They are violating FAA flight rules, and low level flight rules over populated areas, and performing any training drills in populated areas.
Being AD currently, I would not accept an order that went against the constitution or my own morality. I can say 90% of the people I work with feel the same way. The other 10%, I dont know well enough. I was a part of the first C-SMRF mission. It was the first time American Soldiers had been "deployed" on American soil, or so they said. We didnt "deploy" anywhere. We did one training mission at an abandoned airfield in FL. We did convoy our wheeled vehicles from GA to FL, but that was to save time/money. We did receive non lethal training and crowd control certification, but the mission was in the wake of Katrina and is supposed to support a CBRN attack, the type of which includes natural disasters.
Maybe some people do need to see the military in their cities. Perhaps you wouldnt have had people shooting at the troops from rooftops after Katrina. I would not enter a place to help people and not return fire if fired upon. All it takes is one nut job and a video camera and some editing to turn a self defense situation into troops slaughtering civilians.
That is what I am scared of. Go to help and someone saw a video that went viral and now everyone thinks its us VS them. The American population doesnt know its military so it would be afraid. Why? Why shouldnt the population become a bit more comfortable with what we do? Yes answers and warnings need to be given, but Americans need to start seeing troops so if we do come to help they remember that time when they met PVT Snuffy and that guy was OK.
Sure you could flip that around, but you can put a spin on anything.
The citizens in Houston were not scared about troops taking over the city, they were concerned that there was an attack or something else going on.
agree with Suntzu
I don't know this for sure, so this is just my opinion just like everyone else is expressing.
My opinion is based on my training classes that I've taken covering this stuff.
My first reaction to this thread and news story is 2 words:
Beslan, Russia 2004
Terrorist attack at an elementary school. First day of school, parents taking part in tradition of bringing gifts and flowers to teachers. Attackers forced men and older boys to be labor and fortify entrances then killed them. Women and girls raped. Group took over school for 3 days, over 300 young kids, parents, school staff killed. Sniper in elevated position picked off young kids when they escaped and went to a water fountain in the school yard since they had not been allowed to drink for 2 days. Terrorist groups (including al-Qaeda) have said this was a practice run for schools in America.
Mumbai, India 2008
Terrorist group Lashkar-e-Taiba (who has expressed they wanted to get more notoriety than al-Qaeda through their acts of terror) sent 10 killers via hijacked boat into this port city. They killed the boat's crew, except the captain, forced him to navigate until they were ready to take over and beheaded him. They then split up into 2-man teams and proceeded to attack various highly populated targets across the city. This group and others have hinted that this type of attack is being planned for port cities here in the U.S.
And we all know how well our borders and ports are secured.
just food for thought