Favorite Level II or III duty holsters?

This is a discussion on Favorite Level II or III duty holsters? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; OK, I am starting my search for duty gear. For starters, I haven't decided on traditional Leather or Nylon. Since I will be Reserve, this ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Xader
  • 1 Post By 64zebra

Thread: Favorite Level II or III duty holsters?

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar

OK, I am starting my search for duty gear.

For starters, I haven't decided on traditional Leather or Nylon. Since I will be Reserve, this will not be full time, but I do anticipate trying to do Patrol fairly often. Our county is 1,800+ sq miles, with only a couple of Deputies on duty at any one time. I plan on buying my own IIIA vest and a seperate plate carrier with (probably) Ceramic plates. We can carry our own Patrol Rifle as long as we qualify with it.

Back to the original question--I will be carrying one of my 1911 Kimbers w/ CT Laser Grips (Commander sized) as duty weapon w/ 3 additional mags. I want a secure holster, but I also want a draw that is as natural as possible. I've thought about the Blackhawk Serpa--but not sure about the use of the trigger finger "release", as I'm concerned about under stress keeping the trigger finger pressed down and unconsciously transitioning into finger on the trigger as drawing--a recipe for disaster.

Thoughts????

Thanks!!!!!
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

The serpa is easy to train with, to activate the button your finger is indexed outside of the trigger guard, if you know what I mean? As long as you hold your finger where you naturally would to draw the weapon then your fine. Quite a few of the Troopers I work with carry serpa holsters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Distinguished Member
    I'm a big fan of Safariland with ALS. Instead of using your trigger finger to release, it has a thumb release. This is especially useful for guns with a thumb safety. After releasing, your thumb is positioned correctly to disengage the safety.

I use the 6378. It comes with either paddle or belt slide attachments.

The 6378 is a concealment model and is only level I retention. Your department may require a higher level of retention, in which case, something like the Model 6365 (level III, upgradeable to IV) might be a better option.

Safariland holsters are also available in a few colors and patterns, including basket-weave to match traditional duty belt gear.

If I were you I'd check into what the departments issues, or recomends for a service holster, and related equipment.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Our Department does not issue anything but one uniform and the badge. Everything else is on us--oh yeah, they have some donated vests.

There does not seem to be a significant consensus in the department regarding what folks use. Folks in Montana are a pretty independant lot
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

I like the Safariland 070 series. I have three of them. One of the finishes they offer is a nylon look. List on them is about $160 but you can find them on e-bay both new and used for a lot less.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

JMB
    Safariland...take your pick.

So the department dont have standards or recomandations for it's full time officers? You'd probably be better off having this discussion with the full timed uniformed officers.

Safariland SS-III is what I carried for the last 20 some odd years of my career.

Starting with a S&W Model 66 and finishing with the rig below for a Glock-21 SF.

P02140500.jpg
    click image to enlarge....

http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum1072.php

Train with it and learn it properly.

No one has come up with a better Level III holster in MHO.

Regards,

FlaRon
    "When the people fear the government there is tyranny. When the government fears the people there is liberty". T. Jefferson

II Timothy 1:7 God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind.

VIP Member
    I first had the Level IV Safariland Raptor
    (press down, rotate hood, depress button on back of holster with middle finger, rock back, draw) It was good, but then I needed a new one for use with weapon mounted light
    I got the Safariland 6360 ALS Level III (press down, rotate hood, thumb presses ALS, draw). This is a very fast, secure holster. I've got the open top ALS for my off-duty carry so I use the same motion and muscle memory with the ALS.
    I took the Sentry hood/shroud off (Level IV with it) so I only have the rotating hood and ALS (Level III)
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Blackhawk Serpa is what I carry and the one my department recommends. I've had no issues with it at all.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

Safariland Raptor Level 3. I'd stay away from Serpa holsters, too many issues with trigger fingers ending up on the trigger due to the poor design/location of the release.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve261 View Post
    ............I'd stay away from Serpa holsters, too many issues with trigger fingers ending up on the trigger due to the poor design/location of the release.
    I understand (and have read about) the "issues" with the Serpa. Some ranges ban them. This is based on the finger getting on the trigger.

Trigger fingers ending up on the trigger is due to improper or inadequate training.

The location of the release is in line with the frame/slide area where a finger should be indexed during the draw anyway. This is the same location I place my index finger on the Safariland holsters I use and I don't get my finger on the trigger.
    Personally I don't like them, but that's personal taste, not because I think they are dangerous.

If an officer has been using certain types of holsters for some length of time, and been through thousands and thousands of draws, then they go to a Serpa holster, they will most likely have issues unless they re-train themselves for the equipment.
    There are plenty of officers out there with not issues that started on a Serpa, or have used one exclusively since switching to it, and have practiced a LOT of draws.

I had to do a similar amount of re-training when I went from the Level IV Raptor to the Level III ALS.
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Links