Defensive Carry banner

Women Officially in Combat Roles

9K views 128 replies 59 participants last post by  suntzu 
#1 ·
Women now going into combat positions in the military

I can't tell you how much I am against this! The military is not the place for social experiments and it's placing our country in jeopardy.

No matter how many push-ups, sits ups and planking, women will never have the upper body strength of males. That's just the way it is and to deny it is absurd.

There are plenty of important and valuable jobs in the military for women but the front lines isn't one of them! :hand1:

#4 ·
I don't agree either. It's a mans natural instinct to protect a woman, and this will lead to big problems.

Additionally, if they lower the fitness standard, which there already is two separate physical standards, then we will be in trouble on the battle field.

And furthermore, I do not think this country is prepared to see it's daughters, mothers, and wives return in Goverment caskets.

#9 ·
And furthermore, I do not think this country is prepared to see it's daughters, mothers, and wives return in Goverment caskets.
I am not sure how you missed it, but this country has already seen woman military return in caskets.

Reactions: Regoria75 and 3wggl
#5 ·
I can't tell you how much I am against this! The military is not the place for social experiments and it's placing our country in jeopardy.

No matter how many push-ups, sits ups and planking, women will never have the upper body strength of males. That's just the way it is and to deny it is absurd.

There are plenty of important and valuable jobs in the military for women but the front lines isn't one of them! :hand1:
Agreed! Plain and simple there is just no way that this is a fit!!

#6 ·
i agree this is a bad idea, but, there is no draft and the women sign up for this.so I guess its their choice to make.

#11 ·
...women were made to give life, not take it...(in spite of what my Mom said: "I brought you into this life, and I CAN take you out!:)
...when they told me they were giving me a female officer to train...I told them I'd turn in my badge first...and they finally believed me...many cases where the female officer just couldn't believe the BG was going to do something and waited just long enough to get the male officer hurt/killed...I hold women in the highest regard, appreciate all that they go through to give us children, know that their intelligence and maturity and capabilities in a lot of areas FAR exceed mine...but to put them out there stopping evil...NO...it's not a matter of" less than"...it's a matter of "different than"...there are many roles in military and LEO work that women fill with excellence...but toe-to-toe combat is not one of them...

#13 ·
My thing is I could not care less about it. My deal with it is that the military brass say they are doing this to be fair. If fairness is the issue then why are the military physical fitness requirements different for men and women among all branches?

Army Physical Fitness Test (APFT)

Reactions: Spirit51
#15 ·
Having been one of the first women on a metro paid Fire Department in the early 70s, women can do many things. Of course we were more Paramedic than Firefighter, but still had to do the training and be able to fill that job. I have gone into a burning building and retrieve a down Firefighter on several occasions and "manned" a hose line and taken equipment to the "Pumper crew" and repelled with a patient down the side of a building, but was mainly a Paramedic. As I like to say, "I was a Firefighter/Paramedic for 15 years....light on the Firefighter....heavy on the Paramedic. This being said...

I do believe that women in combat along side men is NOT a good idea. Of course if you have a squad of women alone...that might work. Some women can be very aggressive and combative, but along side of men it would make the men feel like they had to "protect" the women as women and not as fellow squad members. Is this really necessary in today's Military??

#18 ·
Just heard on the news tonight that the DoD will officially change the rules to allow women into the combat arms. Some specialized units will still have discretion about this.

I've been in combat units that were all male, and in combat service and support units that were mixed gender. My personal observation is that the men in mixed gender units tend to suffer in terms of physical fitness. The women simply cannot keep up on things like unit runs and marches, and tend to fall behind. The men, being men, slow down to help them out. This causes their own fitness level to suffer.

I witnessed numerous instances of women shedding their rucksacks, helmets, and weapon while on 12 mile marches. This meant that some of the men were forced to carry their own gear, AND the gear of the women.

I would love to see a female soldier trying to load 120mm tank main gun rounds into the breech of an M1 Abrams' cannon. :rolleyes: They weigh well over 50 lbs each, and the desired rate of fire in a tank engagement is one round every few seconds. I just don't see it.

I'm sure that there are women out there that can whoop my butt, but those are the exception and not the rule. I'm just tired of politically correct generals putting the lives of their soldiers in jeapoardy so they can keep climbing up the career ladder.

The justification was that "women have proven themselves during the last 12 years of war" where there were no front lines, and that they were, in effect, already serving in combat. In my experience, if you dig a little deeper, you will find that the men were doing more than their fair share, to make up for the physical differences between the men and the women - differences which really should need no explanation.

Insane. :mad:

#19 ·
Its a mistake. I believe there are women who could do the job. I just think there are too many men whou wouldn't be able to function properly in a combat situation with women next to them.

#21 ·
we are 23 days into the new year and I have heard nothing but awful news from D.C and this just puts the icing on the cake.

People think the military has a sexual assault problem now, the numbers will sore. Don't take that as saying that they are bad guys, but as a 0311/31 myself I know very well that when they get time off (which is rare) they let loose. Bad things happen when a bunch of black out drunk testosterone filled men party at the barracks without females present. Putting them there is just is a bad idea.

