Women Officially in Combat Roles

This is a discussion on Women Officially in Combat Roles within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by rstickle Oddly enough there are some military fields, very few, where you can walk into your MILPO office and say "I quit!", ...

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
Like Tree144Likes

Thread: Women Officially in Combat Roles

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    Oddly enough there are some military fields, very few, where you can walk into your MILPO office and say "I quit!", but I doubt Infantry is one of them. I was in one, (Army) MOS 55D (now 89D), and in the 19 years I was in that job I actually saw it happen twice!

Additionally 55D/89D started accepting females in the mid-1970s and since then along with the male casualties, the field has lost a few females, including one of the first females lost in Iraq.
    18 Series, any MOS where maintianing airborne status is a requirement (with exceptions) you can quit from..or at least that how it was a few years ago. Folks can always find their way out of a job also. As far as someone trying to get ut of infantry it has been my understanding it is not difficult. They are usually at strangth or above and many folks in other MOS's came from Combat arms.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

2. Remove Ads

Just so I get this right. Combat will be voluntary for women. Does that mean it will be voluntary for men as well?

Quote Originally Posted by sigs View Post
    Just so I get this right. Combat will be voluntary for women. Does that mean it will be voluntary for men as well?
    Well, it is voluntary right now (Comabt Mos's) . But if you mean they will be included in the draft I beleive they will not be and that is dead wrong. All or nothing. One standard.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Well, it is voluntary right now (Comabt Mos's) . But if you mean they will be included in the draft I beleive they will not be and that is dead wrong. All or nothing. One standard.
    Not talking about the draft but specifically about being required to go to front line offensive combat. As it stands right now it is not really voluntary for men. Doesn't sound quite fair if the "goal" is equality.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by sigs View Post
    Not talking about the draft but specifically about being required to go to front line offensive combat.
    That has been part of the problem since Korea. All the conflicts that have followed have had the problem of knowing where the "front line" is. Such is the changing face of war, Something I often wonder if our political leaders realize, and I hope our military leaders do... It's hard to keep noncombatants away from a front line that no one can define.
    OldVet, aus71383 and Jeanlouise like this.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

There is no front line combat in the wars we fight - there is "inside the wire" and "outside the wire". Being inside the wire doesn't mean you're safe - you're still getting random gunfire, mortars, rockets, not to mention VBIEDs, suicide bombers and even IEDs inside the wire depending on where you are and who you're working with. If you are on a deployment - you may be randomly killed. Some of the Combat MOSs are safer than some of the non-combat ones. It's crazy.

Austin

I have to make a quick comment about women in combat MOS. I saw the requirements lowered for women to be accepted in basic airborne assignments. Unless strict standards are maintained for green berets, rangers, seals, AF para rescue and marine recon, unit effectiveness will be degraded or lost. The JCS must exclude those units for women.

OD*
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Quote Originally Posted by SgtRock_18Z View Post
    I have to make a quick comment about women in combat MOS. I saw the requirements lowered for women to be accepted in basic airborne assignments. Unless strict standards are maintained for green berets, rangers, seals, AF para rescue and marine recon, unit effectiveness will be degraded or lost. The JCS must exclude those units for women.
    I am just curious. What standards were lowered to get into the 82nd, 173rd, and other airborne units? You said assignments, not jump school.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Links