Why Chicago Has So Many Murders - Page 2

Why Chicago Has So Many Murders

This is a discussion on Why Chicago Has So Many Murders within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Stevew And that is the difference between trying to solve a problem and trying to accomplish an agenda. I can't believe I ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 25 of 25
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Why Chicago Has So Many Murders

  1. #16
    VIP Member Array Secret Spuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    3,191
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    And that is the difference between trying to solve a problem and trying to accomplish an agenda. I can't believe I am going to say this, it's hard, good job New York City. Who was the mayor that started this program. I think I can guess.
    This was developed and instituted under the late great Mayor Koch.
    Rock and Glock and Hopyard like this.


  2. #17
    Member Array Dougb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Minn
    Posts
    174
    An Analysis of the influence of Population density

    “By and large, the available evidence increasingly tends to suggest that most types of crime tend to increase in levels of occurrence with increasing population density. This relationship, however, is moderated by SES. A cluster of affluent high-rise apartments in Mumbai or New York may have high density, but will also have a high level of guardianship, thus inhibiting crime. On the other hand, a high density poverty area will incorporate in its lifestyle incentives for predatory behaviours and disincentives for guardianship, given the hazards associated with confronting criminals (on their turf) or witnessing criminal acts.+

    Harries - Population density and crime - IJCJS vol 1 issue 2

    The conclusion would be: Incentives to guard property (more police attention, and armed population that can protect its self) reduce acts of violence. Reduce the protection level and crime becomes profitable. Actual punishment works.
    atctimmy and Naufragia like this.

  3. #18
    Member Array Naufragia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Black Hills, South Dakota
    Posts
    475
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougb View Post
    An Analysis of the influence of Population density

    “By and large, the available evidence increasingly tends to suggest that most types of crime tend to increase in levels of occurrence with increasing population density. This relationship, however, is moderated by SES. A cluster of affluent high-rise apartments in Mumbai or New York may have high density, but will also have a high level of guardianship, thus inhibiting crime. On the other hand, a high density poverty area will incorporate in its lifestyle incentives for predatory behaviours and disincentives for guardianship, given the hazards associated with confronting criminals (on their turf) or witnessing criminal acts.+

    Harries - Population density and crime - IJCJS vol 1 issue 2

    The conclusion would be: Incentives to guard property (more police attention, and armed population that can protect its self) reduce acts of violence. Reduce the protection level and crime becomes profitable. Actual punishment works.
    Excellent post. Excellent link. Thank you.

  4. #19
    VIP Member
    Array atctimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Gastonville
    Posts
    6,741
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    This was developed and instituted under the late great Mayor Koch.
    Did he pass today?
    A word of warning; if you can afford to do more Bear does not recommend giving your wife two pieces of bubble gum for her birthday.

  5. #20
    VIP Member
    Array OldVet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Posts
    17,571
    Because the city that doesn't allow guns is full of them?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

  6. #21
    Senior Member Array rugergunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    789
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Since most murders are probably gang related they use fear and intimidation to make sure there are no witnesses,and if anybody decides to be a witness as soon as they become known as a possible witness they very likely will be the next homicide victim
    I can dig it.
    I would rather die on my feet, than to live on my knees.

  7. #22
    VIP Member Array ccw9mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    28,266
    IMO ...

    Chicago's a large economy unto itself, supporting meat packing, finance, transportation and corporate businesses; it has lots of people; is reasonably wealthy, all things considered; has been a big draw for unsavory characters since it became a "hub"; has been a staple spot for organized crime; has a large "underclass" that lives largely outside the prime opportunities in the area; has a large international airport and is a hub for train/bus travel; has long had a sizable population of folks who are suspicious of police involvement, often coming from places in the world where such involvement is often intertwined with corruption and "disappearing" (IOW, some might say, they've come to the right place).

    Add to that a crappy economy, rampant and growing gang problem, and the simple fact that it's one big victim disarmament zone ... well, in many respects, it's sure to be seen by many sorts as a criminal's paradise. No real surprises, there.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

  8. #23
    Moderator
    Array Rock and Glock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Colorado at 11,650'
    Posts
    13,064
    Did he pass today?
    Yes. Congestive heart failure. Age 88 IIRC.


    The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

  9. #24
    VIP Member Array Secret Spuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    3,191
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Since most murders are probably gang related they use fear and intimidation to make sure there are no witnesses,and if anybody decides to be a witness as soon as they become known as a possible witness they very likely will be the next homicide victim
    In a place like NYC, Chicago, New Orleans, L/A, or any other highly populated location... There is always a witness. The hard part is finding one... The harder part is getting a statement out of them.

  10. #25
    VIP Member Array Secret Spuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    3,191
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Because the city that doesn't allow guns is full of them?
    Contrary to popular belief... NY is pretty much a must issue City. While it's next to impossible to obtain a permit to carry a firearm for the average person... The City will issue a premis permit. Admitedly they will try to sandbag the applicant, they will look for reasons to deny the permit... They will even drag the application investigation out longer than they should... Eventually they will issue a premis permit. This is good for having a firearm in your home for self protection, and may be carried unloaded in a locked box to a target range. There are probably more legal guns in NYC than King Bloomburg will ever admit.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

content
,
how many gun related crimes prosecuted in chicago in 2012?
,
murder rate for chicago in 1956
,
why are there so many murders in chicago
,
why chicago has so much crime
,
why crime so high in chicago
,

why does chicago have so many murders

,
why does richmond have a higher murder rate than nyc but lower than chicago
,
why is chicagos crime rate higher than nyc?
,
why so many homicides in chicago
,
why so many murders in chicago
,
why+is+there+so+much+crime+in chicago
Click on a term to search for related topics.