Women also can't handle that sort of life style. We are physically and biologically different for a reason. Women have a different physical qualification test for a reason. How many of my brothers are going to die because some women can't firemen carry them to safety. I weighed 230 without my gear. over 300 with (and I wasn't even carrying my ammo yet (which would be about 35-42 lbs. itself (7 lb. drums))) and grown men who could bench over 400lbs had trouble toting me around over 300 meters.

This gender equality thing needs to go. This applies to civilian life IMO. female firefighters specifically. I'm currently 250 and would like to find a women that would be able to carry me down 5 floors. From my understanding they also have an easier test then the male firefighters. How many lives may have been lost because of this?

My personal experience with women I have met in the military supports my opinion.

#24 ·
I was a Firefighter/Paramedic for 15 years on a metro department and I carried my share of heavy weights down stairs...up hills and a variety of difficult incidents. There were MEN who couldn't "hack" it when women did. Don't be so quick to judge women in the Fire Service. Some of the best LEOs I have seen are women. I just don't think in combat it is a good idea....not gender mixed. Now if they want to have all female specialty teams....that might work. If you don't think so...you don't know many women. In many cases I would rather deal with a combative man than a combative woman. Woman can be "wicked".

Reactions: Foxy
#22 ·
This subject is already running on a thread.

I agree. I think gender mixed combat teams are not a good idea.

#23 ·
I'm all for women in our armed forces, because we have as much reason to put our lives on the line for our families and country like the menfolk. The women, however, need to meet the current physical requirements. I am completely against watering down requirements for political correctness. If anyone can't do the miles and carry the load, then that person - man or woman - should not be accepted. Watering down the rules to allow weaker people in does no one a service. It will, however, make our military weaker. There's plenty of other honorable positions in the military where that person can be utilized.

People think the military has a sexual assault problem now, the numbers will soar.
And that's not even getting into what could happen to an American female soldier in enemy hands, especially an enemy that hates their own women so much they stone them to death for showing an ankle. *shiver*

#33 ·
I'm all for women in our armed forces, because we have as much reason to put our lives on the line for our families and country like the menfolk. The women, however, need to meet the current physical requirements. I am completely against watering down requirements for political correctness. If anyone can't do the miles and carry the load, then that person - man or woman - should not be accepted. Watering down the rules to allow weaker people in does no one a service. It will, however, make our military weaker. There's plenty of other honorable positions in the military where that person can be utilized.
And that's not even getting into what could happen to an American female soldier in enemy hands, especially an enemy that hates their own women so much they stone them to death for showing an ankle. *shiver*
Excellent post. I totally agree.

#27 ·
I have mixed emotions both ways on this subject. I spent 5 yrs in the Navy as a SeaBee. After 30 yrs back in civilian life, I am still in construction. I work with women in this industry all the time. I see women doing the jobs of men and many times, much more deliberate with less hassle. Men on my jobs dont mess with them, they respect their abilities and are willing to work right along side just like the rest of the guys. Both men and women on my jobs help each other to get a specific job done without really caring about their sex. The women I know in construction are suited for the job. They can be just as rough and tough as many of the guys, somtimes more. Construction is hard work depending on your trade.

My wife grew up on a farm. She threw hay, milked cows, drove tractors, combined corn and made lunch and dinner. She worked along side of her brothers day in and day out. Her brothers continue to respect her for her ability to get dirty and do whatever it takes to finish a job. If the tractor was stuck, she would go to the shop, get chains, handyman jacks and anything else she needed to get that tractor out of the mud. She accomplished goals that she had set her mind to accomplish. My wife carries a gun, she has made the mental committment to pull the trigger if absolutely necessary.

The point of my post is, I believe that women are just as capable as men at certain things but it may be dependent on the woman and crew. I understand that women may not have that upper body strength that a man may have but I also know men who couldnt fight their way out of a wet paper bag yet they joined the armed service. I served with many of them. Personally, I think some women would make great soldiers. My wife would have been one of them.

If the military would implement some type of evaluation on a case by case basis, I believe there are women in this world who can perform as a man can. Obviously, the men in the crew would also need to be re-configured to accept the reality that the women in their crew are no different and can perform equally. Yes there will be times that a woman is injured in combat and a man may break down or risk his or his crews life to save the woman. He will do the same thing to save a man in his crew. We hear about hero's all the time.

I believe there is a place for women in the military. They may be suited for support roles or they may be better suited for combat. I think the choice really lies with the woman who feels "she can be all that she can be".

It's America, we all deserve the right to choose. IMHO

Reactions: Foxy
#31 ·
I think the Israelis have been "coed" in their military for some time. It seems to work for them. I have no military experience, so I can only offer my idea. Give them a chance. The navy already has women in subs and combat aircraft. I realize this not the same as front-line combat. Let each of us be judged on our own actions. Basic training weeds out lots of men too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.