problem now, the numbers will sore. Don't take that as saying that they are bad guys, but as a 0311/31 myself I know very well that when they get time off (which is rare) they let loose. Bad things happen when a bunch of black out drunk testosterone filled men party at the barracks without females present. Putting them there is just is a bad idea.

Women also can't handle that sort of life style. We are physically and biologically different for a reason. Women have a different physical qualification test for a reason. How many of my brothers are going to die because some women can't firemen carry them to safety. I weighed 230 without my gear. over 300 with (and I wasn't even carrying my ammo yet (which would be about 35-42 lbs. itself (7 lb. drums))) and grown men who could bench over 400lbs had trouble toting me around over 300 meters.

This gender equality thing needs to go. This applies to civilian life IMO. female firefighters specifically. I'm currently 250 and would like to find a women that would be able to carry me down 5 floors. From my understanding they also have an easier test then the male firefighters. How many lives may have been lost because of this?

My personal experience with women I have met in the military supports my opinion.
    I was a Firefighter/Paramedic for 15 years on a metro department and I carried my share of heavy weights down stairs...up hills and a variety of difficult incidents. There were MEN who couldn't "hack" it when women did. Don't be so quick to judge women in the Fire Service. Some of the best LEOs I have seen are women. I just don't think in combat it is a good idea....not gender mixed. Now if they want to have all female specialty teams....that might work. If you don't think so...you don't know many women. In many cases I would rather deal with a combative man than a combative woman. Woman can be "wicked".
    Foxy likes this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Wait 'till the Taliban get hold of our women....................Whoa.
    Spade115 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Even my wife, who is a former Air Force Officer, is against women in combat for all the above reasons and many more.
    Jeanlouise likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I have mixed emotions both ways on this subject. I spent 5 yrs in the Navy as a SeaBee. After 30 yrs back in civilian life, I am still in construction. I work with women in this industry all the time. I see women doing the jobs of men and many times, much more deliberate with less hassle. Men on my jobs dont mess with them, they respect their abilities and are willing to work right along side just like the rest of the guys. Both men and women on my jobs help each other to get a specific job done without really caring about their sex. The women I know in construction are suited for the job. They can be just as rough and tough as many of the guys, somtimes more. Construction is hard work depending on your trade.

My wife grew up on a farm. She threw hay, milked cows, drove tractors, combined corn and made lunch and dinner. She worked along side of her brothers day in and day out. Her brothers continue to respect her for her ability to get dirty and do whatever it takes to finish a job. If the tractor was stuck, she would go to the shop, get chains, handyman jacks and anything else she needed to get that tractor out of the mud. She accomplished goals that she had set her mind to accomplish. My wife carries a gun, she has made the mental committment to pull the trigger if absolutely necessary.

The point of my post is, I believe that women are just as capable as men at certain things but it may be dependent on the woman and crew. I understand that women may not have that upper body strength that a man may have but I also know men who couldnt fight their way out of a wet paper bag yet they joined the armed service. I served with many of them. Personally, I think some women would make great soldiers. My wife would have been one of them.

If the military would implement some type of evaluation on a case by case basis, I believe there are women in this world who can perform as a man can. Obviously, the men in the crew would also need to be re-configured to accept the reality that the women in their crew are no different and can perform equally. Yes there will be times that a woman is injured in combat and a man may break down or risk his or his crews life to save the woman. He will do the same thing to save a man in his crew. We hear about hero's all the time.

I believe there is a place for women in the military. They may be suited for support roles or they may be better suited for combat. I think the choice really lies with the woman who feels "she can be all that she can be".

It's America, we all deserve the right to choose. IMHO
    Foxy likes this.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

I've always believed in equality. Regardless of gender, the rules & requirements should be the same. Specifically: the physical fitness test. Either you can or you can't.
    Spirit51, Xader and Foxy like this.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Wait...they let women in the military?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links