Why Chicago Has So Many Murders

This is a discussion on Why Chicago Has So Many Murders within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; According to John Miller, Chicago gun crime is so high because gun crimes there are seldom prosecuted. New York City's gun crime rate is so ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Why Chicago Has So Many Murders

VIP Member

According to John Miller, Chicago gun crime is so high because gun crimes there are seldom prosecuted. New York City's gun crime rate is so low because criminals are jailed. Makes sense to me.
    Why is NYC violence rate lower than other U.S. cities? - CBS News
    cn262 likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Ask Rahm.... it's the fault of all of the gun manufacturers.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Ask Rahm.... it's the fault of all of the gun manufacturers.
    I trust Miller's perspective more than that of a Chicago politician.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

I guess that bad guys aren't all that stupid. They have a 33% chance of gun charges being dismissed outright - and that's after being caught. Pretty good odds from their perspective. I'm sure that each and every one of those guys loves Rahm and his cronies.

Since most murders are probably gang related they use fear and intimidation to make sure there are no witnesses,and if anybody decides to be a witness as soon as they become known as a possible witness they very likely will be the next homicide victim
    rugergunner and mano3 like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I dont know the how or why that Chicago, or New Orleans has such a higher rate of violence than NYC. I do know how NYC worked to keep violence in check.

First off IMO there cant be an agends. It cant be about gun violence. The subject must be just plain violence. DOA from a so called assault rifle is exactly the same as being beaten to death with a bat. If anything death by other means than a gun requires a higher level of violence.

The NYPD, the Vera Institute of Justice, the five District Arttorneys, and probably a few others looked at crime and violence from a clinical standpoint. They came away with several conclusions. One glaring point that resulted in the reduction of violent crime in New York. That fact is... A high % of crime within the city was being commited by a reletively few individuals who are recidivists. And that these individuals have been guests of the city on many occasions, but were able to navigate their way out of the system. Most are arrested for pettit crimes over and over.

The soloution was to institute a program to identify these individuals, and give them some special attention. I wont go into the criteria to make the list but the "Career Criminal" program was instituted. A fairly large team of detectives working out of a centeral ,ocation was formed, and the District Attornies formed career criminal units within their offices. The goal of the program was to get a career criminal as much time as possible for any crime they were arrested for. Violent or not. It worked like this... If a uniformed officer arrested a guy for ..ohhh lets say shop lifting. Grand larceny. Normally the arrest would lead to a plea... usually with time served, or a light sentence. Not for a career criminal. The Officer would call the CCIU (career criminal investigation unit) The Unit would identify the individual as a career criminal. A detective would call the officer back and assist him to enhance the case. (a lot of legal goblygook) If the underlying case was one of violence the detective may respond to the Pct. to personally take over preparing the case. When the case reached the D/A it would be flagged as a CC case, and the arrainging ADA would accept no pleas, or dispositions. The case would be assigned to a CC ADA, who would prosicute to the fullest extent pushing for a maximum sentence.

In addition there was the CCAU (Career Criminal Apprehension Unit) Of the worse of the worse would be kept under survailence... and when they commited a crime they were jumped by CCAU detectives.

Anyway this is IMO what changed the crime rate in NY.I'd be interested in seeing a place like Chicago try something like this and identify their own career criminals.
    Hopyard, atctimmy, Bkrazy and 4 others like this.

AS far as GUN violence... The NYPD instituted a program where the narcotis division of OCCB TNT teams were tasked to also work gun pattern, and cases. They expended their undercover operations to include the buying of illegal guns, as well as narcotics.

Then there were a few FIST teams. (Firearm Intelligence and Siezure Team) I was a member of one until retirement. We were tasked to follow gun violence patterns and apprehend individuals using and carrying illegal guns. (kind of like the old stake out team) We also were responsible for developing intelligence to be passed on to the Narcotics TNT teams.
    knowltk likes this.

Don't you remember? It's Sarah Palin's fault!

On the liberal blogs I frequent (for the sake of defending our rights), they consistently blame all of the gun crime on the NRA and Republicans
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    On the liberal blogs I frequent (for the sake of defending our rights), they consistently blame all of the gun crime on the NRA and Republicans
    Well Bush can't be personally responsible for everything; they have to spread it around some.
    NCSoxFan likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    I dont know the how or why that Chicago, or New Orleans has such a higher rate of violence than NYC. I do know how NYC worked to keep violence in check.

In addition there was the CCAU (Career Criminal Apprehension Unit) Of the worse of the worse would be kept under survailence... and when they commited a crime they were jumped by CCAU detectives.

Anyway this is IMO what changed the crime rate in NY.I'd be interested in seeing a place like Chicago try something like this and identify their own career criminals.
    And that is the difference between trying to solve a problem and trying to accomplish an agenda. I can't believe I am going to say this, it's hard, good job New York City. Who was the mayor that started this program. I think I can guess.
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    I thought I heard it was due to global warming.
    Naufragia, mano3 and Secret Spuk like this.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

Senior Moderator
    I'd be interested in seeing a place like Chicago try something like this and identify their own career criminals.
    If they did that there wouldnt be anyone left to run the city.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

They just can't get along without their community organizer in chief.

History repeats itself. In the early 90's, a Bridgeport, CT kindergartner on a school bus was shot in the head by some drug dealers shooting at each other. There was a hue and cry about "guns on the street" and "Lord" Lowell Weicker as Governor called for new legislation restricting guns. I made it to the hearings at the capital, too late to sign up to speak, but I sat through over 4 hours of speakers.

The most noteworthy testimony came from the Bridgeport chief of police, who stated that most gun charges brought against criminals ended up getting dropped because they were so hard to prove. The local prosecutors thought it more "efficient" to bargain away the gun felonies in order to gain convictions on lesser drug charges. Further, in spite of Federal gun laws being broken, he said the local Federal prosecutors had no interest in pursuing "small" criminals. The head of the legislative committee (appropriately named Looney) asked several questions of the chief to draw this information out. Most of us in the gallery were dumbfounded by what we heard, but Looney either had a good poker face or he was unfazed by the chief's answers.

So now it's 20 years later, and even stricter gun legislation is proposed at the national level. I would implore all of us to determine at the local level if existing gun laws are being prosecuted, and if prosecution is successful, what punishment is applied. My personal suspicion is that the answers are "not much" for both.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links