Women Officially in Combat Roles - Page 3

Women Officially in Combat Roles

This is a discussion on Women Officially in Combat Roles within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I think the Israelis have been "coed" in their military for some time. It seems to work for them. I have no military experience, so ...

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree144Likes

Thread: Women Officially in Combat Roles

Distinguished Member
    I think the Israelis have been "coed" in their military for some time. It seems to work for them. I have no military experience, so I can only offer my idea. Give them a chance. The navy already has women in subs and combat aircraft. I realize this not the same as front-line combat. Let each of us be judged on our own actions. Basic training weeds out lots of men too.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

On a volunteer basis, with all female squads, I could see it IF the women meet the same physical standards as the male counterparts. Women have served in front line units in armies around the world. But making physical tests, gender-specific, and lessening the standard, I don't agree with.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    I'm all for women in our armed forces, because we have as much reason to put our lives on the line for our families and country like the menfolk. The women, however, need to meet the current physical requirements. I am completely against watering down requirements for political correctness. If anyone can't do the miles and carry the load, then that person - man or woman - should not be accepted. Watering down the rules to allow weaker people in does no one a service. It will, however, make our military weaker. There's plenty of other honorable positions in the military where that person can be utilized.
    And that's not even getting into what could happen to an American female soldier in enemy hands, especially an enemy that hates their own women so much they stone them to death for showing an ankle. *shiver*
    Excellent post. I totally agree.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

If they want to fight, let them. Gender should not disqualify someone from realizing their dreams.
    (4) Springfield Armory XD-40 Sub Compact
    (1) Ruger LC9
    NRA Member

"Molon labe" "From my cold dead hands"

Administrator
    I think some females could easily hump a 70 LB pack.

Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member

Women Have Been Serving In Combat Roles For Years.

Just ask any married man.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    Just ask any married man.
    LOL
    QKShooter likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Oh I wished I had'nt watched that video this close to bedtime ... I'll have nightmares now.
    QKShooter likes this.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

A few 25 mile forced marches in under 8 hours with full combat load carry crew served weapons will quickly settle the matter.
    10thmtn, rolyat63 and DPro.40 like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post

Question that I would have with regards to anyone, male or female, who looks like that, is their muscular endurance level and functional strength. There was a guy who kept trying out for my high school wrestling team who was a bodybuilder, he could do three pushups to everyone's else one, but he couldn't do a situp to save his life. He always ended up quitting because he never made varsity. IIRC, he was 5'4" or 5'5", about 150 lbs, 3-4% bodyfat. I think a woman who is a crossfitter, would be better in combat arms than a bodybuilder. Had to go to my desktop to see the video, Ipad doesn't show it.
    Jeanlouise and QKShooter like this.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

This isn't my fight anymore. Oh well. This is just the result of beaurocrat objectives. Face it. It's the beginning of the end of our countries dignity

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I'll weigh in on this. I was a shift chief in aircraft maintenance went the first women entered the maintenance fields. First we were told we'd have to clean up our acts and language. That didn't happen. We treated our first "lady" like one of the guys. She appreciated that. She said it was easier to be one of the guys than the only girl in the shop.

Some women worked out well, some didn't--just like the guys. What those "above" failed to realize was that, although the ladies were more than capable of understanding electronic circuitry, testing procedures, and maintenance procedures, no one thought to teach them what a #2 Phillips screwdriver or a six inch socket extension was. Every guy knows that--women didn't. But they learned. Some of my better maintenance troops were women, but it took time for them to reach that point in the field. They learned to get dirty just like the guys.

But for me, the thought of picking up pieces of a guy is near horror. Picking up pieces of a woman is unthinkable. But the only way to settle the dispute of whether women can handle frontline combat is to let them. They come to their own decision then.
    Doghandler and Lish like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    I spent 24 years in the military and through out the years had many women under my command in peace time, but never in a combat environment. IMHO, based on my combat experience, the average female could not withstand the horrors of a ground engagement against an enemy force. Many men, better men than me, that I knew well crumbled during an engagement or from seeing the aftermath of the engagement and still suffer from the memories. I have served with some pretty tough women, but none that I believe could survive as grunt in a combat environment. There are many many critical support jobs that are more suitable for women then the combat arms.

How many remember WAC.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Some WWII Russian Vets might disagree with you on that.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    I have no problem with women mechanics, women pilots, women snipers, women intel officers etc. It's the front line combat soldier position I think is crazy.
    I admire women for wanting to do it, but I don't think they should do it.

Do you want your son or grandson to be on the front line with a woman who's there to "prove" herself?

Again, women don't have that kind of strength. It's a biological fact and to ignore that is dangerous for everyone.

The one exception is QK's video girlfriend.
    QKShooter and Spirit51 like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links