DHS Confiscates Gun Collection

This is a discussion on DHS Confiscates Gun Collection within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I think the dude is screwed. I collect guns (over 150 now) and have good documetnation on every one and every purchase, escpecially if there ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: DHS Confiscates Gun Collection

I think the dude is screwed. I collect guns (over 150 now) and have good documetnation on every one and every purchase, escpecially if there was no SN. This doesn't smell right to me. I agree with some that he is buying and selling for the purpose of making a profit and hiding behind being a collector.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

2. Remove Ads

But they cite info wars as a source! How could we question that?
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

If there are truly issues with weapons without serial numbers, then it could be legitimate imho. But why DHS?Not BATF? Even if they were involved in cross border issues. The BATF has the experience while trying to justify an AWB with Fast & Furious operation. I agree info wars needs verified. But if it happened, lets hope the truth prevails...
    RIP Jeff Cooper

Reading a couple more articles about this, and...

The had a warrant to specifically seize the firearms.

He is also under investigation in Canada for a storage unit with 80 or so illegal guns in it also.

There is alot more to this story than what is being reported by infowars.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I have antique arms that were produced by the manufacturer without SNs. I also have one Italian firearm and one French that both have the exact SAME SN. If registration became a requirement, how would the govt account for those?
    2 for the price of 1
    Say 'what' again! I dare you! I double dare you!-Jules Winnfield aka Samuel L Jackson

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by knowltk View Post
    I think that the main thing that bothers me about this is that it seems to be a case of "guilty until proven innocent."

In the days of King Hussein that is the RULE, not the exception.

I don't have any inside information on this case (get that out of the way up front), and I don't know anything about infowars that printed the story, but I do know why DHS would be working this instead of ATF(E).

After 911, DHS and more specifically Homeland Security Investigations or HSI was created from the former U.S. Customs Service, Office of Investigations, combined with the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) Investigations. The laws that each of these agencies enforced prior to the merger, are now enforced by HSI Investigations. As a former U.S. Customs Special Agent, I worked investigations that involved munitions (which includes firearms) & critical technology that were being smuggled out of the United States to countries that weren't allowed to possess those munitions or technology.

With the mention of an investigation being conducted in Canada as well, I'd guess thats why DHS is leading the investigation. DHS will work with ATF on the case, because ATFE will have the expertise and data bases on the various weapons. Lot more to this story then what's in this article for sure.
    Chorizo and USM1976 like this.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Unfortunately there are three sides to every story: each party's and the third side, the truth.
    Chorizo likes this.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    All this and no charges filed. Something is fishy about this....
    Last edited by sniper58; February 3rd, 2013 at 10:53 PM. Reason: sp
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by sniper58 View Post
    All this and no charges filed. Something is fishy about this....
    It's really not that unusual. The prosecutors always prefer to go the grand jury route, if possible, as it gives the government time to get their case in better order. Had an arrest been made on site, the speedy trial clock is triggered, which puts the gov't behind the curve.

Truth will come out eventually I'd guess.
    USM1976 likes this.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

You won't get the truth if they don't want you to!

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    It looks to me that the article is tap dancing around the "Collector" was buying and selling a large number of guns with a Type 3 FFL or Collectors license. The documentation they [ the ATF] is looking for is is Who did he buy from and who did he sell to. Also how much did he make off the sale. I have an 03 FFL and I can make occasional sales to improve my collection legally. But I cant sell guns as a part of my income. The last time I renewed my license they added a series of questions relating to how many guns had I sold in the last 3 years. In some county's in Ca the ATF has been making home visits to insure the new license holders are clear on this part of the law. DR

I understand this guy looks fishy and those in the LEO know of the case might well be correct. HOWEVER, You had better be darned sure when you confiscate private property that 1) You are ready to charge said person with a crime punishable under the current laws of the USA, and 2) be ready to defend that in court.

So far, it seems these knuckleheads have neither and this is where our legal system is screwed up. These officers, right or wrong intentions, HAVE VIOLATED SOMEONES RIGHTS. Charge the man, back it up in court, or give him his property back.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by Tzadik View Post
    There is alot more to this story than what is being reported by infowars.
    Imagine that.
    Whole lot of issues here. Is he "in the business" or not? Beside the run of the mill laws we all have to deal with if he is shipping out of the country he could well be violating ITAR.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    I understand this guy looks fishy and those in the LEO know of the case might well be correct. HOWEVER, You had better be darned sure when you confiscate private property that 1) You are ready to charge said person with a crime punishable under the current laws of the USA, and 2) be ready to defend that in court.

So far, it seems these knuckleheads have neither and this is where our legal system is screwed up. These officers, right or wrong intentions, HAVE VIOLATED SOMEONES RIGHTS. Charge the man, back it up in court, or give him his property back.
    Their only real proof of a crime are in his record books, and gun inventory. Ill bet they hold on to this for awhile. It takes someone matching all of his acquisitions and disposal records, then they will be contacting all of the new owners to see what they paid for their guns, etc... It will be a while. DR

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links