Hilarious/Great Interaction with LEO tonight - thought I'd share.

This is a discussion on Hilarious/Great Interaction with LEO tonight - thought I'd share. within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Wife and I are at dinner tonight, and there's eight State Patrol officers a few tables away. When I got up to refill my drink, ...

Like Tree13Likes
  • 13 Post By Jemsaal

Thread: Hilarious/Great Interaction with LEO tonight - thought I'd share.

Hilarious/Great Interaction with LEO tonight - thought I'd share.

Wife and I are at dinner tonight, and there's eight State Patrol officers a few tables away. When I got up to refill my drink, the last LEO was leaving and walked by me. I gestured to his belt with everything hanging off it and said, "No way I could wear that thing, it and my pants would be down around my ankles."

He laughed, started a discussion about how much it weighed, and then after a couple comments, asked if I was carrying. I was a little surprised. Before I could gather myself to answer, he says, "It's okay if you are."

I then answer, "Yes."

He looks me straight in the eyes and says, "Good!" Then, proceeds to tell my wife that she should NOT wait until she's more comfortable with a gun, but to get her CWL ASAP and that moreover, he WANTS me and others armed.

Of course, through this discussion we find out he's from New York - accent and attitude says the city as well as the state.
    Then he asks, "So, do you have your stockpile of ammo yet?"

We answer, "no, but we're working on it."

"Good! Make sure you have it."

The conversation went on like this for probably twenty minutes. I had the feeling that if I had asked, we very well could have sat back down at a table and started comparing weapons. Best LEO conversation I've EVER had.

Last edited by rstickle; February 1st, 2013 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Language work around

2. Remove Ads

Nice! I have found most of the AZ police officers I have spoken with are like this. What part of AZ are you in?

LOL, Yeah as a Georgia southerner I used to work with about 10 guys from NY, Long Island etc. Good Lord when you get them all into a room it just multiplies 10X and it's hilarious to see them get all wound up about Hockey, Politics and other things. But the old style New York type of person can be a refreshing change to people who may seem mild, friendly and smiley, then stab you in the back. I used to always tell rookies coming onto our team, "These team mates will never stab you in the back, No, they will stab you right in the front". Other than the liberal politics of the Northern cities I actually love the people a lot. Good encounter, more people that bash cops, need to experience some of the good ones, glad to read this account, thanks for posting it. Wish you could have gotten a recording or video, would be entertaining. On the other hand when you use southern euphemisms, they look at you and say "Where the fok do you come up with dese tings?".. Mutual entertainment.

While their Mayors might be tools I have found New York and Chicago cops to be excellent company. I have many fond memories of the tent city parties during police week. I think a lot of folks would be amazed at how "normal" cops really are.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jemsaal View Post
    Then he asks, "So, do you have your stockpile of ammo yet?"

We answer, "no, but we're working on it."

"Good! Make sure you have it."
    Uh, er, what does he know that we don't?
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Refreshing to have a good interaction with LEOs for a change. I actually am friendly with a couple cops around here and they're good guys. Just a job, really..

VIP Member
    good interaction

I've had numerous situations and conversations like that with folks when they see me in uniform. I sort of chastise the people with CHLs around here that are not carrying when I find out about it.

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    ......I have many fond memories of the tent city parties during police week.....
    I am really trying to make that this year.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Senior Member Array BigCityChief's Avatar

Yes, we ARE normal!

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    While their Mayors might be tools I have found New York and Chicago cops to be excellent company. I have many fond memories of the tent city parties during police week. I think a lot of folks would be amazed at how "normal" cops really are.
    I had the great pleasure to serve as a New York City police officer for 28+ years, retiring in 2008. My father served for 34 years and our careers overlapped for 9 years; my brother's career overlapped mine for 20 years. We became cops because we were impressed with our Dad's commitment to public service and we loved working for and with interesting people. Cops are some of the funniest and most charitable people I've known, including a bunch of great guys I've gotten to know from great places like Chicago, Miami, Boston, and Tucson, to name just a few. You should know that most cops really like people in general; otherwise, they couldn't go out on patrol everyday, dealing with the sometimes unpleasant things they've got to handle.

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerB View Post
    Nice! I have found most of the AZ police officers I have spoken with are like this.
    Roger that. Plus there is the general understanding among Arizona LE that everyone carries... which, even though it's far from true, that understanding minimizes ugly surprises for them.

The cops I did some courses with were pretty much of a common mind that people who take the time to get a CCW are the good guys.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

In my CCL class the other day, the instructor told a story about a cop that pulled over a guy who happened to be carrying.

When it got to that point in the conversation, the officer reams the guy out for fifteen minutes concerning his weapon. The gist of the reaming was, "If you're not going to have a round in the chamber at all times, you might as well leave the gun at home." I'd imagine that the guy now walks around with a round chambered.

Seriously, you have to love the LEO's in Arizona. I told the officer that I hear all the time about "Don't tell the LEO this" or "Don't tell them that." Then I said, "but in Arizona, if anything actually happened concerning the federal government and taking weapons, you all would be leading the way in the fight against it - the rest of us would have to fall in line behind you.

He laughed - and then informed me that I was right.

Links