"The Man who shot Osama bin Laden...is screwed"

This is a discussion on "The Man who shot Osama bin Laden...is screwed" within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; According to an article in Esquire Magazine... CNN's Wolf Blitzer interviewed the author of the article... The SEAL quit after 16 years... didn't make his ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: "The Man who shot Osama bin Laden...is screwed"

"The Man who shot Osama bin Laden...is screwed"

According to an article in Esquire Magazine...

CNN's Wolf Blitzer interviewed the author of the article...

The SEAL quit after 16 years... didn't make his 20... so no pension... One of SEAL team 6's members who was publicly named, (not the shooter) has his photo on a jihadist site with a price on his head...

The man who actually pulled the trigger on OBL, is out of work, separated from his wife. Trained her how to put the kids in the bathtub and shoot through the door of the bedroom, should an intruder (or a jihadi) come into the house...

What's he get from the Navy?

Bupkus.

Shame, that.

Story here

PS, I've liked Esquire Magazine since way back in '81.. when they published this GEM
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    There's gotta be more to this story.
    NCSoxFan and Secret Spuk like this.

I'm sure lots of people know who he is.
    Glock 20sf, Glock 19 gen4, Glock 26 gen3, Colt 1911 Series 80

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis View Post
    There's gotta be more to this story.
    Yeah.. the Gov't offered him "witness protection" the armed forces don't have any program in place.

Quote Originally Posted by RubenZ View Post
    I'm sure lots of people know who he is.
    I hope it ain't the wrong people.
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    No, he's not "screwed." It's journalistic sensationalism.

Unless he was kicked out early, he knew the consequences of leaving the service prior to retirement, just as do all other service members who leave. No one who leaves at the end of their enlistment receives a pension or medical care without some sort of disability. If he didn't wish to continue the "SeAL" life, I'm sure he could have found a slot elsewhere to fill in the Navy. And he'll probably get better treatment and service thru the VA then I do as a retiree.

Separated but still living with loving wife? A bit odd there.

He's only facing the issues every service member faces upon re-entering the civilian world. It ain't easy, I know. He made a career decison, so now he has to live with it. We all have to do that, without making headlines. I find it a bit shameful to project him as some poor, poor, mistreated hero.
    msgt/ret, Tzadik, 40Bob and 15 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    I just had a similar argument with Suntzu on another thread.

'Bottom line is OldVet is right. Every service member signs up for same deal, whether they become a hero or not. We all make our choices and take our chances.
    atctimmy likes this.

I'm on the "more to the story" side. Everyone knows 20 is the magic number - he chose to get out.
    msgt/ret, NCSoxFan and Supertac45 like this.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    OldVet; Better treatment than a retiree? My military career was cut short by service connected medical problems and I receive the same outstanding medical care as offered to all veterans, Medal of Honor recipients or just National Defense Ribbon recipients.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    No, he's not "screwed." It's journalistic sensationalism.

Unless he was kicked out early, he knew the consequences of leaving the service prior to retirement, just as do all other service members who leave. No one who leaves at the end of their enlistment receives a pension or medical care without some sort of disability. If he didn't wish to continue the "SeAL" life, I'm sure he could have found a slot elsewhere to fill in the Navy. And he'll probably get better treatment and service thru the VA then I do as a retiree.

Separated but still living with loving wife? A bit odd there.

He's only facing the issues every service member faces upon re-entering the civilian world. It ain't easy, I know. He made a career decison, so now he has to live with it. We all have to do that, without making headlines. I find it a bit shameful to project him as some poor, poor, mistreated hero.
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post

'Bottom line is OldVet is right. Every service member signs up for same deal, whether they become a hero or not. We all take our chances.
    Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    Everyone knows 20 is the magic number - he chose to get out.
    I agree with all of these statements as well...

He made his choice to get out... he could've had 4 more years... perhaps not active... He chose not to. And maybe he felt his last action made him special... Who knows

The "more to the story?" We aren't anymore "entitled" to know that than we are to know any one else's reason for separation from their job. This is the part we know... He's out. He (his family) might be legitimately in danger, if he's outed by some means... (the other guy was). And he and his loved ones may not have any outside protection other than his own skills.

The guy who ordered the kill shot (perhaps for his own aggrandizement) is protected (and rightfully so). But the guy who pulled the trigger is left hanging... and somebody will leak his name, sooner or later... I'd rather have seen him stay out his service. And we won't likely know the reasons for his separation... but, I don't want to see him in peril for doing his job, now that he's out of it.
    goldshellback and d2jlking like this.
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    .. but, I don't want to see him in peril for doing his job, now that he's out of it.
    This is where I would think we owe him. He quit, too bad. That happens to everyone in the military and to
    anyone who holds a corporate or government job. There are eligibility rules for various benefits and all know them.

Being the man who shot OBL however puts him in a special situation. He and his family need protection,
    and if necessary some economic help if needed to make the protection work. If the military is not
    able to do that, and if he doesn't fit the categories of folks who are protected (usually informants), then CONGRESS
    could quickly pass a law enabling the use of either military or civilian resources to the purpose.

He doesn't deserve a special retirement deal, or a special health care deal, but he does deserve protection
    from retaliation.

We will be one very very very embarrassed country if Iranian, Taliban, Al-Quida, or freelance operatives
    kill him.
    oneshot likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    According to an article in Esquire Magazine...

Story here

PS, I've liked Esquire Magazine since way back in '81.. when they published this GEM
    It is all a BIG lie.

PS, I have NEVER liked, read or even looked at an Esquire Rag.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Rush Limbaugh just exposed this story as a fraud...a hoax made up by the guy who wrote the article. "He thought it would be a good story."

Article from Drudge Report...right under the original article...second column.

"MSM serves up big, steaming pile of BS about former Navy SEAL who shot Osama bin Laden"

(This is a direct quote of the article title.)
    atctimmy and mano3 like this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

VIP Member
    mano3 and Spirit51 like this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

That second story you linked to was fantastic.
    goldshellback likes this.
    "What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit51 View Post
    Rush Limbaugh just exposed this story as a fraud...a hoax made up by the guy who wrote the article. "He thought it would be a good story."

Article from Drudge Report...right under the original article...second column.

"MSM serves up big, steaming pile of BS about former Navy SEAL who shot Osama bin Laden"

(This is a direct quote of the article title.)
    Drudge links to "twitchy" who only corrected the portion on his transitional health care... similar to COBRA for private sector folks. And, if I left my employer under less than amicable terms, whatever they may be.. and was denied benefits, even if due to my own ignorance of the regulations... I might say "they screwed me" too... I'd like to see more facts, more of the story... short of having the serviceman air his grievances publicly, how do we determine the veracity of the entire story? Hard to do.

Rush Limbaugh? whodat? A fraud calling someone else a fraud? Don't waste my time quoting him. And, I usta be a ditto head, who advertised his own business on the Rush Limbaugh Show, daily (because I believed in what he said).

As to "... thought it would be a good story" what journalist who gets a story, true or not, doesn't think it'd be a good story?

If you wanna quote El Rushbo, why not quote O'Reilly, too? I mean O'Reilly is suggesting national registration, and selective allowances for "Assault weapons." Yet another fraud, who is touted as a spokesperson for the right wing.

There is no one source for news... I am willing to consider them all... and frequently do.

But, the bottom line for me on this one is... We don't know all the facts... and we may never... I'm for personal accountability... but if this is "the guy who pulled the trigger" we should afford him some protection. otherwise, he's not entitled to special treatment.
    wdbailey likes this.
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links