Women Officially in Combat Roles

This is a discussion on Women Officially in Combat Roles within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have served along side many women and I dont have a problem with them being in the military. My problem is this..... First, Hygiene....Men ...

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree144Likes

Thread: Women Officially in Combat Roles

I have served along side many women and I dont have a problem with them being in the military. My problem is this.....

First, Hygiene....Men can easily stay in the field a month without showering or anything. Yea we may stink, yea we may not be attractive, but it all comes with the job. Women on the other hand could become very ill very fast from being dirty. UTI's are more common in combat with women. We had a ton more of them than men. (even had 1 myself) Also women have periods as we all know and Toxic shock syndrome is a very really issue and honestly a women having a period during these times is not the safest thing.

Second, I was artillery and during training i would hop on the gun line to load some rounds and 155mm rounds loading 10 of those at high angle sucks severely and im in good shape and couldnt ever load 10 quickly, i was smoked.

Third, I honestly cant imagine "most" women carrying a 240B with a 200 round drum with additional 4 drums plus everything else your looking at 150+ lbs. I carried a 249saw and seriously hated it. 1000 Rounds of 7.62 for a 240B isnt a joke. I bet there is some women who could do it without a problem. But you cant "try" it and then quit cause its to much.

Fourth, Men are men and no matter what many think sexual interaction does happen. Women do get pregnant and honestly that takes someone out of the fight because they chose to screw up. It also takes the man out of the fight also cause he screwed up.

All around i think its a bad idea. Some combat roles i am not against women doing.
    Spirit51 and Betty like this.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Sorry JeanLouise...but, I have never dated any woman that could beat me in arm wrestling.

I could just see myself being married to Jacqueline Fuchs (pronounced Fooks BTW) "Hey Sweetie...could you carry that new refrigerator up to the 3rd floor kitchen for me when you get a chance."
    Jeanlouise and Betty like this.

"We can't let black people serve alongside good white folk, they're inferior and unit cohesion and morale and rabble rabble rabble!"
    "We can't let gays serve openly, the uh, showers, and unit cohesion and morale and rabble rabble rabble!"
    "We can't let women serve alongside men....."

I'm always amazed at how people who claim to support our military have such a low opinion of its ability to adapt, despite it doing so over and over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by torgo1968 View Post
    "We can't let black people serve alongside good white folk, they're inferior and unit cohesion and morale and rabble rabble rabble!"
    "We can't let gays serve openly, the uh, showers, and unit cohesion and morale and rabble rabble rabble!"

I'm always amazed at how people who claim to support our military have such a low opinion of its ability to adapt, despite it doing so over and over and over.
    Honestly women can serve and i think they do alot of jobs better than men and vice versa.
    goldshellback likes this.

Yeah, I don't think you can compare the two...
    Living a life free from fear, means being able to protect it at all times.
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
    NRA

The one exception is QK's video girlfriend.
    Why are ya'll so sure that's a girl?
    Jeanlouise and goldshellback like this.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Why are ya'll so sure that's a girl?
    Aw that's it ... now I wont sleep for a week!
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

VIP Member

Not one of those things has anything to do with strength. No one is saying women can't serve in the Military. The issue is front line combat.

My daughter was in the ANG and deployed to the UAE in 2003 as part of Security Forces. So I understand women in the military.

If you want to ignore the law of Unintended Consequences that's ok with me.
    Spirit51 and Betty like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Well, the bad thing about this it that many women asked for this role..... and some with good reason. I retired exactly one month after the first women steped foot on our submarine. Not specifically a combat/front-line role, but very challenging in it's own right. I didn't retire 'because' of a woman checking onboard, but it was ironic that I,as one of the last remaining 'cold war' experienced sailors, departed, a woman who has never known any president before Bush,Sr. and the 9/11 attacks were something on TV during grade school entered the previous 'mens-world' of Naval Undersea warfare.

I don't agree with women in either role but it is happening, and they are doing the job. I've served with, and see nearly every day here, women serving in other countries armed services doing the job. I don't like it much but it isn't my business either. The military I joined back-when isn't what it is today....... some it it for the better, some of it not-so-much. (Heck, some of the 'stuff' I did 'back-then', and got got nothing more that a VERY verbal lashing for, would see me court martialed today).

I definatly agree with JL's statement, this isn't the place for a social experiment, but that's the direction this country, administration, and our military is going.
    Jeanlouise and Spirit51 like this.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Combat female. Apparently none of you have met my ex wife. The mouth alone would send the Taliban running for cover

I won't tell my daughter she can't do anything she wants.
    Foxy likes this.
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

Women Officially in Combat Roles

I believe there's plenty of historical precedent and modern militaries who are not segregated.

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mbguy29577 View Post
    If they want to fight, let them. Gender should not disqualify someone from realizing their dreams.
    Gender, no...physical ability, yes.
    Jeanlouise, Betty and Spirit51 like this.

Using the finest military in the world, as a grounds for social experiment, sickens me. The people making these decisions have never served, and they brow beat their subordinate military leaders into "going along to get along", which is shameful.

There are many females that are capable combatants, in the right roles. Creating policy that says all will be treated equally, when they can not physically do the job, is a huge mistake, IMHO.

Comparing women in law enforcement to women in combat is comparing apples and oranges, as has already been pointed out on this thread. I've worked with many competent women in law enforcement, as well as incompetent men and women. Usually the difference is even if a woman wants to do the job, and has the best intentions, she may not be physically strong enough, whereas usually the incompetent men just don't have the proper attitude and mind set.

It's just another mistake, when actions are taken for political purposes, to play to their base. IMHO we'll be worse off for it.
    Jeanlouise and Spirit51 like this.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Just a few things that haven't been brought up:

There are obviously extremely capable female athletes that can do amazing things, and the mental toughness of women is in many ways superior to a man's. So there are a few women out there who can do this sort of thing. The problem is that women may be sought out to meet quota's, and thus detracting from efficiency. But hey, this happens in every other aspect of American culture, so why not add the military

Say you find a great female candidate and start putting her through these infantry or special forces school houses. She may be able to run faster than some guys, she may even be able to hump (or rather, hike) better than some guys...in the beginning. But after time, I think there would be literally a structural breakdown of some of these extremely fit and determined women. Starting at the hips and working down, things are going to start getting injured when exposed to 100 lbs or greater loads over days/weeks/months at a time. Female hips were designed to give birth, not hike up mountains. If you look at most female world class athletes of any sort, they have narrower hips than most women, but it's still structurally different than a man's hips.

It may not be the most pertinent argument, but it's just a thought. Stay classy, DC.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Links